What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,592
What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

There's a challenge being judged now for "Negative Space". I'm not sure my concept of negative space is the same as many of the entrants.

This question is not specifically about the challenge, but the concept in general.

What, to you, is negative space?

What, to you, is not negative space?

How do you effectively use it in a photo?

How do you feature it in a photo?

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,512
Re: What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

negative space was invented for all the non-artistic photographers to think they were artistic. kind of an example.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,782

Barry Twycross wrote:

There's a challenge being judged now for "Negative Space". I'm not sure my concept of negative space is the same as many of the entrants.

This question is not specifically about the challenge, but the concept in general.

It's not really a "thing" so much as a consequence of one or more of several compositional techniques.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,917
That's totally incorrect /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +29 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,917
Negative space is everything but the subject's form.

It's a visual art term/concept.  It's easiest seen in photography in shallow dof images where the background is a complete blur, or in BIF images when the bird is against a blank sky, or "Rembrandt" style portraits, or Avedon style ones against a blank background, & etc.

It's possible to have virtually no negative space, for instance in an image with deep dof where the subject is spread out throughout the frame.  It's possible to have patchy negative space.

It's easier in the other visual arts because everything in the frame is put there deliberately, including the negative space.  In photography, things get a bit more complicated, because negative space doesn't really exist in nature---it's an aesthetic , formal construct of composition.  There is no composition in nature.  Inasmuch as photography "just" captures nature, and that the photographer doesn't really place things there (typically), the idea is a bit dodgier in photography.  But it can still easily exist.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +29 more
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Contributing Member • Posts: 909

Barry Twycross wrote:

Good article on Negative Space:

https://www.creativebloq.com/art/art-negative-space-8133765

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,377
Re: That's totally incorrect /nt

tex wrote:

Mention anything related to art and things quickly get stupid around here.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,971
Re: That's totally incorrect /nt

lilBuddha wrote:

tex wrote:

Apparently photography doesn't have anything to do with art. I'm sure I read one of our members expressing that view and he is always right.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more

Barry Twycross wrote:

The space around the subject that accentuates the subject by being in contrast or muted in some way.

That kinda doesn't make sense outside of evaluating specific examples.

Effective is subjective and also evaluated on an individual image basis. However, I consider it successful if the negative image not only fades from immediate view, but also draw attention to the subject in a more dynamic fashion and/or a more subtle way.

Isn't this the same question as the last one?

Horoscope Fish wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

That is a good article. Though, that is graphic art and it is easier to control the space.

Negative space in photography can be more complicated or subtle.

One can go to the effective, but often boring, technique of merely blurring the background, of course. This article is a little light on examples, but a couple should more interesting uses of negative space.

Some good examples here as well.

Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Contributing Member • Posts: 909

lilBuddha wrote:

Horoscope Fish wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

That is a good article. Though, that is graphic art and it is easier to control the space.

Negative space in photography can be more complicated or subtle.

Agreed. That being said, neither of those factors (complexity, subtlety) alter what Negative Space inherently IS.

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,005

In focus, out of focus -has nothing to do with it.

You design it into your framing for any number reasons not the least viable of which is to give the art director /editor a place to insert copy.

I sometimes like  to wipe the frame of anything distracting from the subject. The side(s)  of a landscape orientation image  or the top of a portrait orientation shot.

The exact opposite of filling the frame with all sorts of stuff - potentially to heavily diffuse  or for the viewer to explore. Depends on your mood, the content  and the available options.

Also handy in some instances  if you may need both gatefold and single page versions of the same image

-- hide signature --

dw

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 2,971

I think others have explained it well, but to me it is deliberately blank or featureless space in an image used to accentuate a subject and/or to create a dramatic contrast.

I like to use it to firmly separate a small element of the image, or to give a sense of proportion. Sometimes I am able to use it to create a particular emotion, such as a sense of isolation. Other times it is to achieve a consciously minimalist effect. Here are some examples that I was able to find easily (I really do need to organise my photos better).

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,815

Barry Twycross wrote:

As defined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_space

More related to photography:

"Elements of an image that distract from the intended subject, or in the case of photography, objects in the same focal plane, are not considered negative space. Negative space may be used to depict a subject in a chosen medium by showing everything around the subject, but not the subject itself. Use of negative space will produce a silhouette of the subject. Most often, negative space is used as a neutral or contrasting background to draw attention to the main subject, which then is referred to as the positive space."

Positive space.

To draw attention to the main subject.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,238
Good example.

New Day Rising wrote:

This is a really good visual description of what I think of as "negative space."

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +24 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,238
Samples:

Over in the challenges section of this site, there is a challenge specifically for negative space. The entries can give you an idea of how other people think of it, and use it.

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13810

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +24 more
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,947
uhm

lilBuddha wrote:

tex wrote:

Are you saying that when you mention something about gear or technology, things magically become smart?

Read the responses under the "why are lenses" round thread."

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Contributing Member • Posts: 906

Horoscope Fish wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

Your link is to me is a whole new take on Negative Space. It seems more like optical illusion. This guy posts on the samples and galleries page once in a while, and I think he is the king of negative space. Or maybe it's jut minimalism.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4403816#forum-post-62809166

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Re: uhm

tko wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

tex wrote:

Are you saying that when you mention something about gear or technology, things magically become smart?

Read the responses under the "why are lenses" round thread."

True

kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,756
For me...

Barry Twycross wrote:

This is what I think of as negative space...

While there is nothing to see between the water and the fog in the air that has taken on the same colour, it adds to the presentation of the subject which is the trees covered in hoar frost.

I deliberately framed the trees wider to use the negative space.

-- hide signature --
 kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads