Real cameras with telephoto lenses could have avoided this

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,126
Re: Real cameras with telephoto lenses could have avoided this

All this talk of how fast bovines can run reminded me of crocodiles.

The myth is that crocodiles can outrun people, but it's not exactly true. They can peak at 11mph. Fastest humans peak at 28mph. The main problem is with four legs animals accelerate better. So I would prefer to get 20ft head start minimum on a croc even if I am feeling sprightly.

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 2,890

threw the lens wrote:

The myth is that crocodiles can outrun people, but it's not exactly true. They can peak at 11mph. Fastest humans peak at 28mph. The main problem is with four legs animals accelerate better. So I would prefer to get 20ft head start minimum on a croc even if I am feeling sprightly.

Since 40% of American adults are obese and peak at 8 mph the croc still has a good chance.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 2,134

threw the lens wrote:

When you say fastest humans I think you mean human as only one person has got close to that speed (Bolt who I think can run 27mph flat out.) Also, most people couldn't run at 11mph for any length of time, it's faster than you might think!

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +12 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

markyboy81 wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

When you say fastest humans I think you mean human as only one person has got close to that speed (Bolt who I think can run 27mph flat out.) Also, most people couldn't run at 11mph for any length of time, it's faster than you might think!

If you want to prove me wrong, we can organise a you v crocodile race and youtube it.

markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 2,134

threw the lens wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

If you want to prove me wrong, we can organise a you v crocodile race and youtube it.

I'm happy to provide any evidence of me running slower than a crocodile.

Do you know my personal best for the 100m? 75m.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +12 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,834

threw the lens wrote:

it isn't a mythg but an accurate description of what happens in the real world.

That is where you (not Usain Bolt) is standing by a river (not on purpose made  track) and the croc jumps out of the water 2 or 3 metres away (that is 6' to 9' to you) .

That is how crocs hunt.

Small details but vital , in the true sense of the word.

chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,880

People looking to get a selfie and searching for likes suspend all common sense, me included

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +20 more
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765

araudan wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

So you wouldn't have to try to cozy up to a wild animal to get a photo with a phone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49101874

Common sense would have been even more effective.

Wouldn't buying a cheap long zoom compact as part of the planning process before travelling to an area full of unapproachable wild animals constitute common sense; so the OPs comment still stands as far as I can see.

JohnTh Forum Member • Posts: 54

...because their (spiritual) lenses are so short-sighted?

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with an Ascetic Experience:
http://asceticexperience.com/

JohnTh's gear list:JohnTh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads