Is there a fuse in the FTZ

Started Jul 29, 2019 | Discussions
tlittlefield Regular Member • Posts: 254
Is there a fuse in the FTZ

A few days ago there was a post from a forum member who was having an issue with his Z, he sent it in to Nikon along with his FTZ.

A couple of weeks later his camera came back with a note from Nikon that the fuse in the FTZ was replaced thus fixing his issue.

A couple of members including me was skeptical that the FTZ had a fuse, thought it was just a "dumb" adapter connecting the contacts from an F mount lens to a Z body.

I sent a not to Nikon support asking about this and this is what they said

Response from James W.
The only product specifications which are made available to the public
may be found in the product user guide, or the specification sheets
posted at www.nikonusa.com.

If the information you requested is not available at either of the
sources mentioned, then the information is not made available to the
public. We regret that many specific technical specifications cannot be
made available to the public as they fall under the umbrella of company
trade secrets.

Responded: 07/29/2019 by Email

 tlittlefield's gear list:tlittlefield's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,984
FTZ not dumb
5

tlittlefield wrote:

A few days ago there was a post from a forum member who was having an issue with his Z, he sent it in to Nikon along with his FTZ.

A couple of weeks later his camera came back with a note from Nikon that the fuse in the FTZ was replaced thus fixing his issue.

A couple of members including me was skeptical that the FTZ had a fuse, thought it was just a "dumb" adapter connecting the contacts from an F mount lens to a Z body.

I sent a not to Nikon support asking about this and this is what they said

Response from James W.
The only product specifications which are made available to the public
may be found in the product user guide, or the specification sheets
posted at www.nikonusa.com.

If the information you requested is not available at either of the
sources mentioned, then the information is not made available to the
public. We regret that many specific technical specifications cannot be
made available to the public as they fall under the umbrella of company
trade secrets.

Responded: 07/29/2019 by Email

The FTZ is far from a dumb adapter. For example, it can adjust the aperture of G lenses, converting electrical signals from the body into actuation of the little arm.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: FTZ not dumb
8

There are probably a few fuses in a Z camera - but not the glass fuses you are used to.

Most likely there are fuses to anything “high power” and some things  with “external” connections  - but they are SMD fuses (surface mount component) - and if you do not know what you are looking for they are hard to spot. (Often white with Green or Blue line) and looks like the SMD resistors.

So to change them you need to solder. (Micro solder with a magnification and very steady hands....)

Lots of devices these days use SMD fuses which are great for those of us who buy broken gear. Often one can get lucky by checking the fuses. Or 2nd best - the capacitors. I would say i’m 50/50 on easy repairs. The hard repairs are the ones that have no protection fuses etc...

 kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,984
Re: FTZ not dumb
3

Kasper Larsen wrote:

There are probably a few fuses in a Z camera - but not the glass fuses you are used to.

Most likely there are fuses to anything “high power” and some things with “external” connections - but they are SMD fuses (surface mount component) - and if you do not know what you are looking for they are hard to spot. (Often white with Green or Blue line) and looks like the SMD resistors.

So to change them you need to solder. (Micro solder with a magnification and very steady hands....)

Lots of devices these days use SMD fuses which are great for those of us who buy broken gear. Often one can get lucky by checking the fuses. Or 2nd best - the capacitors. I would say i’m 50/50 on easy repairs. The hard repairs are the ones that have no protection fuses etc...

The original post was about whether or not there is a fuse in the FTZ.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: FTZ not dumb
7

JimKasson wrote:

Kasper Larsen wrote:

There are probably a few fuses in a Z camera - but not the glass fuses you are used to.

Most likely there are fuses to anything “high power” and some things with “external” connections - but they are SMD fuses (surface mount component) - and if you do not know what you are looking for they are hard to spot. (Often white with Green or Blue line) and looks like the SMD resistors.

The original post was about whether or not there is a fuse in the FTZ.

and what I'm saying is yes there are fuses - they are just not end-user replaceable.

Many devices have gone from glass fuses to on the pcb fuses.

There is no functional difference between an SMD fuse and a glass fuse. Only difference is you can't change the fuse yourself.

[Edit: sorry did not ready your comment correct regarding FTZ and Z - but both will have fuses if they are well made]

 kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

tlittlefield wrote:

A couple of members including me was skeptical that the FTZ had a fuse, thought it was just a "dumb" adapter connecting the contacts from an F mount lens to a Z body.

I was and still am sceptical that there is a fuse, but the FTZ is NOT a dumb adapter at all. It contains electronics to convert the communication protocol, as well as to control the aperture blades of G lenses. However, I pulled apart mine and have seen nothing which looks like a fuse. Perhaps I'll check again another time when I have a few hours to waste.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

olyflyer wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

A couple of members including me was skeptical that the FTZ had a fuse, thought it was just a "dumb" adapter connecting the contacts from an F mount lens to a Z body.

I was and still am sceptical that there is a fuse, but the FTZ is NOT a dumb adapter at all. It contains electronics to convert the communication protocol, as well as to control the aperture blades of G lenses. However, I pulled apart mine and have seen nothing which looks like a fuse. Perhaps I'll check again another time when I have a few hours to waste.

The SMD fuses can be hard to spot. The colours I listed above are often used - but there are many different types.

Do an image search on google for "smd fuse" and you will see the range of different types of fuses.

Maybe post a picture of the PCB in the FTZ? (both sides if there are components on both) - sometimes looking for the 2nd thickest/widest traces will give you a hint. The widest are usually ground - 2nd widest are "high" power.  Fuses are often close to pin-in or pin-out's.

Im 1500 miles from my FTZ adapter so can't tear it down.

 kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,781
Re: FTZ not dumb

JimKasson wrote:

The FTZ is far from a dumb adapter. For example, it can adjust the aperture of G lenses, converting electrical signals from the body into actuation of the little arm.

I cannot find the link but about 4-5 months ago a poster did a tear down showing the under the bonnet complexity of the FTZ.

I recall you (Jim) saying you love to see tear downs. As you replied can you trace the link?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +27 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: FTZ not dumb

Kasper Larsen wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Kasper Larsen wrote:

There are probably a few fuses in a Z camera - but not the glass fuses you are used to.

Most likely there are fuses to anything “high power” and some things with “external” connections - but they are SMD fuses (surface mount component) - and if you do not know what you are looking for they are hard to spot. (Often white with Green or Blue line) and looks like the SMD resistors.

The original post was about whether or not there is a fuse in the FTZ.

and what I'm saying is yes there are fuses - they are just not end-user replaceable.

Many devices have gone from glass fuses to on the pcb fuses.

There is no functional difference between an SMD fuse and a glass fuse. Only difference is you can't change the fuse yourself.

...but we are talking about the FTZ adapter, not the Z camera. Of course there there is a fuse or maybe even two in the Z camera, but I doubt there is one in the adapter. Also, even if there is, it is SMD on flexible PCB, and to be honest, I don't believe it is replaced by any Nikon service rep. Maybe the whole electronics inside the FTZ is replacable, but not individual parts on the flexible PCB. It would be very DIY like if they replaced individual parts.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: FTZ not dumb
1

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

The FTZ is far from a dumb adapter. For example, it can adjust the aperture of G lenses, converting electrical signals from the body into actuation of the little arm.

I cannot find the link but about 4-5 months ago a poster did a tear down showing the under the bonnet complexity of the FTZ.

I recall you (Jim) saying you love to see tear downs. As you replied can you trace the link?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62316015

Is this the one you meant? I opened it once to see if there is space for an AF motor. It is clear that even if there is a fuse it is not easy to change and most probably no Nikon service rep would do anything like that.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

Kasper Larsen wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

tlittlefield wrote:

A couple of members including me was skeptical that the FTZ had a fuse, thought it was just a "dumb" adapter connecting the contacts from an F mount lens to a Z body.

I was and still am sceptical that there is a fuse, but the FTZ is NOT a dumb adapter at all. It contains electronics to convert the communication protocol, as well as to control the aperture blades of G lenses. However, I pulled apart mine and have seen nothing which looks like a fuse. Perhaps I'll check again another time when I have a few hours to waste.

The SMD fuses can be hard to spot. The colours I listed above are often used - but there are many different types.

Not really hard to spot for anyone with some electronic knowledge.

Do an image search on google for "smd fuse" and you will see the range of different types of fuses.

I know how they look like. I have several in my drawers.

Maybe post a picture of the PCB in the FTZ? (both sides if there are components on both) - sometimes looking for the 2nd thickest/widest traces will give you a hint. The widest are usually ground - 2nd widest are "high" power. Fuses are often close to pin-in or pin-out's.

Im 1500 miles from my FTZ adapter so can't tear it down.

I haven't pulled apart my FTZ completely, but just enough to inside under the foot. Mine is also about 1000km from where I am right now and I won't have time to do tear it down completely and also not ready to brick it just for this thread, so it may take time before I do a complete tear down.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ
1

I would disagree about fuses in the FTZ.

I would say there is at least one for the AF motor.

Follow the Flex PCB to the circuit board and I think there will be one main power fuse and one for the motor.

The purpose of the fuses are to protect and since the FTZ connects to the Z which is very expensive - I think the FTZ has plenty of protection.

 kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,886
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

Kasper Larsen wrote:

I would disagree about fuses in the FTZ.

I would say there is at least one for the AF motor.

The FTZ has no AF motor.

Follow the Flex PCB to the circuit board and I think there will be one main power fuse and one for the motor.

The purpose of the fuses are to protect and since the FTZ connects to the Z which is very expensive - I think the FTZ has plenty of protection.

 briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +18 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

Kasper Larsen wrote:

I would disagree about fuses in the FTZ.

I would say there is at least one for the AF motor.

There is no AF motor in the FTZ, and the aperture control motor (the one you can see in the image) is a stepper motor and I promise you, they NEVER have fuses for stepper motors. It would cause more harm then good. If there is a fuse it is between the VCC and the camera.

Follow the Flex PCB to the circuit board and I think there will be one main power fuse and one for the motor.

You mean to the left of the motor? I may check that out, but in any case, it is NOT for the motor. The motor is a brushless motor and have four terminals, which is typical for stepper motors. Anyway, I doubt that what we see is the bottom of two fuses, but that's easy to check.

The purpose of the fuses are to protect and since the FTZ connects to the Z which is very expensive - I think the FTZ has plenty of protection.

I doubt that. Simple fuses don't provide that sort of protection. Protection is provided through other means. Fuses are not that reliable and are normally used on power supply and high current parts.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
The other thing I was VERY sceptical to...

...was that the "fuse" would normally need to be replaced every second year. That would be totally unacceptable and would be regarded as a manufacturing error if it would be true. I doubt Nikon would be crazy enough to create such a simple product which would need a biannual service. This is not the first adapter they have made, the Nikon 1 has it's own, and mine has been working the last ten years without and "fuse" change.

So my biggest scepticism is not about if there is a fuse or not, but about the need for biannual service. Normally a fuse should not blow, and if it blows it indicates a problem.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Re: The other thing I was VERY sceptical to...

If it's true that there is a fuse and needs to be replaced every 2 years, sadly to say, but that would be quite stupid in my opinion, and perhaps it's all true and Nikon doesn't want to confirm, so as to not ruin their sales.  Ie. if someone is looking for a Z6/Z7 it might be enough to deter them away.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: The other thing I was VERY sceptical to...

ShutterDude wrote:

If it's true that there is a fuse and needs to be replaced every 2 years, sadly to say, but that would be quite stupid in my opinion, and perhaps it's all true and Nikon doesn't want to confirm, so as to not ruin their sales. Ie. if someone is looking for a Z6/Z7 it might be enough to deter them away.

I don't think it is true. I mean, why would a fuse blow unless there is an issue, and why would there be an issue at regular basis? Nikon is not that stupid in designing, but some reps know nothing and instead of admitting that, they want to sound knowledgable. ...or some users misunderstand what the reps are saying.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,550
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ

with surface mount technology, I would think it is quite difficult to determine what those tiny little "blocks" or components are unless you have a schematic

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

 SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D300S Nikon Z6 +17 more
ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Re: The other thing I was VERY sceptical to...
1

I too am skeptical.....fuses are there to protect the equipment, and if it needs to be replaced every 2 years, what happens in 2 years that it needs to be replaced?  An expiry date to a fuse?   Sounds strange...

Replacing a fuse as noted is not a good thing, and points to an underlying issue that needs to be isolated and determined why it happened in the first place.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,339
Re: Is there a fuse in the FTZ
2

SteveCooper wrote:

with surface mount technology, I would think it is quite difficult to determine what those tiny little "blocks" or components are unless you have a schematic

Actually as always, it is not that difficult if you have the knowledge, but for the average Joe it's a hit and miss, most likely would be a miss and a huge mystery.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads