NX500+18-200mm

Started Jul 22, 2019 | Discussions
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

My kids train basketball and I stand next to the field so I use 16-50 a lot (even the wide end as they run 2m from me). For soccer I would use that excellent (so I hear, haven't had the chance to play with it) 50-150. I shot just one soccer game, from the stands, with 50-200 and I was pleased with the results (covered just one end). I think your lens on NX1 would do even better. 28MP leaves a lot of room for cropping (you essentially have a 16MP m43 sensor in the middle crop

Honestly I would mount NX1 and 50-150 and take NX500 with 16-50S just in case.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,278
Re: NX500+18-200mm

otto k wrote:

What about 4k on NX500,have you shot it and if yes, what was the quality like? If it's at least decent I might try to find one for that use.

No, I haven't. I tend to use smaller lenses with the NX500 (PZ, pancakes, primes).

If I am going to use a bigger lens, I prefer one of my NX.

I believe the 16-50PZ and the 50-200mm combined are performing better, but if you want an 1 lens solution, then it is the only choice anyway! The thing is that I love shooting 24-26mm (16-17 in APS-C), so I do not particularly like zooms from 18mm. I own the 18-135 EF-S, only because I use it with Canon C cameras for video, which is a good run n gun lens, and the fastest focusing and silent EF(-S) lens (together with the 70-300). I also have an 70-200mm 4f for longer reach, and because every pro has to own a white lens, but usually I am missing something when I shoot 18mm in APS-C..

For the same reason, I am ordering the 12-100mm Olympus, for use with m43 cameras (GH5/Pocket4K/JVC LS300/e.t.c). It is only a 4f (in m43 that is not great..), but the 24mm-200mm range is liberating, especially for documentaries, run n gun and live TV. Great focus mechanism too.

Right now I have a photo backpack with me and I have. NX1+45mm NX1+16-50S NX500+PZ and NX3000+fish eye. Just a random selection, but shows what I most use.

If I was going for a more remote place with the family, maybe an NX1 with the 18-200mm or the NX500 with the PZ. I seriously prefer the 2mm at the wider end, than the 150mm at the tele end!!

For soccer/football, the 18-200 is your only choice if you are near the field - on a big field, or just the 50-200mm if you are further away or at the stands.

Because I live in Greece, there are occassions I shoot run n gun in boats. Then the 18-200mm is so convenient (do not have to worry much about the sea water on my more expensive lenses or have to change lenses, e.t.c).

TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 352
Re: NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

otto k wrote:

My kids train basketball and I stand next to the field so I use 16-50 a lot (even the wide end as they run 2m from me). For soccer I would use that excellent (so I hear, haven't had the chance to play with it) 50-150. I shot just one soccer game, from the stands, with 50-200 and I was pleased with the results (covered just one end). I think your lens on NX1 would do even better. 28MP leaves a lot of room for cropping (you essentially have a 16MP m43 sensor in the middle crop

Honestly I would mount NX1 and 50-150 and take NX500 with 16-50S just in case.

Great Idea: Didn't think about NX500 w 16-50S to Video Sideline action e.g. half-time/coach-w-players, players waiting to get in game, etc. (with my strong Photo tripod.

...experiment attaching Mic to real-time soccer player (might prove interesting).

Physically located anywhere on field (not stands), just 15 feet out-of bounds offers many advantages. Regardless if 200mm or 150mm, IMO, whole field not an option.

-- hide signature --

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
TuVuVu

Massao wrote:

No PP; only cropping.

Just purchased Samsung 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 ED OIS I Function Lens
[Black - With Caps and Hood - Excellent] $340. USD

Purchased from KEA.Com (probably my 10th purchase, each received 100% as advertised.

Planning to use on NX1 / Video.

Very Best Regards, and thank you again to all that contributed to this thread,
TuVuVu

-- hide signature --

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,077

TuVuVu wrote:

Massao wrote:

No PP; only cropping.

Purchased from KEA.Com (probably my 10th purchase, each received 100% as advertised.

TuVuVu

Enjoy the lens! One of my favourites!

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
mnewxcv Forum Member • Posts: 82

TuVuVu wrote:

Massao wrote:

No PP; only cropping.

TuVuVu

I knew I should have bought it when I saw it last night!

mnewxcv's gear list:mnewxcv's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 Samsung NX1 Samyang 10mm F2.8 Samyang 35mm F1.4 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 +1 more
Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

What am I missing? I`m trying to understand why everyone feels it`s such a good lens? I see very little detail in the feathers, texture, etc. Certainly not  very sharp at 200mm.

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-A5

Veducci wrote:

What am I missing? I`m trying to understand why everyone feels it`s such a good lens? I see very little detail in the feathers, texture, etc. Certainly not very sharp at 200mm.

It's true that the lens won't win any awards for sharpness, especially at that FL.

But the main advantage of it is the versatility, 18-200mm means it can be used almost anywhere. It's also got great stabilisation and autofocus and most importantly silent autofocus, which makes it a brilliant video lens - at 4k it performs excellently.

Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

markyboy81 wrote:

Veducci wrote:

What am I missing? I`m trying to understand why everyone feels it`s such a good lens? I see very little detail in the feathers, texture, etc. Certainly not very sharp at 200mm.

It's true that the lens won't win any awards for sharpness, especially at that FL.

But the main advantage of it is the versatility, 18-200mm means it can be used almost anywhere. It's also got great stabilisation and autofocus and most importantly silent autofocus, which makes it a brilliant video lens - at 4k it performs excellently.

OK,  I`ll buy that answer especially seeing how I misread the 18mm wide end.

My apologies . Got to get new glasses!

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-A5

Veducci wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

Veducci wrote:

OK, I`ll buy that answer especially seeing how I misread the 18mm wide end.

My apologies . Got to get new glasses!

No worries! I read some negative reviews before I got hold of my copy, but to be honest I don't think it's that bad - in fact I'm pretty impressed. Maybe my eyes need testing though!

TuVuVu

markyboy81 wrote:

Veducci wrote:

Hello Veducci,

"
(From Samsung lens literature) Samsung 18-200mm multi-purpose Long Zoom Lens. This model features modes that are optimized for creating high-quality movie content with a single lens. The new long zoom lens also has a fast, silent Auto-Focus due to Samsung's use of Voice Coil Motor (VCM) technology, so users can capture important events without recording the sound of the camera's AF. The lens also features Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to cancel out any hand movement and deliver crisp, clear images, even when a subject is far away. Compatible with Samsung's unique i-Function system, which helps users create powerful effects easily through quick and convenient controls.
"

Samsung built/marketed the 18-200 as a Video lens and for me, it was a no-brainer when KEA.Com's listing parameters were:
"Black - With Caps and Hood - Excellent] $340. USD"

Suggest comparing the above price/quality online.

FWIW: KEA currently running 10% off cameras/lenses, 20% off accessories ending today.
Price (above) includes 10% off but regardless of 10%, asking price was so inexpensive I bought asap. KEA has other very low priced Samsung lenses but already own them.

When my lens arrives, I'll evaluate it's above listing parameters, test all work flawlessly. If not "Excellent", simply contact KEA and return. Great company, purchased a lot from them.

Very Best Regards,
TuVuVu

-- hide signature --

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,550

TuVuVu wrote:

Massao wrote:

No PP; only cropping.

TuVuVu

Congrats and all the best:-)

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads