Peter Lik

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
roytempest Forum Member • Posts: 81
Peter Lik

I was fortunate enough to travel to Las Vegas on business last week and, while I was there, took a quick look inside one of Peter's very expensive stores.  Being a member of the proletariat, obviously I didn't buy any of his work.

I remembered that there is a lot of controversy in the photography community around his work.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite, how much PP is reasonable, and the relative merits of his extraordinary ability to self-promote.

That said his images certainly are striking.

Thoughts?

roytempest's gear list:roytempest's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,452
Re: Peter Lik

roytempest wrote:

I was fortunate enough to travel to Las Vegas on business last week and, while I was there, took a quick look inside one of Peter's very expensive stores. Being a member of the proletariat, obviously I didn't buy any of his work.

I remembered that there is a lot of controversy in the photography community around his work.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite, how much PP is reasonable, and the relative merits of his extraordinary ability to self-promote.

Thoughts?

The complaint is that they're mostly just cliche' and lack originality and I tend to agree.

Many of his images are quite stunning in person and certainly some are quite beautiful. I enjoyed walking through his Caesars gallery. Color me jealous actually.

And if I had that portfolio and was able to promote myself into that kind of prosperity, I wouldn't pay much attention to my critics.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,482
Overcranked HDR.

Painful!

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366

During a family trip to Vegas last summer, we spent part of a day at the Forum Shops at Caesars. This retail center includes several artist galleries, such as "Modernist Cuisine" featuring amazing limited edition prints by Nathan Myhrvold, "LIK Fine Art Gallery," displaying the work of Peter Lik and the "National Geographic Fine Art Gallery," which represents a variety of photographers and their outstanding images. While I'm not personally a fan of Lik's work, I would encourage anyone who spends time in Sin City and has an interest to visit his and other galleries. Seeing a large print of a photograph, in person in a gallery, is a very different experience from viewing the same image on a smartphone or computer screen. There truly is no comparison between the two experiences.

As a dedicated nature and wildlife photographer, I found the exhibited photographs in the Nat Geo gallery, inspirational. There's a Joel Sartore photo on display of a grizzly bear about to snatch a salmon, midair. Sartore does fantastic work. His photo ark project is truly admirable. If he'd pressed the shutter release just 1/100-second later, his bear photo would have been nearly identical to Tom Mangelsen's iconic, "Catch of the Day," which was made a decade before. You know a photo is legitimately iconic when, years later, an established professional photographer captures a nearly identical image that's good enough for National Geographic.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Jake2046
Jake2046 Regular Member • Posts: 233

I think most would like his work a lot more had he not lie about it being not heavily manipulated.

Jake2046 wrote:

I think most would like his work a lot more had he not lie about it being not heavily manipulated.

A bit of information about how he obtains the results would create respect.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,376

roytempest wrote:

I was fortunate enough to travel to Las Vegas on business last week and, while I was there, took a quick look inside one of Peter's very expensive stores. Being a member of the proletariat, obviously I didn't buy any of his work.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite,

Some of his work is obviously composited.

how much PP is reasonable,

This is a personal preference. On these boards, people tend to say they hate too much PP. But there is no objective standard for "too much."

and the relative merits of his extraordinary ability to self-promote.

He is bloody good at that.

Thoughts?

Most of his work is not to my taste. However, my only personal issue with him is that he obscures the fact that his work is processed. This heightens the fallacious idea that SOOC is somehow the gold standard.

lilBuddha wrote:

roytempest wrote:

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite,

Some of his work is obviously composited.

But is any of it composted? The mark of a true artist is his willingness to destroy his own work.

pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 272

Bill Ferris wrote:

During a family trip to Vegas last summer, we spent part of a day at the Forum Shops at Caesars. This retail center includes several artist galleries, such as "Modernist Cuisine" featuring amazing limited edition prints by Nathan Myhrvold, "LIK Fine Art Gallery," displaying the work of Peter Lik and the "National Geographic Fine Art Gallery," which represents a variety of photographers and their outstanding images. While I'm not personally a fan of Lik's work, I would encourage anyone who spends time in Sin City and has an interest to visit his and other galleries. Seeing a large print of a photograph, in person in a gallery, is a very different experience from viewing the same image on a smartphone or computer screen. There truly is no comparison between the two experiences.

As a dedicated nature and wildlife photographer, I found the exhibited photographs in the Nat Geo gallery, inspirational. There's a Joel Sartore photo on display of a grizzly bear about to snatch a salmon, midair. Sartore does fantastic work. His photo ark project is truly admirable. If he'd pressed the shutter release just 1/100-second later, his bear photo would have been nearly identical to Tom Mangelsen's iconic, "Catch of the Day," which was made a decade before. You know a photo is legitimately iconic when, years later, an established professional photographer captures a nearly identical image that's good enough for National Geographic.

We were there a few months ago. I enjoyed both the Lik and Nat Geo galleries very much. I did spend much more time in the Nat Geo gallery and found those prints to be a lot more interesting.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320
Things like this...

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/06/peter-lik-called-photographers-faked-moon-photo/

There is nothing wrong with his stuff, he just shouldn't make claims that they are unaltered.

Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,046

roytempest wrote:

Thoughts?

I like Peters work for the same reason I like pop music it is entertainment while in Key West I enjoyed his gallery but I did find the work of another photographer a few store down to be significantly better. But here is the thing I don’t remember the name of the photographer or gallery unlike Peter. The only real issue I have is his I am not sure I would call it dishonest but lack of candor when it comes to his work on the resale market. The highest price paid for one of his prints at auction is right around 6,000.00 so for many of his clients who walked out the door with a limited edition 20,000.00 plus work of art end up finding out when they go to sell it that they have nothing more then a nice print worth a few grand if that.

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Re: Things like this...

Jonsi wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/06/peter-lik-called-photographers-faked-moon-photo/

There is nothing wrong with his stuff, he just shouldn't make claims that they are unaltered.

Clouds behind the moon? I see it all the time.

drynn Regular Member • Posts: 404

Don Lacy wrote:

... The highest price paid for one of his prints at auction is right around 6,000.00

Peta Pixel reported: Australian landscape photographer Peter Lik has taken the crown for most expensive photo ever sold. “Phantom,” the picture shown above, was sold to a private collector for a staggering $6.5 million. The record was previously held by Andreas Gursky’s “Rhein II”, which sold for $4.3 million back in 2011.

So whereas others may be concerned about the auction prices, I doubt that he is if can move them privately at those kind of prices

Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,046

drynn wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

... The highest price paid for one of his prints at auction is right around 6,000.00

Peta Pixel reported: Australian landscape photographer Peter Lik has taken the crown for most expensive photo ever sold. “Phantom,” the picture shown above, was sold to a private collector for a staggering $6.5 million. The record was previously held by Andreas Gursky’s “Rhein II”, which sold for $4.3 million back in 2011.

So whereas others may be concerned about the auction prices, I doubt that he is if can move them privately at those kind of prices

The highest resale value at auction was 15,850 for  ghost a color version of the phantom it doesn’t matter what you paid Peter for it no one else is going to pay those prices for it on the open market. That was a private sale and as far as I know was never verified while Gursky’s Rhein II was a public sale at auction. Like I said if you pay up to and over a 100,000.00 for one of Peters prints you did not make an investment and you will not recoup your money the majority of his sales are to uneducated art buyers who walk into his gallery.

https://news.artnet.com/market/new-york-times-exposes-peter-lik-photography-scheme-264858

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more

drynn wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

Value is not determined by unverified sales, it is rather pathetic that the claims made about such are reported as news and not with extreme caution.

I was incorrect when I said the only issue I have is his not being open about manipulation¹.

I do not like his arrogance, but that is not a valid complaint against art.

He markets to those who do not follow the art establishment and I like that. However, I dislike the pricing structure and the lack of real value after sale. It feels very slimy and dishonest.

¹Though his gallery has admitted that Moonlit Dreams is a composite.

Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,119

While I do think that the guy has skills and also really has an eye for light, color and composition, I'm not really moved by his work. Though it is certainly eye catching, for me it somehow lacks anything like a real personality or that elusive quality of soul. I would describe it as very expertly done eye candy... but nothing more. The photographers that I most admire create work that I feel is far less cliche and more personal than this guy's stuff...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320

stevo23 wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Uh huh...

And composited moons too ?

stevo23 wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

For the love of all that is good and right, tell me that was sarcasm.

lilBuddha wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

For the love of all that is good and right, tell me that was sarcasm.

It’s an effective use of negative space.  It’s a real thing.

Crash N Burn
Crash N Burn Regular Member • Posts: 119

Peter Lik strikes me as a very, very dishonest "photographer." "Fabricator" might be more apropos.

I bet he has a team of minimum wage interns huddled over his images, working desperately to composite the rather uninspired originals into something passably compelling--and largely failing--and another minimum wage PR team working desperately to credibly deny that some (most?) of his work is composited--and also failing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads