Don't like new colors

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Realll Regular Member • Posts: 180
Don't like new colors

I like Sony cameras, they are simply technically superb. Never been happy with colors though , but they were quite acceptable . New colors look very unpleasing- reddish-yellowish, even green and blue ( grass, water) have red tint. I preferred old colors better. I think to buy an a6400, but what I see prevent me to purchase. Any thoughts how to avoid this reddish colors? Thanks.

Realll's gear list:Realll's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a5100 Sony a6400 +3 more
sinnerz2000 Regular Member • Posts: 305
Re: Don't like new colors

You can use different color profiles on camera and even adjust them to your liking, that is if you prefer only JPEGs. For RAW you're gonna get a flat profile anyway, which you can again adjust to your liking in post.

sinnerz2000's gear list:sinnerz2000's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS LG V30
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Senior Member • Posts: 1,482
 SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
OP Realll Regular Member • Posts: 180

Best colors- Fuji X T30, no surprise.

Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a5100 Sony a6400 +3 more
SpacemanUA

Realll wrote:

Best colors- Fuji X T30, no surprise.

Is this all you could see from that? a6400 #2 best tied with X-T3 didn't surprise you?

Yes, it definitely surprise me, as it has too many very strong color deviations.

SpacemanUA

Realll wrote:

Yes, it definitely surprise me, as it has too many very strong color deviations.

I assume, all Leica, Canon and Nikon owners should throw away their cameras. Because they have even more color deviations.

PankajDubey Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

Realll wrote:

I like Sony cameras, they are simply technically superb. Never been happy with colors though , but they were quite acceptable . New colors look very unpleasing- reddish-yellowish, even green and blue ( grass, water) have red tint. I preferred old colors better. I think to buy an a6400, but what I see prevent me to purchase. Any thoughts how to avoid this reddish colors? Thanks.

Glad I didn't buy the Leica Q2 :D.
I couldn't afford it, but that is altogether a different story.
I do not see the overblown reds when exposing with HLG3 gamma settings and shooting RAW.The colours are much more muted and pleasant.

PankajDubey's gear list:PankajDubey's gear list
Nikon Df Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +12 more

I would not throw out a single device for one classification. It is important in this case whether they are happy with the result they get. For my part, I do not quite agree that all my pictures should be reddish. By the way, there are cameras that are down the list, but have fewer strog color deviations.

uhligfd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,331

"Any thoughts how to avoid this reddish colors?"

simple: reset the AWB to your own taste. It takes but minute to change it from its standard setting to one you like.

mikan
mikan Senior Member • Posts: 1,327

Can you elaborate more on old vs. new? I'm asking because when I upgraded from a6000 to a6300, I noticed that when the facial recognition is in work, the AWB shifts the color temperature higher, resulting in warmer look all over the images. This made the pool water, grass, etc... look brownish, sort of matching what you have described. I'm guessing this was Sony's solution to fix the badly criticized "pale skin tone" issue. I absolutely hated this new AWB behavior in my a6300, but I shoot RAW, so it was easily fixable in PP.

mikan's gear list:mikan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
SpacemanUA

mikan wrote:

Can you elaborate more on old vs. new? I'm asking because when I upgraded from a6000 to a6300, I noticed that when the facial recognition is in work, the AWB shifts the color temperature higher, resulting in warmer look all over the images. This made the pool water, grass, etc... look brownish, sort of matching what you have described. I'm guessing this was Sony's solution to fix the badly criticized "pale skin tone" issue. I absolutely hated this new AWB behavior in my a6300, but I shoot RAW, so it was easily fixable in PP.

Set AWB Priority to White. Problem solved.

Realll wrote:

I would not throw out a single device for one classification. It is important in this case whether they are happy with the result they get. For my part, I do not quite agree that all my pictures should be reddish. By the way, there are cameras that are down the list, but have fewer strog color deviations.

I assume you didn't set up your camera correctly. Just like a previous poster.

mikan

SpacemanUA wrote:

mikan wrote:

I don't see that option in a6300. Maybe a new feature in a6400?

Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,760
Don't shoot JPEG
 Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
SpacemanUA

mikan wrote:

Ah, yeah, my bad.

mikan

SpacemanUA wrote:

mikan wrote:

Ah, yeah, my bad.

That is a nice feature that I'd definitely use. I'm still waiting for a successor of a6500 that has the new a6400 features.

MikeCamWV Regular Member • Posts: 228

SpacemanUA wrote:

To the OP - setting AWB Priority to White is what helped the colors for the a6400 look "right" to me. After making this tweak, I find that I actually like the colors on the a6400 better than those of the Fuji X-T30 that I had for about 6 weeks or so.

MikeCamWV's gear list:MikeCamWV's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +1 more
roneybr Regular Member • Posts: 219

use a grey card, seriously

roneybr's gear list:roneybr's gear list
A3000 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,356

Realll wrote:

Like you I have the A6500. However, I did check the Studio Scene comparison here on dpreview vs. the A6400 and I couldn't find any difference between them in jpeg. Just curious, where are you finding images of reddish colors from the A6400?

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +13 more
REDunnLev
REDunnLev Contributing Member • Posts: 589

I have not noticed any reddish colors since I only shoot RAW. However, I have noticed that when I am in a rush and do not set a custom white balance the auto white balance - ambiance has the truest colors. I have not gone back to any of the other AWB options. This is available on the a6400 as well as the a6500.

REDunnLev's gear list:REDunnLev's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads