The Olympus TG-6 is a macro beast

Started Jul 30, 2019 | Discussions
smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 211
The Olympus TG-6 is a macro beast

I'm just starting to get into macro, yet many photos turn out very well (and could be much better with practice). The macro focus is phenomenal and the FD-1 helps immensely. With good lighting and still subjects, focus stacking can work miracles.

Below are some samples...a larger TG-6 macro collection is available on Flickr

Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,469
Re: The Olympus TG-6 is a macro beast

Great collection, well done.

Dale

smithaa02 wrote:

I'm just starting to get into macro, yet many photos turn out very well (and could be much better with practice). The macro focus is phenomenal and the FD-1 helps immensely. With good lighting and still subjects, focus stacking can work miracles.

Below are some samples...a larger TG-6 macro collection is available on Flickr

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Loraine Arnold Senior Member • Posts: 1,261

Great pictures. I have the FD-1 also. Do you use it all the time ? I am not quite sure when to use it or when not to.

-- hide signature --

Loraine

Loraine Arnold's gear list:Loraine Arnold's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
rolandb
rolandb Senior Member • Posts: 2,939

Superb collection of images Aaron.

I've "followed" you on flickr and sent you a pm.

Roland.

rolandb's gear list:rolandb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Olympus TG-5
OP smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 211

Loraine Arnold wrote:

Great pictures. I have the FD-1 also. Do you use it all the time ? I am not quite sure when to use it or when not to.

I don't know if most users use the flash as much as I do.  Because I prefer to shoot macros without a tripod and mostly in max zoom, to me it really helps.  I also like how it brings out the colors and dynamic range in the subjects.  Practically speaking...if my macro subject isn't being stacked, I'm using the FD-1.  The FD-1 has a great secondary benefit in acting as a defacto lens hood which provides good protection for the camera.

The FD-1 is great of course but there are times when stacking (or even bracketing) is better...especially with 3D subjects.

Below is a parasitic dodder plant attacking another plant.  The first image is without stacking and the second is with...it makes a huge difference.  The cool thing about the TG-6 is you can change stacking tolerances...lower when it is windy and higher for better quality.

TG-6 - Regular Macro - No Stack/No Flash

TG-6 - Stacked Macro - No Flash

rolandb

smithaa02 wrote:

Loraine Arnold wrote:

I don't know if most users use the flash as much as I do. Because I prefer to shoot macros without a tripod and mostly in max zoom, to me it really helps. I also like how it brings out the colors and dynamic range in the subjects. Practically speaking...if my macro subject isn't being stacked, I'm using the FD-1. The FD-1 has a great secondary benefit in acting as a defacto lens hood which provides good protection for the camera.

The FD-1 is great of course but there are times when stacking (or even bracketing) is better...especially with 3D subjects.

Below is a parasitic dodder plant attacking another plant. The first image is without stacking and the second is with...it makes a huge difference. The cool thing about the TG-6 is you can change stacking tolerances...lower when it is windy and higher for better quality.

TG-6 - Regular Macro - No Stack/No Flash

TG-6 - Stacked Macro - No Flash

I've had 'some' success with stacking, but if I can ask,, where is you focus point on the subject that your taking.

Roland.

Loraine Arnold Senior Member • Posts: 1,261

Thank you for your reply. I have not used focus stacking much but I am going to give it a try. I don't use a tripod as much as I probably should so I will try using the FD-1 and flash when not using a tripod.  I get my TG-6 today.

-- hide signature --

Loraine

Loraine Arnold's gear list:Loraine Arnold's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
rolandb
Hoping this will help

With the TG-5, I believe I'm correct, you can use the 2 sec timer when in microscope mode but NOT if you switch to focus stacking,,

So with that in mind I bought one of these.

It velcros around the camera with the cable release over the shutter button, so should be ok for times I have the cam on a tripod.

For times when I'm hand holding the camera, I'm wondering if I place the cam on a small ' GorillaPod' I may be able to hold the cam with only one hand and press the release with the other.

Going to be fun trying,,,,,

Roland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandb52/

"" I'm a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes, I get lucky and some of my snap-shots turn into a photograph.""

Re: Hoping this will help

rolandb wrote:

With the TG-5, I believe I'm correct, you can use the 2 sec timer when in microscope mode but NOT if you switch to focus stacking,,

It velcros around the camera with the cable release over the shutter button, so should be ok for times I have the cam on a tripod.

For times when I'm hand holding the camera, I'm wondering if I place the cam on a small ' GorillaPod' I may be able to hold the cam with only one hand and press the release with the other.

I can't speak for the TG-5...but with the TG-6, while you can't use the standard shutter delay with stacking, you can still select a pre-shot delay by going to Menu > Focus Stack Settings > Start Waiting Time (0-30 seconds).

For regular macro shots, you don't have to use a two second delay...you can use a custom 1 second delay which is nicer and the camera will remember this for repeat shots.

Obviously using a flash will also help immensely with camera shake and non-stacking macros.  A tripod (like a gorillapod) could be a cool idea...I haven't used one yet for macro but will have to try it in the future.

PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,733
Re: Hoping this will help

smithaa02 wrote:

rolandb wrote:

I can't speak for the TG-5...but with the TG-6, while you can't use the standard shutter delay with stacking, you can still select a pre-shot delay by going to Menu > Focus Stack Settings > Start Waiting Time (0-30 seconds).

For regular macro shots, you don't have to use a two second delay...you can use a custom 1 second delay which is nicer and the camera will remember this for repeat shots.

Obviously using a flash will also help immensely with camera shake and non-stacking macros. A tripod (like a gorillapod) could be a cool idea...I haven't used one yet for macro but will have to try it in the future.

The LG-1 is lower powered than the FD-1 but works fine with stacking. Best for very close subjects.

-- hide signature --

Nick

PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Olympus Tough TG-4 Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F +12 more
Irakp Forum Member • Posts: 58

Perfect colours, focus , composition. Great job.

Irakp wrote:

Perfect colours, focus , composition. Great job.

Thank you! Most of these are straight out of camera with no PP tweaks (a few exceptions to boost contrast). I find a good Macro combination for the TG-6 is:

- Attachment: LG-1
- Picture Mode: Natural (close up subjects tend not to need vivid or i-enhance
- Picture Mode Adjustment: Gradation Normal > Auto. Gradation Auto is in essence shadow recovery. I think it works well for macro.
- Zoom : Max for best compression
- White Balance: Auto (WB flash tends to work well)
- Custom Delay: 1 second (for crisp no-shake pictures)

If you're curious to see more TG-6 macro examples checkout my Flickr collection at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEY4zVB

SirLataxe
SirLataxe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909

ALthough I have only a TG4 I've been enjoying the experience of learning how to take macros with it's excellent facilities and the aid of both an LG-1 & FD-1. The TG6 seems to offer some additional advantages, not least the ability to set a shutter delay in lieu of a remote release; and the ability to take RAW in focus stacking mode.

One disadvantage of all the TG cameras used for macro is the lack of a tilting screen. It's often difficult to get the camera to point at the right bit of the frame to obtain the best focus point, if the subject is at ground level in amongst a lot of other brash and furze.

Is there any way to get the camera to reliably feed it's image to a smart phone, tablet or other connectable portal screen? The manual seems to suggest so although I've read elsewhere that the connection can be difficult and/or flakey, as the associated app is not well made.

Personally I'd love to see a TG model with an articulated screen - although I suppose this would be difficult to achieve whilst keeping its water, dust and shock proofness....

SirLataxe

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

SirLataxe wrote:

Is there any way to get the camera to reliably feed it's image to a smart phone, tablet or other connectable portal screen? The manual seems to suggest so although I've read elsewhere that the connection can be difficult and/or flakey, as the associated app is not well made.

Using OI.Share is the only remote control option for the TG series. Some of us don't have any problems with initiating connections and controlling the camera. Some functions are limited when in remote control mode. I don't know if that impacts any of the macro modes. And, using WiFi puts additional drain on the battery.

There are inexpensive HDMI monitors designed to be used with cameras. But I wouldn't call that a practical solution for a compact camera

Personally I'd love to see a TG model with an articulated screen - although I suppose this would be difficult to achieve whilst keeping its water, dust and shock proofness....

Yeah, a fully articulated screen can be helpful when shooting from awkward angles. There was a TG-8xx series with a flip screen. Guess what one of its common failure modes was.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads