23mm vs 16mm f1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,252
Re: 23mm vs 16mm f1.4

gordonkim wrote:

So I have the 23 1.4 and have been happy with it. However, after my recent vacation, I found myself regretting not getting the the 16mm. It also doesn't help when I read articles saying how great the 16 is.

Question - does it make sense to get the 16 if one already owns the 23? Will I get more utility with the 16 vs. the 23? I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more street and family outings given the smaller size of the X-T3. However, I look a lot of landscape pics on vacation (which is where I wished I had a wider lens).

Thanks.

What you really need is the 14/2.8 for your landscapes and interior shots. Much wider than 16 and of course the wide end of the kit lens.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 225

16/1.4 is phenomenal lens. These all are shot with it - I’d say it is quite versatile even if you shoot people. Oh, it does almost macro as well.

Woman in the first picture is unknown, other three are pics of my couple-of-months-old daughter

Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/TtUqeq

Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2gETxcX

Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2g69az9

Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2g69az9

vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Yes! Go for it

gordonkim wrote:

So I have the 23 1.4 and have been happy with it. However, after my recent vacation, I found myself regretting not getting the the 16mm. It also doesn't help when I read articles saying how great the 16 is.

Question - does it make sense to get the 16 if one already owns the 23? Will I get more utility with the 16 vs. the 23? I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more street and family outings given the smaller size of the X-T3. However, I look a lot of landscape pics on vacation (which is where I wished I had a wider lens).

Thanks.

I had the same feeling when I used to have the 23mm f2, I was wishing I had a wider lens in many occasions when in touristic places, I sold my 23mm and got the 16 f1.4, I don't regret at all.

It's wide enough when you need it, and with the actual 24/26mp sensors you can crop if you find it too wide in some photos

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
locke_fc Senior Member • Posts: 1,161

gordonkim wrote:

Thanks.

For me it totally makes sense. The 16 f/1.4 is just an amazing lens. And very versatile too because of its short focus distance which allows you to shoot detail up close (15 cm).

Go for it.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,537

gordonkim wrote:

So I have the 23 1.4 and have been happy with it. However, after my recent vacation, I found myself regretting not getting the the 16mm.

Why?

It also doesn't help when I read articles saying how great the 16 is.

you are weak:)

Question - does it make sense to get the 16 if one already owns the 23?

Yes, no, maybe.

Will I get more utility with the 16 vs. the 23?

It is a very different focal length. It seems that the old adage may apply - if you need to ask, don't buy it until you have a reason to use it.

I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more street and family outings given the smaller size of the X-T3. However, I look a lot of landscape pics on vacation (which is where I wished I had a wider lens).

Composing with a wide angle may be challenging. Start by shooting panoramas with the 23 and see where it gets you.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 225

16/1.4 still continues to amaze me. Of course the IQ is outstanding, but then there’s almost-macro capabilities, MF clutch and WR. This means it’s very, very versatile lens. It’s my most used lens with Fuji, and seldom leaves my X-T3.

vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,322

Everyone has his own kind of photography, if you find yourself limited by the narrow 23mm then take a 16 or 18mm.

Me too I heard tons of people saying 23mm is the perfect angle and I had the 23mm f2 for nearly 2 years but I often found myself limited by it, specially for buidings, indoors like museum or churches...I swapped with a 16 f1.4 and I don't regret a bit.

Perhaps 70% of people will find 23mm perfect and 16 too wide, but I found out I was in the 30% of people who are more happy with a 16

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,590
Re: Yes! Go for it

vegetaleb wrote:

gordonkim wrote:

Thanks.

I had the same feeling when I used to have the 23mm f2, I was wishing I had a wider lens in many occasions when in touristic places, I sold my 23mm and got the 16 f1.4, I don't regret at all.

It's wide enough when you need it, and with the actual 24/26mp sensors you can crop if you find it too wide in some photos

I find the assumption that you can crop the 16 to achieve something like the 23mm to be mythology. One is generally standing closer and framing differently with the 16, which yields perspective distortions that may or may not be desirable. Cropping will get you something like the 23 only if you frame and shoot identically from the same spot with the 16, which those who know how to shoot with both FL generally would not be. I own the 14, 23, 27, 35, 50, 56, 60, and 80. Among these primes, the 23 f1.4 is by far my most used lens. When I want wider, I often go to either the 16-55 or the 15-45, both of which are excellent at 15-16mm.

My recommendation would be to hold on to the 23 and buy the 14, which is much smaller than the 16.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Pan50 Regular Member • Posts: 444

23mm and 16mm are very different focal lengths, so yes it makes sense to have both lenses in your bag. Having said that, I tend to shoot 23mm when I travel and a 23mm or 27mm lens is on my travel camera 90% of the time. I’ve never had a reason to go wider than 23.

Pan50's gear list:Pan50's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,653

Hi,

I have both and often carry both.  They are different enough to make it work for me.  I carry the 16, 23, 35 and 60 hiking for landscape and nature.  And occasionally a longer zoom or telephoto prime.  And I use the 23 and 60 more than the other two.

To me the step between 16 and 23 is quite large in terms of the change in perspective.  Though the 23mm is a modest WA lens, the perspective is a lot more natural.  The 16mm 'gets more in' but at a price.  It's the first WA lens that seems to me to noticeably exaggerate the foreground and diminish background elevation and detail.  I use it but prefer a more natural look - but that's just me.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Victoria Marshall Regular Member • Posts: 434

Asking anonymous people on a forum about which lens to get can be a big mistake. For the simple reason, they're not you.

I could harp on about how my 16/1.4 is the greatest lens ever (I really, really like mine!) but that's me, not you.

What you end up with, is a bunch of yes, and no answers, and a few other recommendations for things you didn't even ask about!

Sounds like that's how you ended up with the 23 -which you seem regretful about.

Rent one. If you can't do that, do more research. You'll eventually figure it out.

Victoria Marshall's gear list:Victoria Marshall's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 222

EMV wrote:

For me 16mm is much more difficult to shoot with than 23mm, it is to wide for a lot of everyday stuff. Sure it works well for landscape, but 23mm is fine for landscape aswell.

16mm is much more of a nisch lens than 23mm.

I don’t think you’re wrong, though I tend to disagree if that makes any sense.

I find that the 16 1.4 makes me think about composition totally differently. Not so much a landscape lens, though it certainly works well for that, but a lens which causes you to really layer your compositions, with a foreground, middle ground, and background. It tends to make me pick subjects and compositions which go from close detail to blurred background. I find my photos are far more interesting with the 16 than the 23.

I use the 35 and 16 1.4 all the time, and am thinking of selling my 23 f2. I almost never use it. Maybe I’d use the 1.4 much more, not sure.

So yeah maybe the 16 is more challenging but it’s also far more rewarding. It pushes me to more interesting perspectives.

Probably my favorite lens.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
EMV Regular Member • Posts: 400

Well this is pretty much what I meant. 16mm is a nisch lens you need interesting settings and good composition to make a good photo. When you got that, the results can be great.

but as an allrounder it is not so good imo. I wouldn’t shoot people with it if they werent far away.

EMV's gear list:EMV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
OP gordonkim Forum Member • Posts: 97

Victoria Marshall wrote:

Asking anonymous people on a forum about which lens to get can be a big mistake. For the simple reason, they're not you.

I could harp on about how my 16/1.4 is the greatest lens ever (I really, really like mine!) but that's me, not you.

What you end up with, is a bunch of yes, and no answers, and a few other recommendations for things you didn't even ask about!

Sounds like that's how you ended up with the 23 -which you seem regretful about.

Rent one. If you can't do that, do more research. You'll eventually figure it out.

Your assessment is bang on and in the future I may just ask people's thoughts on a particular lens vs comparing different lenses or focal lengths.  The intended question was to determine whether I would I get more utility with a 16 vs. 23.

On my recent trip, there were incidents where I wished I had the 16. Most of the time, I was ok with the 23.

I'm not new to photography but new to Fuji.  I just want to make sure I don't end up with lenses that just sit on the shelf.  The information I'm able to gather here is very good and practical which is invaluable for me and if I have to take a haircut trading in my 23 to get the 16, I want to be certain.

gordonkim's gear list:gordonkim's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
allenhousephoto Regular Member • Posts: 100

I own both lenses and enjoy them both! With that said, I use the 23mm probably 10x more often than the 16mm.

gordonkim wrote:

Question - does it make sense to get the 16 if one already owns the 23?

They are different enough that having both makes sense if you want the 16.

Will I get more utility with the 16 vs. the 23?

I doubt it, especially for street and family outings.

I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more street and family outings given the smaller size of the X-T3. However, I look a lot of landscape pics on vacation (which is where I wished I had a wider lens).

The 16 is better than the 23 when you want to go wider. If it's landscape you're after, the 10-24, 8-16, 12, or 14 are probably better. With that said, I do use the 16 for landscape shots but I don't do that much of it.

16mm (24 ff equiv) is a really fun perspective. It's as wide as I would want to go for people pictures, and even at this FL, things are getting distorted. Background becomes a real component of the pictures so it's not good for isolating a single subject on it's own -- the environment needs to be a component. It's fun because you have to really consider the composition and you can make interesting perspectives.

If you want to take pictures of people, you have to get quite close. I think it would be awkward to take a picture of a stranger where they fill the frame because of how close you'd have to get.

Here are the kinds of family pictures I take on the 16:

Notice how distorted their arms and legs are.

allenhousephoto's gear list:allenhousephoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 222

EMV wrote:

Well this is pretty much what I meant. 16mm is a nisch lens you need interesting settings and good composition to make a good photo. When you got that, the results can be great.

but as an allrounder it is not so good imo. I wouldn’t shoot people with it if they werent far away.

Would only disagree that it’s a niche lens. I find it hugely versatile. YMMV, and obviously does!

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,452

surfoxy wrote:

EMV wrote:

Would only disagree that it’s a niche lens. I find it hugely versatile. YMMV, and obviously does!

I think it would be fair to say that it can serve a niche function in addition to its wider use.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads