2nd of July 2019 eclipse from La Serena, Chile ; C&C welcome

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
frenchy01 Regular Member • Posts: 365
2nd of July 2019 eclipse from La Serena, Chile ; C&C welcome

End of June some friends and me went to Chile with the hope to see and image the 2nd of July eclipse. We were fortunate enough to have good weather in La Serena, so we took the pictures from our balcony (happily escaping the traffic jams...).

Following picture is a composite of different phases (warning: you need a 16/9 120/10 format monitor for optimum viewing of the panorama...:-)):

2nd of July 2019 eclipse composite

The sun turning orange/red comes from the fact that the eclipse finished 10 minutes before sunset (I used a Baader filter and kept the white balance constant at 5250K on the set of images).

However I can't see any stars during totality on my pictures (bracketted between 1/2000 and 2s), nor do I see structure on the moon surface on the longuest exposures. Probably due to seeing conditions not being optimum at such low altitudes above the horizon (about 13° for the totality). Or maybe that fellow photographers who went to the mountains were better served than at sea level?

Frenchie

frenchy01's gear list:frenchy01's gear list
Nikon D850
rnclark Senior Member • Posts: 3,856
Re: 2nd of July 2019 eclipse from La Serena, Chile ; C&C welcome

frenchy01 wrote:

End of June some friends and me went to Chile with the hope to see and image the 2nd of July eclipse. We were fortunate enough to have good weather in La Serena, so we took the pictures from our balcony (happily escaping the traffic jams...).

Following picture is a composite of different phases (warning: you need a 16/9 120/10 format monitor for optimum viewing of the panorama...:-)):

2nd of July 2019 eclipse composite

The sun turning orange/red comes from the fact that the eclipse finished 10 minutes before sunset (I used a Baader filter and kept the white balance constant at 5250K on the set of images).

However I can't see any stars during totality on my pictures (bracketted between 1/2000 and 2s), nor do I see structure on the moon surface on the longuest exposures. Probably due to seeing conditions not being optimum at such low altitudes above the horizon (about 13° for the totality). Or maybe that fellow photographers who went to the mountains were better served than at sea level?

Frenchie

Beautiful, well done.  You maintained good color in the prominences, as well as in the corona, which is very rare.  Nice detail in the corona too.

Roger

chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,012

I've been waiting to see if anyone managed to capture it.

Congrats!

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

OP frenchy01 Regular Member • Posts: 365

Thanks Roger, honored to get a compliment about color from such an expert on astro colors. Still remember your comment about my northern light pictures and you were right, my magenta slider (auto WB - beginners error) was way too high!

The totality picture with the corona is from a single exposure, I am struggling a bit to get an acceptable quality from combining different exposures. Still working on it.

Frenchie

Nikon D850

Thanks! I am a bit surprised that with more than 300000 tourists going to La Serena for the eclipse I am the only one to post on the subject here (although now there is an article from Erez Marom on DPReview about his experience with shooting the eclipse (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5268202112/black-hole-sun-shooting-the-total-solar-eclipse-in-argentina )

Nikon D850
EricTheAstroJunkie Regular Member • Posts: 253

I was at La Silla for the eclipse, did a mosaic at 70mm with my Nikon Z7 and Nikkor 24-70mm f4s lens:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gxiJ6m][img]

EricTheAstroJunkie's gear list:EricTheAstroJunkie's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D5300 Nikon Z7 +8 more
chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,012

EricTheAstroJunkie wrote:

I was at La Silla for the eclipse, did a mosaic at 70mm with my Nikon Z7 and Nikkor 24-70mm f4s lens:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gxiJ6m][img]

Nice/appropriate composition!

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

That's a fantastic wide view of the eclipse, with a very "on the topic" foreground!

For my first eclipse I concentrated on telephoto images, our foreground at La Serena was anyway not that interesting (beach + sea).

Frenchie

Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads