Photo Printers that work well with Pentax DSLRs?

Started Jul 22, 2019 | Questions
HawaiianOnline Regular Member • Posts: 110
Photo Printers that work well with Pentax DSLRs?

Just curious as to what photo printers you all use to print at home or at your business. I Used to have an Epson R1800 and that made great prints from my istDS, K10D, and other Pentax cameras. It's been a long while since it died and I feel like I've got the home printing bug again. Any recommendations on what works well with Pentax? Yeah I know that there's a printer forum and that the latest printers should work well with any camera. However, I'm just wondering if there are any printers that just seem to work well with Pentax cameras like the K5IIs?

HawaiianOnline's gear list:HawaiianOnline's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +15 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Matt FG Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Photo Printers that work well with Pentax DSLRs?

Any of the major printer manufactures- Epson, Cannon, HP- photo printers will do just fine with any camera brand Pentax included.

Everyone has their own ideas on which printer brand is best. Print fidelity, paper feed, ink usage, clogging, general durability are some of the bigger categories that  drive people to one brand or another.

Epson is where I’ve settled, with a 2080, 600 and 9900 currently active in the studio. Some complain about head clogging I’ve found humidity of the workspace (+30%) works well for keeping head clogs at bay. I also like that quality third party inks can be found.

Likely the biggest chalange you’ll face once you’ve picked a printer is getting your workflow setup for accurate seen to screen to paper printing.

Its worth the effort, nothing like good prints though.

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,176

For photo printing I've always used HP and the photosmarts have done a good job with my IIs.

Currently using a Officejet 7740 multifunction because of business needs but do think the dedicated Photsmarts are that bit better just for photos.

Mind these days all brands seem good.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Orman Hall Forum Member • Posts: 71

I have used Canon and Epson printers with great success. Personally, I like the output of the Canon printers a smidge better but the Epson printers are tops when it comes to archival quality and longevity. The HP printers produce nice prints but historically they are the lowest regarded when it comes to archival quality.

If I were producing large premium prints for sale, I would go with the Epson.

Orman Hall's gear list:Orman Hall's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
TomWret
TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,761

I agree with you Orman, I have used an Epson for many years. I currently have the Epson R3000. I believe that the newer models are "P" series. When the "P" series came out the R3000 went on sale between a rebate and a huge sale on inventory I couldn't resist buying one, So I used the old one I had until the inks were used and then started using the new one. So now I have a huge boxed up Epson with no ink setting in our spare bedroom.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,708

There are always Ricoh printers...  oh wait, they don't do photo printers! 

Doug

p.s., sorry, I couldn't resist.

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +32 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

I have been using the Canon 9000 Mark II for several years and as long as I use Canon inks no clogs even after long (as in months) of no use. When I first got the printer I tried using some generic inks and eventually it clogged the heads but in the case of this printer the heads are removable and I was able to clean them but no more generic ink.

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +52 more
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,071

I'm settled in on Canon after a few years with Epson. The Canon Pro 100 is a gem and inexpensive too. Max print size is 13x19 and the quality meets or surpasses what I get from a well respected online company. Need support? Canon has the best tech support with practically no wait time and you get to speak with a tech who really knows the printer inside/out. My printer is going on year 4 and never misses a beat. I bought a spare that's still new in box. I print large and can get around 45-48 13x17" prints before needing ink. Like the other poster, been there with generic ink, but Canon is the best. Check your local Craigslist as these printers can be found for sub $150 (complete with full size ink cartridges) as Canon bundled them with their DSLR's and most people don't print.  Btw, I use a Pentax K50 and mostly my Nikon D5300 and D7200 with ease of use.

DHOC_TAZH
DHOC_TAZH Junior Member • Posts: 41

I've been using a hp OfficeJet 8100 for six years now. I'm amazed I can still get ink for it, even though it's a discontinued model. I put up with having it replaced twice. At least support was awesome for me, as I paid nothing for shipping the broken units; hp covered all that. 
My workflow is using RawTherapee for my edits. I transfer to GIMP if I need or want more effects on my photos that RawTherapee lacks. I use both apps in Ubuntu Studio (Linux) for the majority of my photo edits, and print from there as well.
My only recommendation is to avoid the third party ink/toner suppliers. There may be good alternatives, but for me, nothing's worked better than the manufacturer's ink IMHO. I use the XL cartridges for my printer vs the cheaper regular ones, as they have more ink in them and are a better value overall.

DHOC_TAZH's gear list:DHOC_TAZH's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-x Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a6300 +24 more
Orman Hall Forum Member • Posts: 71

I am also currently using the Canon Pro 100. The output is great but I worry that Canon's dye based inks won't hold up as long as the Epson pigment based system. Has anyone subjected Canon prints to harsh light conditions? Very curious about how Canon dye will hold up against Epson pigment.

Orman Hall's gear list:Orman Hall's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
J Posthuma Contributing Member • Posts: 973

Hi Matt,

Wonder which 3rd party ink you use for Epson.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Jetze

J Posthuma's gear list:J Posthuma's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,928

Again,

There's nothing unique about the camera that makes a printer good or bad with working on images.  More important is calibrated monitors and profiles for the printers.  Honestly though, after using Epson and Canon, the cost per print was just too high and the archival results weren't good 10 years ago.  Maybe better now but I've got prints from Canon and Epson 12 years old that show significant fading.

The biggest issue I found was, the ink dries up whether I'm printing or not.  So, my cost per print was better when I was printing a lot.  When I wasn't printing a lot the ink was still drying up and I'd get less prints.

And, while printers themselves were cheap, the ink costs were not.  Since my needs have changed slightly:

I do printed photo books, less prints for albums and I've gone away from standard prints for display and done more canvas wrap, acrylic, ornaments, etc.  So, most of that I do through Bay Photo (except the books:  I'll do wedding albums through bay but the standard photo books I actually use Shutterfly and the quality is very good).

If I were still printing at home, that archival period is what I'd be most concerned with.  Photos not directly in UV light shouldn't be fading that much.

MiguelD Regular Member • Posts: 362

Orman Hall wrote:

I have used Canon and Epson printers with great success. Personally, I like the output of the Canon printers a smidge better but the Epson printers are tops when it comes to archival quality and longevity. The HP printers produce nice prints but historically they are the lowest regarded when it comes to archival quality.

If I were producing large premium prints for sale, I would go with the Epson.

This does not square with published research findings from Aardenburg Imaging which is an authority on image permanence.  When comparing pigment prints made on the same papers from the three manufacturers, HP's Vivera inkset is significantly more archival than either Canon or Epson--we are talking an estimated 200 years vs. 70-100 years.

Epson's most recent HD inkset has extended the fade resistance because they have specifically improved the yellow inks. Canon current inkset for the 2000 shows less fade resistance than for their prior Lucia inkset. The dye-based inkset for the Pro-100 is relatively pretty good for dyes (50-70 years)--pigments are far more archival in general--but to achieve that long service you have to use Canon OEM paper. Any third-party paper made with OBAs which artificially brighten the paper, will not last relatively long because the OBAs break down and attack the image.  And just about all third-party inks, both pigment and dyes--provide terrible fade resistance. They are great for disposable prints though.

M

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads