Animal Eye AF

Started 4 months ago | Questions
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,977
Re: Animal Eye AF

Just a thought but maybe you are satisfied with what you have because you have never used anything better?

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,076

tbcass wrote:

Just a thought but maybe you are satisfied with what you have because you have never used anything better?

You moved the goalposts. First, I replied to a rude poster who called Canon's Eye AF a "so-called" one. It is not "so-called" and even when it is not so-called, it still works as an Eye AF. Second, if what I have is perfect for my needs, it cannot be possibly "better". Maybe I am satisfied because, well, I am, and it just works?

(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 78

J A C S wrote:

Nutty Lutty wrote:

Be very, very cautious if Canon or Nikon suddenly release "animal-eye" AF! Why?

Because they rushed out regular eye-AF and their so-called eye-aF is more like eyebrow/eyelash AF, if that! Sometimes, it even struggles to find the face (Z series Nikons).

If they're struggling to cope with plain old regular eye-AF, what hope do they have of mastering animal eye-AF?

BS. Even the so-called face detect of my 5D4 which does not have eye-detect is actually eye detect. I use it all the time.

Sure thing, whatever you say.

I must say it was equally convincing when Nikon users asserted that their DSLRs had eye-AF--a claim that drew a few sympathetic nods from those who knew better.

J A C S

Nutty Lutty wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Nutty Lutty wrote:

Be very, very cautious if Canon or Nikon suddenly release "animal-eye" AF! Why?

Because they rushed out regular eye-AF and their so-called eye-aF is more like eyebrow/eyelash AF, if that! Sometimes, it even struggles to find the face (Z series Nikons).

If they're struggling to cope with plain old regular eye-AF, what hope do they have of mastering animal eye-AF?

BS. Even the so-called face detect of my 5D4 which does not have eye-detect is actually eye detect. I use it all the time.

Sure thing, whatever you say.

Your 5D4 cannot do it?

I have a bunch of test shots in my gallery, and in some of them, I was moving towards the subject, and the camera was tracking. Yes, it works on real people, I am using it all the time but I am not posting family or friends photos here.

Bob A L Senior Member • Posts: 2,161
All my cameras have it

They will all let me focus on any animal's eye as long as it is visible.  But if my camera ever starts picking out what to focus on by itself, it's going in the trash bin. That's my job.

bullet1 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,289

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Now only sony's has animal eye AF. Does it just gimmick ?

For Canon and Nikon without animal eye AF does it hard to shot dog or cat ?

Thank

People have been taking great animal pics for decades, some without AF at all. Does that answer your question?

Very true.  I am sure Canon and Nikon photographers will be fine without it.  But can they use it if it is available?  I think so.

The Eye-AF is just like other automation tools that have help photographers to achieve better results with less effort, things like reliable AF in low light, AI-Servo (AF-C) tracking in sporting events, MF peaking and histogram, just to name a few.

Can one shoot without viewfinder and back LCD? Can one shoot with manual focus lenses without any focus aid?  Yes both are achievable but it would not be without trial and error.

-- hide signature --

Nelson

bullet1's gear list:bullet1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Canon EOS M5 +22 more
tbcass

J A C S wrote:

tbcass wrote:

You moved the goalposts. First, I replied to a rude poster who called Canon's Eye AF a "so-called" one. It is not "so-called" and even when it is not so-called, it still works as an Eye AF. Second, if what I have is perfect for my needs, it cannot be possibly "better". Maybe I am satisfied because, well, I am, and it just works?

My point was just because you have something that works for you doesn’t mean something better doesn’t exist. Sometimes we have to look outside the box.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
J A C S

tbcass wrote:

J A C S wrote:

tbcass wrote:

My point was just because you have something that works for you doesn’t mean something better doesn’t exist. Sometimes we have to look outside the box.

I did not comment on whether something better exists or not. Which is debatable...

Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,875

New Day Rising wrote:

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

People have been taking great animal pics for decades, some without AF at all. Does that answer your question?

It only answers the question in a silly way. People took great sports photos for decades without any form of AF. If doesn't mean AF is a gimmick or that it doesn't make shooting sports easier and more reliable.

Then rain only asked the question in a silly way. Does it change photography? Not at all, it just makes it easier for people who weren't very good at photography before. That was one of many animal shots i have, look here is another. No eye AF needed, the AF is right on her eyes. Amazing eh?

Nobody shoots moving subjects with a DOF so small it won't cover more than the eyes. If they do, not one brand can keep it continuously on the eyes. Most action is shot with a longer lens, and f/2.8 or slower, which means it's not all that hard to aim at a face and keep the eyes in that focal plane.

If your standard is to pick an animal with the longest face you can find, while in motion and with a lens with narrow DOF, well that's neato. I wouldn't trade bad ergos and overpriced lenses for that in a million years.

-- hide signature --

"Teach me how to sacrifice
I'm told that I don't know a thing
But maybe with some time alone
We'll both learn what it means
I feel as though I owe you more
Than just these words of gratitude you read
So before it ends, my friend
I'll teach you how to, bleed...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon D300 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
tbcass

I thought we were discussing your 5D4.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62931561

-- hide signature --

Tom

J A C S

tbcass wrote:

I thought we were discussing your 5D4.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62931561

No, we were discussing my reply to the claim that Canon has "so-called" Eye-AF.

Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,014

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Animal Eye AF makes it easier on stationary pets. I don't shoot running pets, so I cannot comment on that. I have cats, so they just lounge around.

My previous Canon FF 6D DSLR had 11 AF points. Based on my framing, I selected AF point closest to the eye. And if I'm shooting wide open with shallow DOF, I would focus and not recompose. If framing is a bit off, I had crop in post. It worked. Took a few seconds longer. Needed to be aware of situation and shooting parameters.

Now I have Sony A6400 with Eye AF. No need to select AF points nor recompose. The only thing I need to control is left vs right eye. Obviously I want to focus on the closest eye. If there is only a small rotation to the head, camera might not select the correct eye. So with a single button press to toggle between left vs right, I can change select eye as needed.

Jimmy K.'s gear list:Jimmy K.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,777

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

..The below Nikon cameras..

D5

D850

D500

D7500

..when the Face-detection is "enabled"..

..can "detect" the faces of both humans & wildlifes..

..and focuses on the "eyes" of both humans & wildlifes..

..Cheers, John..

..P.S. Now the Nikon Z7 & Z6 have the "Eye AF", but don't know if works on wildlifes..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX70 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,875

jshen808 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

D5

D850

D500

D7500

..Cheers, John..

..P.S. Now the Nikon Z7 & Z6 have the "Eye AF", but don't know if works on wildlifes..

This is very interesting and also raises some questions. Why have i not seen DPR mention this anywhere? They seemed to make quite a stir about Sony's animal AF, why no mention of it in these Nikon cameras?

-- hide signature --

"Teach me how to sacrifice
I'm told that I don't know a thing
But maybe with some time alone
We'll both learn what it means
I feel as though I owe you more
Than just these words of gratitude you read
So before it ends, my friend
I'll teach you how to, bleed...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon D300 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,777

Max Iso wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

D5

D850

D500

D7500

..Cheers, John..

This is very interesting and also raises some questions. Why have i not seen DPR mention this anywhere? They seemed to make quite a stir about Sony's animal AF, why no mention of it in these Nikon cameras?

..Just to mention..

..the D5 D850 D500 D7500 cameras are all in my collection..

..in the past, in the D500 forum here, already discussed & discovered using the D500 camera to cover dog competition shows (that involves running & jumping), and using the D500 with the face-detection, capturing the speedy dogs..

..so just because you (or others) have not read about it, it does not mean it have not been discussed previously already..

..many things and features are "discovered" by "users", and not necessarily by the reviewers who may not spend enough time with the camera, before they go onto the next camera, in their reviewing tasks..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX70 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 Nikon Coolpix P1000
George1958 Contributing Member • Posts: 702

Animal Eye AF is a preset, a bit like landscape, fireworks , portrait found on a scene dial. Its nice to have but totally unnecessary. Attention to DoF and composition will get you the same outcome, and also avoids things like just off eyes with sharp lashes.

If its useful great, but to me its just another one of those marketing gimmicks designed to capture more photographers than images of animals.

Put the other way around , the history shows that photographers have been shooting everything from wild big game to the family pet pouch for decades without any problem, and before there ever was a Sony cameras and also without animal Eye AF.

George1958's gear list:George1958's gear list
Sigma DP1s Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN-F +7 more
Laybourne
Laybourne Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: All my cameras have it

Bob A L wrote:

They will all let me focus on any animal's eye as long as it is visible. But if my camera ever starts picking out what to focus on by itself, it's going in the trash bin. That's my job.

Reminds me of the author who said it was his job to hunt and peck the keys on his keyboard. He drew a few chuckles and winces from the real authors in the room whose job it was to write stories.

-- hide signature --

Fear is the darkroom where the Devil develops his negatives.

(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 78

tbcass wrote:

I imagine there are still a chosen few who are content with square wheels and attribute their disdain for the round ones to their "skill" at driving.

Chikubi
Chikubi Senior Member • Posts: 1,886

Laybourne wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

They will all let me focus on any animal's eye as long as it is visible. But if my camera ever starts picking out what to focus on by itself, it's going in the trash bin. That's my job.

Reminds me of the author who said it was his job to hunt and peck the keys on his keyboard. He drew a few chuckles and winces from the real authors in the room whose job it was to write stories.

And yet the author who said it was his job to hunt and peck the keys on his keyboard is what makes your story salient, not the others. Sounds like he was a bit more clever with his wordcraft and knew better what it takes to make oneself standout from the rest. Actual skill nearly always wins in the end.

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,861

Chikubi wrote:

Laybourne wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

I would hate to see how you feel about your camera metering for you, tracking a subject, or bracketing on it's own......

And yet the author who said it was his job to hunt and peck the keys on his keyboard is what makes your story salient, not the others. Sounds like he was a bit more clever with his wordcraft and knew better what it takes to make oneself standout from the rest. Actual skill nearly always wins in the end.

it does but skilled people like tools too. Last time I checked the sidelines of sporting events weren't full of manual focus cameras, wedding shooters seem to have forsaken the assistant with the light meter for most of their event work, and I don't even know if you can still purchase flash bulbs....maybe black powder?

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads