Canon EOS 6D. Upgrade?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
MANO41 Forum Member • Posts: 54
Canon EOS 6D. Upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I own - and love - the EOS 6D. Have had it for a while now and I use it mainly for portraits, landscape and take it everywhere I travel.

I love how it performs, especially in low light. But I sometimes wish the focusing system would respond a little faster. And I honestly DO NOT CARE for bunch of focus points on the viewfinder.

I have seen videos of the 6D Mark II and I honestly was not encouraged by it.

I have also seen a few about the EOS R and I don't have a clue on how it compares to the 6D in low light performance.

Anyone has any suggestions on what would be an upgrade option, if there is one worth?

Thanks!

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rmexpress22 Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Re: Canon EOS 6D. Upgrade?

If you mean you saw videos of people talking about the 6D2 and they didn't like it, and so you didn't like it, I wouldn't put too much weight into those videos. If you meant you saw videos of footage shot from a 6D2 and you didn't like it, sure, that's fair.

It was the cool thing to bash the 6D2 at the time, and even now. The main knock on it was DR, but no one ever seems to post any real-world detriments of one less stop of DR. It's the boogie man of the photography world. You hear people talk about it but you don't really see it.

The 6D2 is fine. You'll get fast AF, and better AF. You do get more AF points, but that's a good thing. The main issue, for me, is that the AF points are clustered very much center frame, mainly because it's the same AF system at the 80D. I do have an 80D and I do think its AF system is good. It's the first time Canon but a decent AF system in that class of body and I felt it was overdue.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +15 more
OP MANO41 Forum Member • Posts: 54

I guess I was disappointed to se that the image quality is basically the same as the 6D - if not a little worse - and that got me wondering if I would regret the change...

Do you own a 6D as well, or a 6D2?

If so, how does it compare to the 80D?

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734

MANO41 wrote:

I guess I was disappointed to se that the image quality is basically the same as the 6D - if not a little worse - and that got me wondering if I would regret the change...

Do you own a 6D as well, or a 6D2?

If so, how does it compare to the 80D?

The IQ on a 6D ii is probably marginally better than a 6D, but that is not where the really benefit of an upgrade is.

Better AF (by a fair margin)

Faster DIGIC version

Flippy screen, and a few other less significant changes

The early "issues" of 6D ii that were beaten to death in general, and certainly here on DPR (where most of the naysayers had never actually touched a 6D ii) were the DR and the launch price.

People were horrified that they didn't get a 26Mp 5D iv for the same price as the outgoing 6D - the DR was terrible, too few Mp, not joystick, no dual card slots, not enough AF points (and grouped too close together), no 1D weatherproofing, and the launch price was horrific etc etc.

The only really true thing was the high launch price, but that seems to be a Canon thing - happens with every new model.

Well, most of the original BS has died away, and real, live, actual users now report that the 6D ii is actually a pretty good camera, and the price has dropped a fair bit, and "normalised".

I don't have a 80D, but I replaced a 70D with my 6D ii, and I have a M5 (which has the same sensor as a 80D), and IMO the 6D ii is effectively a FF 80D, with a few extras (eg. GPS). It has similar noise at ISO 6400 to my M5 (and most other Canon APS-C cameras) at ISO 1600, so there is a low light / high ISO advantage. It loses the 1/8000th shutter speed, but that is something I did not use often, and it is possible to "fudge" things by dropping to ISO 50 and adjusting in post with the 1/4000th.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,974

MANO41 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I own - and love - the EOS 6D. Have had it for a while now and I use it mainly for portraits, landscape and take it everywhere I travel.

I love how it performs, especially in low light. But I sometimes wish the focusing system would respond a little faster. And I honestly DO NOT CARE for bunch of focus points on the viewfinder.

I have also seen a few about the EOS R and I don't have a clue on how it compares to the 6D in low light performance.

Anyone has any suggestions on what would be an upgrade option, if there is one worth?

Thanks!

I had the 6D for many years and really liked it.  Then bought a 6D2 last holiday when Canon was running the ridiculous $999 after-rebate deals (got the grip, printer, extra battery, etc.).  Like you, for a while the 6D2 was a 'meh' camera for me after seeing all of the luke warm reviews.  I was certainly not tempted at the original $2K price.  There are no bad cameras, just bad prices.

If you can get one cheap enough, I think you'll like it though.  The AF is miles better, both for viewfinder and live view.  Touch screen focus is pretty cool.  The flippy screen can be useful.  Image quality is not much of an improvement, but if you're happy with the 6D then this won't be a regression.

While the 6D2 looks weak on a spec sheet, in actual use it's a fine camera.  The 'shortcomings' in reviews rarely lead to a bad photo.  One thing about Canons, they always feel 'well sorted' when it comes to using them, and they just get the job done without fuss.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more
JEasley Forum Member • Posts: 91

As far as the 6D mkII goes I’d say rent it for a day just to see how you like it. I own one and can honestly say that there’s a lot of hate for it from people who only look at specs. Admittedly, the dynamic range is pretty bad for low iso but at around the 400-800 iso it’s pretty good. If you want to stick with a FF body, and stick with Canon, then you can’t go wrong. That said, the future is in mirrorless and the R is looking nice. I want to wait and see how Canon reacts to Sony’s releases before I buy true R. Anyway, good luck.

Centofanti Forum Member • Posts: 63

MANO41 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I had a 6D MK II and it was ok for the equestrian photos I photograph. For landscapes it seemed a decent DSLR but the AF seems to be clustered so 2 weeks ago I did a trade in and bought a 5D MK IV. It's like night a day and I love the 5D MK IV so far and I am still learning about it.

Before the trade I rented an EOS R and was not impressed as like a lot of complaints the lag time is an issue as well as battery life. So depending on what you shoot the 6D MK II could be a good body if it works for you.

Centofanti's gear list:Centofanti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Pocket Lint Contributing Member • Posts: 574

MANO41 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Owned both the 6DII and 5DIV before trading in the 6DII for the 100-400 mk II lens.

I do kind of miss the camera. Took some nice photos with it, however, you can not recover highlights worth a $&@!. You really have to pay attention to your highlights, it’s not like you can just fix it in post.

And the AF point array like everyone else mentioned, really sucks.

Other then that, for the price it’s a great little ff dSLR.

-- hide signature --

I just got in to photography and I love the artistic and technical aspect of it.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
highlights Regular Member • Posts: 131

As a commercial photographer we own and use an number of cameras from several builders - Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Capture one etc. Personally I use a 1d for high speed stuff, a 5DSR  for high res stuff (actually is the preferred unit at present) and the 6d series for stuff that doesn't require framed rates or resolution. Simply business economics-  if the cheaper camera produces the results and then use it and spare the wear on the dearer units. The 6ds are also used in our photo school for those wanting to go/already have an interest in the canon ecosystem. (we have equivalent gear for the Nikon where we use D5, d750 and sony A9/a7 incarnations)

The 6d mk1s are all over or close the 200k shutter activations and we stared replacing them about a year ago when we were able to source a number of low activation count 6D second hand units. We stayed with the "old mk1" rather than the new Mkii largely because of the hate on the 6DII. I wish we hadn't. I later picked up a cheaper s/hand  6Dii and have to say it is considerable improvement on the mk 1 and while the Post production team did grizzle occasionally about the DR, it does not inhibit the use of this camera as either a commercial image capture unit or a training aid. We have five and will look to replacing the other six in due time.

The 6Dii is a good reliable unit and for the money produces good results. The focusing system is a big improvement dispite it's mid frame only coverage (not a problem as i/we back-focus  and recompose ) -  the extra MPX are welcome the flippy-screen is very good both in its versatility and as a touch screen. The two chief benefits over the RP (for me) is the faster frame rate and the data screen on the top deck which the RP doesn't have. On the other hand the RP focus system operated but the dragging on the touch screen is sublime, as is its ability to meter spot on with tilt shift lenses and the native focus stacking.

All that said i cannot comment on the video as I only use it for personal unimportant stuff as we use the c series gear for commercial  needs.

Monty

highlights's gear list:highlights's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Nikon D850 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +7 more
The Aussie Viking
The Aussie Viking Senior Member • Posts: 1,474
Re: Canon EOS 6D. Upgrade? A resounding Yes here!

Hi All,

We upgraded to the 6D MkII on release day. The reason for us was that we couldn't see Canon going backwards with a release, and the Original 6D isn't flash in the AF department. We were also departing the next day from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park, and we wanted to use the best gear within our budget.

So my missus moved from 6D to 6D MkII begrudgingly on the u8nderstanding she could move back if she wanted to. Her main issues was learning a slightly different Camera might put her off. By the 2nd day I would have needed a crowbar to get it off her.

Unfortunately the critic's really savaged the 6D MkII, many by repeating "informed sources" rather than hands-on experience. And many of the initial critics have since admitted they got it wrong, but the damage has been done.

The increase in AF response and accuracy is MASSIVE. The AF in low light is also heaps better. Having shot nocturnally as well as Caves (no flash) it's really noticeable. You would just about be looking for a different name badge, as it's just not an incremental improvement.

Below is a few shots taken at 10.30pm at night. Some are in very low light with the 100-400mm & a 1.4TC on, yet they focussed. All are hand-held. All are "as shot JPG's. No editing or noise reduction.

Gig Harbour Tacoma, 40,000ISO, 400mm & 1.4TC (560mm) @F8, 1/80 sec. Shooting at a lit house the other side of the Harbour. Shot from the roof of the Public Building at the end of Jerisich Dock.

Gig Harbour Tacoma, 40,000ISO, 400mm & 1.4TC (560mm) @F8, 1/60 sec. Shooting at a lit house the other side of the Harbour. Shot from the roof of the Public Building at the end of Jerisich Dock.

Gig Harbour Tacoma, 40,000ISO, 70mm @F4, 1/30 sec. Shooting at Harbor Wildwatch. Shot from the roof of the Public Building at the end of Jerisich Dock.

Then there are the heaps of things that only those upgrading would notice due to being familiar with the 6D as their primary camera. The GPS lock no longer takes ages. It's pretty quick. Then there is the AF @F8. So for the first time you can shoot the 100-400 Canon with a TC and get AF. And it will do it quick and reliably in low light to boot.

Then there is Detail. I had expected my Brother to jump on the spare body and shoot, but he chose not to. So I was shooting my 100-400 on the 7D MkII for the wildlife, my missus on the 6D MkII and the 24-105mm F4 and I was also shooting the 6D with the 17-40mm for the wide stuff. Pretty much everything covered, but it meant I was busy as I was also shooting my 4K Sony Action Camera, my VSN360 4K Panoramic Camera, and my Canon HD Video as well! On some occasions our shots sort of overlapped FOV between the 6D & the 6D MkII. And when they did even if you did a blind test with someone who did not know which was which, they always chose the MkII's shot as it nailed more detail. That mightn't mean much to some, but especially if you wanted to print big, as I do, the difference is noticeable and appreciated.

Here are a couple of shots to compare taken from the same vantage point - Grand Prismatic Springs.

There is a lookout on the hill the other side. Zoom in and compare the detail of the spectators. 6D MkII

The shot with the 6D

I think the 6D tends to over-saturate by just a smidge compared with the 6D MkII. I'm no fan of the oversaturation craze, which is in part a personal taste thing. But I prefer the more natural look the MkII delivers.

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +28 more

Wow!

Thanks everyone who took their time to answer me here.

Loved the IQ on the pictures posted!

On the other hand, it is amazing how much damage a quick rant over "poor" specs can do! I wonder how many people - like me - did not upgrade their gear just based on youtube hate... Nothing like a real life test, eh?

Your replies were all very enlightening to me, so yeah, I just might get the 6DII and keep the old 6D as a back-up.

SG2014 Junior Member • Posts: 27

I have the original 6d and I bought the 6D Mk II last year when it was on sale. It has been a really good camera for me. So far no regrets purchasing it!

SG2014's gear list:SG2014's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,220

MANO41 wrote:

I guess I was disappointed to se that the image quality is basically the same as the 6D - if not a little worse

Did you see actual examples of this, or just read about it?

Mark B. wrote:

MANO41 wrote:

I guess I was disappointed to se that the image quality is basically the same as the 6D - if not a little worse

Did you see actual examples of this, or just read about it?

I saw comparisons of ISO boost, cannot remember if it was from that guy that says he know photo - mean no disrespect, just don't know his name. And to me it looked like the 6D did a better job at low light. Not focusing, but IQ.

Thanks, that answers for my biggest fear: regretting to let go of the 6D...

Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,309

MANO41 wrote:

Wow!

On the other hand, it is amazing how much damage a quick rant over "poor" specs can do! I wonder how many people - like me - did not upgrade their gear just based on youtube hate... Nothing like a real life test, eh?

Your replies were all very enlightening to me, so yeah, I just might get the 6DII and keep the old 6D as a back-up.

Well, you came here to the happy EOS 6D-usersclub, so you can't expect an unbiased opinion about the camera.

You have to examine the camera specifications and all its negative characteristics in a rational way. For example, I think that the sensor no longer meets the quality that the competition can/does offer.

You can buy much better cameras in 2019 for the same price.

Just my opinion, these are only cameras, don't kill me please

Jozef.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
The Aussie Viking
The Aussie Viking Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

Jozef M wrote:

MANO41 wrote:

Wow!

Well, you came here to the happy EOS 6D-usersclub, so you can't expect an unbiased opinion about the camera.

You have to examine the camera specifications and all its negative characteristics in a rational way. For example, I think that the sensor no longer meets the quality that the competition can/does offer.

You can buy much better cameras in 2019 for the same price.

Just my opinion, these are only cameras, don't kill me please

Jozef.

Clearly you like the specifications to tell you everything. Good luck with that. Only actual usage will tell you that the AF is awesome under the most trying of conditions. But the measurebators very rarely take the time to pick it up and do actual usage tests, as they believe that everything can be gleaned sitting behind a desk.

Some of the most strident critics were apologetic when they actually field used them. But the damage was done.

Yes, the 6D users club will tell you that the MkII is better. Not just here and there but the overall package. I wasn't a fan of Flippy screens and didn't consider it an asset until I needed to shoot straight up whilst walking along a bridge. I became a convert instantly.

What would be a more interesting question would be could you find ANY user who decided to abandon the MkII in favour of the original model? I very much doubt there are any. Enough said...

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +28 more
JerryriggedTECH
JerryriggedTECH Contributing Member • Posts: 969

MANO41 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I started out with the 6D (and still have one) to which I've now added a 5D Mark IV and the EOS R. One important thing... these others will not get you better images. Sorry, but for a long time, I shot with the 6D and 5D4 side-by-side. And I always got just as many keepers on the 6D as on the 5D4! Now there are other reasons to upgrade cameras! I like the added video features on both the 5D4 and the R. Both have improved autofocus and excellent low light performance. With the EOS R, I've even increased my keeper rate, as the the AF is almost perfect! Really the only time it misses is when I focus on the wrong subject!

I still really like the 6D... but if you must upgrade, I'd probably consider the EOS RP or R - even if you have to save a bit more. You're EF lenses will still work (with adapter), and the AF is next level.

-- hide signature --

Jerryrigged
http://www.rightshotphotography.com
https://500px.com/jerrymcmurphy
EOS R (x2), 5D4, 6D, A6500
EF-S 10-18 IS STM
EF: 16-35 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 35mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8L Macro
Sony: 18-105mm f/4 G OSS

JerryriggedTECH's gear list:JerryriggedTECH's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +5 more
G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 667

I attempted to write a user review of the 6dMkii after a fairly intensive first six weeks with the camera.   Almost a year later I still feel the same.  In other words very satisfied with it.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4319519

Here is a short video I made with the camera - all handheld using lens IS and digital IS.

https://youtu.be/vm4HYv_Jlfs

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +12 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,900

MANO41 wrote:

Hi everyone,

The 6D was terrific. I was using various 1D bodies at the time it was released, and immediately realized the benefits it offered. I perceived it as occupying the space intended for the 5D line before Canon took that series in a more professional direction. The 6D was popularly derided for its specs, usually by those who had never used the camera. I thought the camera performed quite well for wedding work and used it alongside my 1DIV for a season. As it got into more hands, the 6D's reputation changed considerably. Mostly, the 6D was criticized not for what it was, but for what it wasn't. It seemed like a lot of people were critical of its lacks of "pro" features, when that clearly wasn't what Canon had designed it for.

The 6DII is basically a full-frame 80D. It even used the same AF system as the 6DII. Of course, the smaller sensor in the 80D means that those same points cover a somewhat smaller total area in the 6DII. Would that matter to you? (We have the 80D, but not the 6DII to compare it with in that respect. We do use the 5DIV, which has the larger AF point spead.)

I have considered the 6DII for leisure and travel. There simply is not a better option in the Canon line for full-frame. But where we depend upon large, bright, full-frame L glass for our pro work, I personally appreciate the EFS lenses for travel. And the 80D is a very nice camera. So maybe in the future at some point, when prices are lower. For you, however, the 6DII may just be the best solution.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads