Animal Eye AF

Started 3 months ago | Questions
rainydiary Regular Member • Posts: 243
Animal Eye AF

Hi all

Now only sony's has animal eye AF. Does it just gimmick ?

For Canon and Nikon without animal eye AF does it hard to shot dog or cat ?

Thank

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
techjedi
techjedi Senior Member • Posts: 3,655
Re: Animal Eye AF

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

It works well, particularly at wide apertures in continuous focusing when the animal is moving towards the camera.

That said, people have been photographing animals with traditional AF controls for decades and I am sure you would learn to adapt on a competing camera without this feature.

AF features are just tools that reduce the effort in some shooting situations. That does not mean it is difficult or impossible to capture the same photos without those features, it just means you may have to put more effort into planning your shots and being intimate with the other AF modes of your camera.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,716

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

People have been taking great animal pics for decades, some without AF at all. Does that answer your question?

No eye AF, not even mirrorless, not even a camera from this decade! How did i ever manage...

-- hide signature --

"Teach me how to sacrifice
I'm told that I don't know a thing
But maybe with some time alone
We'll both learn what it means
I feel as though I owe you more
Than just these words of gratitude you read
So before it ends, my friend
I'll teach you how to, bleed...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon D300 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,923

rainydiary wrote:

Thanks to Sony, we can shoot cats and dogs now.

ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,840
Neat previously unknown feature

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

It sounds like it would be a handy feature.  I don't seem to need it much but maybe if other parts of the animal were closer (wet nose?) and capturing the camera's attention when eye detect isn't used.  My animals are too fuzzy for the camera to focus on anything other than their eye anyway.

Would it make framing, and reframing, faster since you don't have to move af point around manually?

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Max Iso

J A C S wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Thanks to Sony, we can shoot cats and dogs now.

I fully agree. Thank you Sony

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon D300 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,522

techjedi wrote:

AF features are just tools that reduce the effort in some shooting situations. That does not mean it is difficult or impossible to capture the same photos without those features, it just means you may have to put more effort into planning your shots and being intimate with the other AF modes of your camera.

Actually you should say it is difficult but not impossible because you have to put more effort and planning into it. Also it takes a lot of skill and practice. What these AF features do is allow less technically skilled photographers to achieve the same results as a highly skilled one.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Max Iso

tbcass wrote:

techjedi wrote:

Actually you should say it is difficult but not impossible because you have to put more effort and planning into it. Also it takes a lot of skill and practice. What these AF features do is allow less technically skilled photographers to achieve the same results as a highly skilled one.

Sony really does know their customers don't they

-- hide signature --

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,614

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

I wouldn't call it a "gimmick" but it isn't that great

if you look at the previous shots you can see it isn't difficult at all to shoot an animal that is still or almost still.

The animal eye af frees you up to work on other things BUT it doesn't have the same consistency or accuracy that the human eye af does.

Thank

don't know if that makes any sense.....

To try and summarize a different way it is nice to have when it works BUT it is pretty inconsistent. Luckily all the models that have it can track pretty well on their own so you just need to know how to use other tracking methods when it fails.

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Crash N Burn
Crash N Burn Regular Member • Posts: 119

The "back in my day" folk who bristle at Sony's meteoric rise would love its 61MP FF sensor to be a gimmick, they'd love its A9's no-blackout EVF to be a gimmick, and yes, they've very much love its blisteringly fast eye-AF (and very good animal eye-AF) to be a gimmick.

But the cold, hard truth is that these features are anything but that.

They know this, and when cold, hard reality deals you a brutal uppercut, all you can do is blubber and sputter that "back in my day, we didn't need this and we didn't do that"--the dirge of the has-beens that is music to my ears.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,972

Crash N Burn wrote:

The "back in my day" folk who bristle at Sony's meteoric rise would love its 61MP FF sensor to be a gimmick, they'd love its A9's no-blackout EVF to be a gimmick, and yes, they've very much love its blisteringly fast eye-AF (and very good animal eye-AF) to be a gimmick.

But the cold, hard truth is that these features are anything but that.

They know this, and when cold, hard reality deals you a brutal uppercut, all you can do is blubber and sputter that "back in my day, we didn't need this and we didn't do that"--the dirge of the has-beens that is music to my ears.

Praise be.

Offside Senior Member • Posts: 5,884

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

People have been taking great animal pics for decades, some without AF at all. Does that answer your question?

No eye AF, not even mirrorless, not even a camera from this decade! How did i ever manage...

Sleeping puppies present quite a challenge.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,522

Max Iso wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Sony really does know their customers don't they

Actually they created a customer base. It was good business. Excellent AF tracking has always been something that is offered by Canon and Nikon to professional sports photographers in their most expensive cameras, people who are highly skilled, so it isn't as if it's valuable only to the less skilled. Sony is making it available to a far wider audience by offering it in cameras at 1/4 the cost of a high end sports camera. While the Sony haters will never give them credit I think it's a good thing.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

It only answers the question in a silly way. People took great sports photos for decades without any form of AF. If doesn't mean AF is a gimmick or that it doesn't make shooting sports easier and more reliable.

Their eyes are closed and they are not moving. Not really the best example to support your argument.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D50 Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 500D Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Fregoli
Fregoli Regular Member • Posts: 208

New Day Rising wrote:

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

It only answers the question in a silly way. People took great sports photos for decades without any form of AF. If doesn't mean AF is a gimmick or that it doesn't make shooting sports easier and more reliable.

Their eyes are closed and they are not moving.

Yep. It's also missing the "great animal pic" part.

Not really the best example to support your argument.

I think it's all about expectations. I'm sure there are some people who use wooden shoes and say they can walk just as well as the rest of us.  But can they dance, jump, and run as well as us?

Probably not, but some are just more content with being on the lower end of the bell curve, performance-wise.

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,614
Reminiscent

Look back a few years ago to eye af on humans. This conversation is basically in the same spot a few years ago. The early software and abilities were so so. Eye af was roundly dismissed as a gimmick and even as it got better those that don't need it or whose manufacturers didn't offer it continued to dismiss it.

Fast forward to today and a lot of manufacturers offer a version of it ranging from "ok" to very good and outside Ultras that want to throw mud most of us seem to acknowledge the convenience of the feature for those that need it.

Now the mud throwers........take a look at some of the responses here and all those that want to be completely negative haven't even come close to using the feature.

If the OP is being serious and really wants to evaluate the feature they should search through the Sony FE forums for a fair discussion. Discussions by those that have actually evaluated it and can discuss how it works, under what conditions, and with which types of animals. You can find real information about it. If it still sounds like something you are interested in exploring then rent.

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,773

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

With all the dog breeds I deal with, I use an eye as a reference, but need to compensate with manual override to get the nose to shoulders in clear focus, especially at wide apertures.  If a camera feature took that into account, it could be helpful.

(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 78

Be very, very cautious if Canon or Nikon suddenly release "animal-eye" AF! Why?

Because they rushed out regular eye-AF and their so-called eye-aF is more like eyebrow/eyelash AF, if that! Sometimes, it even struggles to find the face (Z series Nikons).

If they're struggling to cope with plain old regular eye-AF, what hope do they have of mastering animal eye-AF?

Crash N Burn
Crash N Burn Regular Member • Posts: 119

New Day Rising wrote:

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Thank

Their eyes are closed and they are not moving. Not really the best example to support your argument.

Couldn't agree more, New Day. People have even been taking pictures before cameras as we know them were invented (think of those cardboard box pinhole cameras).

Speaking of antediluvian, the D300 certainly qualifies!

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,923

Nutty Lutty wrote:

Be very, very cautious if Canon or Nikon suddenly release "animal-eye" AF! Why?

Because they rushed out regular eye-AF and their so-called eye-aF is more like eyebrow/eyelash AF, if that! Sometimes, it even struggles to find the face (Z series Nikons).

If they're struggling to cope with plain old regular eye-AF, what hope do they have of mastering animal eye-AF?

BS. Even the so-called face detect of my 5D4 which does not have eye-detect is actually eye detect. I use it all the time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads