Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Started 5 months ago | Polls
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,036
Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

No text.

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
POLL
Mostly to get faster shutter speed and good image quality in low light.
44.4% 83  votes
Mostly to get better control over depth of field (shallower DOF).
15.5% 29  votes
About half-and-half, speed and DOF control.
32.6% 61  votes
Some other reason.
7.5% 14  votes
  Show results
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 19,247
Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

I voted half and half, but it varies somewhat by lens ... with a wide/normal, I'm more interested in speed for low light than for shallow DOF. With a portrait lens, it's primarily for shallow DOF (I shoot casual candids where I'm not controlling the background). And with my 70-200, it's primarily for shutter speed, but I usually appreciate the shallow DOF.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,439

Thankfully, modern digital cameras have enabled the easy use of f/2.8 lenses in low light sports. During the film era I remember restricting myself to the brightest area of high school football fields or checking for burnt out lights in the ceiling of high school basketball gyms. For many years my "go-to" lens was a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8 lens for basketball to achieve marginal results. Phew! Digital allows us to use the "slower" and far more flexible f/2.8 zooms with much better results.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 12,055

Don't forget:

• Brighter Viewfinder 
  • More accurate auto focus
  • They tend to be sharper (a high quality f/2.8 lens is likely sharper at f/3.5 or f/5.6 then a lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5).
  • The wider apertures tend to be bundled with other features (i.e better build quality, weatherproofing, better optical quality).
 Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,764

As I said in a recent comment "I just like fast glass, and owning a 1.2 makes me feel good."

But low light performance is a good rational justification. The fast aperture allows for a shallow depth of field, should I want it, but I've found I often prefer a stopped down version if I have enough light.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,907

Lee Jay wrote:

To go with my fast car.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
justinwonnacott Contributing Member • Posts: 938

Brighter viewfinder in a dslr easier to focus in low light. Otherwise I avoid paying a premium for them because of the usual performance loss wide open, large and heavy piece of expensive kit that costs too much. I like sharp images, not images with a tiny zone of sharpness. Extremely thin DOF is a fashion/fad of extremely limited use and I will not pay for that unless I have no choice.

justinwonnacott's gear list:justinwonnacott's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,518

Abstaining.  The absolute last thing I want on my camera is one of these two pound f1.4 monstrosities.   The world really doesn't need another one eyelash in focus blurry nose and ears masterpiece :^)

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 10,380

Michael Fryd wrote:

Don't forget:

• Brighter Viewfinder

If you are using a camera with a padf system, why would an F 1.4 lens provide more accuracy then an F 4 lens or F 2.8 ??

• They tend to be sharper (a high quality f/2.8 lens is likely sharper at f/3.5 or f/5.6 then a lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5).
  • The wider apertures tend to be bundled with other features (i.e better build quality, weatherproofing, better optical quality).
-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,644

40% - better low light ability

15% - DOF control

45% - better quality glass

OP Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,036

Jonsi wrote:

45% - better quality glass

This one isn't a given.  There are some outstanding slower lenses now.  For example, the Canon 70-200/4L IS II and the Canon 100-400L IS II are both excellent optically.  I bought the 70-200/2.8L IS II, but interestingly one of the two reasons is not even in my poll - compatibility with a 2x teleconverter.  The other reason is speed in low light.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
trungtran Contributing Member • Posts: 960

Interesting people buy faster lenses for the better IQ in low light.

If i want better IQ in the low light, i use a bigger sensor and a speed light.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,764

trungtran wrote:

I don't want to carry a bigger sensor, and flash is taking a totally different picture.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more

Barry Twycross wrote:

trungtran wrote:

I don't want to carry a bigger sensor, and flash is taking a totally different picture.

Valid points.

I started with a 40D, acquired the Canon 28 1.8 lens because i was told it would improve my indoor shots.

Never really happy with that lens, especially shooting wide open. Picked up a flash and it made my photos so much better than just the lens.

There are ways to use a flash that can make images look natural. I agree it does change the look, but i take the IQ improvement if possible to use a flash.

Photography is changing, i think fast lenses will be less relevant in the future as sensor development and computational algorithms improve.

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,644

trungtran wrote:

Generally better IQ in all light.

So you go from a full frame sensor up to what?

And why would you use a speedlight if a larger aperture would do the job in natural light ?!

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,966
nope

trungtran wrote:

If i want better IQ in the low light, i use a bigger sensor

Bigger sensor don't gather more light, but bigger lenses do.

and a speed light.

If you like the deer in the headlight look, with everything in the foreground overexposed and the background dark. Good luck lighting up a building, a dark alley, or even a simple vacation shot.

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

Michael Fryd

tony field wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

Don't forget:

• Brighter Viewfinder

If you are using a camera with a padf system, why would an F 1.4 lens provide more accuracy then an F 4 lens or F 2.8 ??

Take the Canon 5D 4 for instance. There are 61 Autofocus points, but not all are created equal. Each point has from one to four PDAF sensors in various orientations; horizontal, vertical, right diagonal, and left diagonal.

Some of the sensors work with lenses that's f/8 or faster, some work with lenses that are f/5.6 or faster.

A few of them are slightly higher precision, but only work with lenses that are f/4 or faster.

Five AF points near the center offer the highest precision, but only work with lenses f/2.8 or faster.

Take the center AF point. With an f/8 lens the horizontal and vertical PDAF sensor will do a good job with most lenses. However, the right and left diagonal sensors can provide higher precision results with lenses faster than f/2.8.

As the camera focuses with the lens wide open, you get the benefits of the high precision focus points with an f/2.8 lens, even if you are shooting at f/8.

Thus the f/2.8 version of the 70-200 lens may yield more accurate focus than the f/4 version, even if you are shooting at f/4 or slower.

Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Michael Fryd
Re: nope

tko wrote:

trungtran wrote:

In terms of the lens, the angle of view and aperture diameter are the two main factors in how much light you gather.   Generally, for a given angle of view, it's easier to find a lens with a large aperture for larger sensor cameras.

Jonsi wrote:

trungtran wrote:

Generally better IQ in all light.

I agree faster lens have generally better optics but i have a have 35F2 Yongnuo which although decent has a lot to be desired at F2.

So you go from a full frame sensor up to what?

I don't know?  ! started with a compact but im at FF. Every generation of FF is improving.

Maybe i get a ginormous speed light.

And why would you use a speedlight if a larger aperture would do the job in natural light ?!

Honestly i rarely shoot below F2.8.

I photography people singles and groups. I don't like the one person in focus and the other person not. If i don't have a speedlight or can't use it then sure i use the faster aperture, but i rather just use my zoom and have most people in focus.

OP Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,036
Re: nope

Michael Fryd wrote:

tko wrote:

trungtran wrote:

In terms of the lens, the angle of view and aperture diameter are the two main factors in how much light you gather. Generally, for a given angle of view, it's easier to find a lens with a large aperture for larger sensor cameras.

Correct, and the reason for that is larger sensors require longer focal length for the same angle of view, and longer focal length means slower f-stop for the same aperture diameter.  Slower f-stops are easy to design and correct, with the limiting factor the fact that you can't scale the refractive index of glass.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads