sony RX100 mk7 vs Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
donsalvadori
donsalvadori Regular Member • Posts: 165
sony RX100 mk7 vs Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

I just dont get how the sony outclasses the canon to warrent almost a $400 price difference and was hoping sony fans could maybe shed some light for me. I would like a good camera thats not bulky for vlogging and discrete for travel, but 1300 for a 1" sensor is pushing it.

Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,294
Re: sony RX100 mk7 vs Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

If, IF I was in the market for a point and shoot I most likely would lean towards the Canon G5X II or the RX100 5A over the mk7. I seldom zoom that often and based on my past shooting the faster lens of the 5A and new Canon would appeal to me more. We all won't agree on this and it wouldn't be a fun forum if we did. That said, I have only seen maybe 25 sample shots from the new Canon and that just isn't enough. If the lens is weak that would leave me with the 5A. I was excited when Canon released the G1X III...APS-C sensor in a reasonably small body with a zoom lens. Problem was that after shooting with it for three or four days I thought the lens was a weak point (just my take OR bad sample) of the camera. The Leica X Vario is a much better fixed lens zoom camera and I have one. I tried the Canon wanting to go a bit smaller.

-- hide signature --

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon G9 X II Sony RX1R Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV +10 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,182
What about the G7 X Mark III?

Faster lens, built-in ND filter, also mic input, full touch screen compared with the new Sony. Now 4K video with no crop. Much cheaper.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +8 more
buratino
buratino Regular Member • Posts: 442

donsalvadori wrote:

I just dont get how the sony outclasses the canon to warrent almost a $400 price difference and was hoping sony fans could maybe shed some light for me. I would like a good camera thats not bulky for vlogging and discrete for travel, but 1300 for a 1" sensor is pushing it.

I have no idea how good or bad Sony lens is, but this one is G5X Mark I:

at 24mm (FF), DPReview test image

at 28mm (FF)

I heard Sony followed the Canon's trend of cheating with their latest offerings, but before, their 24-70mm (FF) variants seemed to be much better than Canon's.

buratino's gear list:buratino's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +9 more
buratino
Re: What about the G7 X Mark III?

Markr041 wrote:

Faster lens, built-in ND filter, also mic input, full touch screen compared with the new Sony. Now 4K video with no crop. Much cheaper.

below is G7X Mark I's image:

at 24mm (FF)

Is Mark III's lens better than this one? I hate Sony's ergonomics, but Canon's quality is a no-no for me!

Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +9 more
donsalvadori
OP donsalvadori Regular Member • Posts: 165

while I like the Leica X Vario, I don't like the conspicuousness of that fabled red dot

donsalvadori
OP donsalvadori Regular Member • Posts: 165

is this the new one they released? If so my bad as I was looking at canon website and assumed the model I mentioned was their new release

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,253

buratino wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

Is Mark III's lens better than this one? I hate Sony's ergonomics, but Canon's quality is a no-no for me!

It's almost certainly the same lens, with unchanged optics,  as the original G7X.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +18 more
LarryB2 Regular Member • Posts: 199
Im buying a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

I will be selling my VI and buying the Canon G5XII.  I miss having a ND filter and will like the faster lens.   24-120 zoom range is very good.   I see the stabilization is much better on the Canon.  Sony’s stabilization is not good.

Also love the touch menus of Canon.   I see the autofocus is not as fast as the Sony’s but it doesn’t bother me as I shoot static subjects.

LarryB2's gear list:LarryB2's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon G7 X II Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Re: Im buying a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

LarryB2 wrote:

I will be selling my VI and buying the Canon G5XII. I miss having a ND filter and will like the faster lens. 24-120 zoom range is very good. I see the stabilization is much better on the Canon. Sony’s stabilization is not good.

It's pretty good on the RX100M6. See this example, shot at 1/13 sec, 200mm equiv zoom:

This handheld shot was taken at 200mm equiv, 1/13 sec, ISO6400 (RAW, processed in DxO PL2 and Topaz DeNoise AI)

Also love the touch menus of Canon. I see the autofocus is not as fast as the Sony’s but it doesn’t bother me as I shoot static subjects.

Have you made the decision before seeing the G5Xii's RAW images or any reviews?

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +18 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

I actually would agree maybe the canon is a rebranded Sony where canon put their touches with a Sony shell design. Maybe that viewfinder is not patented however that stuff works since they are similar. Yes going to 120 mm past 70 mm is pretty good.

I have to look again but lower light performance in casual situations is my interest in a camera type like this.  I know there is only so much you can do and concessions are made but the Sony rx100 vi was terrible for my use.  The other problem that does not speak to the camera ability are outdoor landscape type images. Any camera can do that and the image looks great.  That is not the usual at least for what I want.

LarryB2 Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Im buying a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II

Good point as there are not many reviews.  Hopefully they will start popping up before I make the purchase.  I may wait and see if Sony introduces a new VB with all of the features of the VII and built in ND filter.  That would be a good camera.

Last year they introduced the VA shortly after the VI was announced.

LarryB2's gear list:LarryB2's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon G7 X II Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 916

buratino wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

I have both Sony RX100M6 and Canon G7Xii, but the ergonomics is rather similar. And these RAWs can simply be corrected with Adobe RAW.

Sony has better AF than Canon but the AF is OK.

We are so spoiled with this oversaturated market. So much choice.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +4 more
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

donsalvadori wrote:

No match!, the Sony is way way better!!!!

PS: read Gordon Langs rewiev of both!

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Samsung NX500 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more

mermaidkiller wrote:

buratino wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

I have both Sony RX100M6 and Canon G7Xii, but the ergonomics is rather similar. And these RAWs can simply be corrected with Adobe RAW.

DxO is much better for lens correction than ACR.  And even then, you get soft, noisy corners and  edges with the G7X because of the heavy barrel distortion and vignetting. The RX100M6 is better,  and the older RX100 models better still at the wide end.

Sony has better AF than Canon but the AF is OK.

It's OK for static focusing (AS-S), hopeless for continuous focusing (AF-C,  which I think Canon calls AF Servo).

We are so spoiled with this oversaturated market. So much choice.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,182
  • buratino wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

The RX100 VI and VII has even worse crop at 24mm. Check it out. Much worse, right?

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62947688

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +8 more
buratino

Markr041 wrote:

• buratino wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

The RX100 VI and VII has even worse crop at 24mm. Check it out. Much worse, right?

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62947688

I see - you refer to my yesterday's post! I am not anti-Canon. I immediately expressed my negative opinion about the same cheating in the case of Sony. I just believe we customers have the full right to know exactly what we getting and what is possible in the design and what is not. For example, in the link you refer to OP wanted a bigger sensor!! For what? to see image circle completely within the sensor? Well, OP just did not know the truth about the design limitations of those wonders.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,899

donsalvadori wrote:

I just don't get how the sony outclasses the canon to warrant almost a $400 price difference and was hoping sony fans could maybe shed some light for me.

Easy, 200mm equiv vs 120mm equiv. Simple as that. People with ICL cameras pay big bucks for longer lenses so that should be easy to understand. Some people want more telephoto range and prefer the rx100 MK6/7. Some people are happy with a shorter range and go for the two Canons. Some people are happy with the 24-70 faster lens in the RX100Va. Me I shoot an RX10vi 24-600mm because I want all the zoom I can get.

One last thing. According to reviews the Sony cameras have sharper lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 14,105
Better?

Digital Nigel wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

buratino wrote:

at 24mm (FF)

DxO is much better for lens correction than ACR. And even then, you get soft, noisy corners and edges with the G7X because of the heavy barrel distortion and vignetting. The RX100M6 is better

I don't see how the RX100VI is better in that regard. Distortion and vignetting look essentially identical to me:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads