NX500+18-200mm

Started Jul 22, 2019 | Discussions
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
NX500+18-200mm
6

No PP; only cropping.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: NX500+18-200mm
1

This is surprisingly good. Thank you for posting.

 otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: NX500+18-200mm

Thank you for posting!

Samsung marketed the 18-200mm for Video.

Why is this a 'Video' Lens, and where within it's specs it's performs best for Video (prefer discussion 'Focus' on Video only).

Any Video experience using the 18-200mm would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Very Best Regards: Tu Vu

-- hide signature --

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

 TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm

otto k wrote:

This is surprisingly good. Thank you for posting.

Yes, I thought so too. This is a heavily cropped picture which shows that it is not the kind of cheap quality we usually see in 18-200mm/28-200mm lenses.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm

TuVuVu wrote:

Thank you for posting!

Samsung marketed the 18-200mm for Video.

Why is this a 'Video' Lens, and where within it's specs it's performs best for Video (prefer discussion 'Focus' on Video only).

Any Video experience using the 18-200mm would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Very Best Regards: Tu Vu

I've used this lens a lot for videos and that was the purpose of buying it in the first place. AF is nearly silent and quite fast. AF shift with Samsung's VCM technology is similar to Canon's STM, or Sony's SSM.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: NX500+18-200mm

Massao wrote:

TuVuVu wrote:

Thank you for posting!

Samsung marketed the 18-200mm for Video.

Why is this a 'Video' Lens, and where within it's specs it's performs best for Video (prefer discussion 'Focus' on Video only).

Any Video experience using the 18-200mm would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Very Best Regards: Tu Vu

I've used this lens a lot for videos and that was the purpose of buying it in the first place. AF is nearly silent and quite fast. AF shift with Samsung's VCM technology is similar to Canon's STM, or Sony's SSM.

Any experience using the 18-200mm to Video Outdoor Daytime Action Sports, such as Soccer?

-- hide signature --

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

 TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: NX500+18-200mm
1

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this lens has terrible borders from 100mm onwards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

 otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm

TuVuVu wrote:

Massao wrote:

TuVuVu wrote:

Thank you for posting!

Samsung marketed the 18-200mm for Video.

Why is this a 'Video' Lens, and where within it's specs it's performs best for Video (prefer discussion 'Focus' on Video only).

Any Video experience using the 18-200mm would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

Very Best Regards: Tu Vu

I've used this lens a lot for videos and that was the purpose of buying it in the first place. AF is nearly silent and quite fast. AF shift with Samsung's VCM technology is similar to Canon's STM, or Sony's SSM.

Any experience using the 18-200mm to Video Outdoor Daytime Action Sports, such as Soccer?

Unfortunately, no.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194
Re: NX500+18-200mm

Great shot. I also have this lens and love it!

More interestingly though, I also owned the Sony dsc-w5 (it's been handed down to my dad now,still fully working). What a great camera that was though!

 markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm
1

markyboy81 wrote:

..I also owned the Sony dsc-w5 (it's been handed down to my dad now,still fully working). What a great camera that was though!

Indeed. I used that camera a lot. Even made some University video projects from that camera, and they worked out fine by the standards of that time

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: NX500+18-200mm
1

otto k wrote:

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this lens has terrible borders from 100mm onwards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

I agree with all the above. I use it only for holidays (1 lens solution) or when I do not want to use a better lens (when filming on boats, in the sand, e.t.c)

Touch AF works better than the S in my experience.

otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: NX500+18-200mm

What about 4k on NX500,have you shot it and if yes, what was the quality like? If it's at least decent I might try to find one for that use.

 otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194
Re: NX500+18-200mm

otto k wrote:

What about 4k on NX500,have you shot it and if yes, what was the quality like? If it's at least decent I might try to find one for that use.

In general how do you rate 4k on the nx500 with the crop? For some reason I only ever tend to shoot 1080p with that camera as the footage I shot at 4k didn't impress me much.

 markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: NX500+18-200mm
2

I used it quite a lot for stage plays with 45mm that framed the stage nicely from my position (tripod). I would then down sample to 1080 but with zoom and pan, up to 3x. This enabled me to enjoy the show and still produce a video for other parents. IMHO it held up nicely with 3x zoom (essentially 720p upscaled to 1080) compared to 1080 from my Canon APS-C DSLR.

FWIW, nobody actually wanted 4k

 otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm

otto k wrote:

What about 4k on NX500,have you shot it and if yes, what was the quality like? If it's at least decent I might try to find one for that use.

Yes, I've shot it. Its excellent quality

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX500+18-200mm
1

markyboy81 wrote:

otto k wrote:

What about 4k on NX500,have you shot it and if yes, what was the quality like? If it's at least decent I might try to find one for that use.

In general how do you rate 4k on the nx500 with the crop? For some reason I only ever tend to shoot 1080p with that camera as the footage I shot at 4k didn't impress me much.

In my experience the quality is excellent. It is one of the "big" reasons I still keep NX gear--the other being NX's excellent lenses and 28MP sensor on NX500 :-). I mostly use 4k outdoors, where it is very helpful with the crop. I have the 12-24mm lens also, in case I need to use 4k indoors.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 358
NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

Kisaha wrote:

otto k wrote:

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this lens has terrible borders from 100mm onwards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

I agree with all the above. I use it only for holidays (1 lens solution) or when I do not want to use a better lens (when filming on boats, in the sand, e.t.c)

Touch AF works better than the S in my experience.

My Video Use-Case:
1. Outdoor Daytime Action Sports
2. Youth Soccer, LAX: I'm team's volunteer photo / video
3. I'm physically on field, anywhere that's 15 feet out of bounds

Q: Which Lens
(1) 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 ED OIS
(2) 50-150mm f/2.8 S ED OIS
(3) other
Very Best Regards
Tu Vu

-- hide signature --

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

 TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194
Re: NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

TuVuVu wrote:

Kisaha wrote:

otto k wrote:

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this lens has terrible borders from 100mm onwards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

I agree with all the above. I use it only for holidays (1 lens solution) or when I do not want to use a better lens (when filming on boats, in the sand, e.t.c)

Touch AF works better than the S in my experience.

My Video Use-Case:
1. Outdoor Daytime Action Sports
2. Youth Soccer, LAX: I'm team's volunteer photo / video
3. I'm physically on field, anywhere that's 15 feet out of bounds

Q: Which Lens
(1) 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 ED OIS
(2) 50-150mm f/2.8 S ED OIS
(3) other
Very Best Regards
Tu Vu

18-200mm would be more flexible and easier to carry. 50-150mm is a bit of a beast.

 markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
OP Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

TuVuVu wrote:

Kisaha wrote:

otto k wrote:

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this lens has terrible borders from 100mm onwards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

I agree with all the above. I use it only for holidays (1 lens solution) or when I do not want to use a better lens (when filming on boats, in the sand, e.t.c)

Touch AF works better than the S in my experience.

My Video Use-Case:
1. Outdoor Daytime Action Sports
2. Youth Soccer, LAX: I'm team's volunteer photo / video
3. I'm physically on field, anywhere that's 15 feet out of bounds

Q: Which Lens
(1) 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 ED OIS
(2) 50-150mm f/2.8 S ED OIS
(3) other
Very Best Regards
Tu Vu

There are three arguments in favour of 18-200mm:

a) lighter in weight.

b) wider zoom range.

c) VCM AF technology, which is very smooth in videos just like SSM/VC/STM/AF-P, etc.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

 Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: NX1: 18-200mm or 50-150mm f/2.8 S

Kisaha wrote:

otto k wrote:

There is obviously a lot of sample variation as with any consumer lens, so take this with a grain of salt. Beware that this (18-200mm) lens has terrible borders from 100mm on-wards. This one seems much better than the one I considered buying but declined after testing. That one was quite soft at 200mm even in the center and stopping down helped just a bit. Borders at 200mm were non-existent (completely blurry) to be honest, best at f/8 and acceptable (barely) halfway from the center. Up until ~70mm it was very good but I already had that covered.

OIS is much better than either 16-50pz or 50-200, fantastic even, and the AF was instant and quiet (like 45). Coupled with modest video resolution at the time (1080p) it was great for video when it came out. Might be great on NX500 in 4k due to crop too?

I agree with all the above. I use it only for holidays (1 lens solution) or when I do not want to use a better lens (when filming on boats, in the sand, e.t.c)
Touch AF works better than the S in my experience.

markyboy81 wrote:
18-200mm would be more flexible and easier to carry. 50-150mm is a bit of a beast.

Massao wrote:
There are three arguments in favor of 18-200mm:
a) lighter in weight.
b) wider zoom range.
c) VCM AF technology, which is very smooth in videos just like SSM/VC/STM/AF-P, etc.

Humble apologies for persisting this sub-thread (really); it's personally important (Kasha and Otto: your your extensive expertise...thank you).
I own NX500, NX1, and 50-150mm f/2.8 S ED OIS, and Video Tripod w Video Head (meaning weight of gear from car to field insignificant.

1. Outdoor Daytime Action Sports
2. Youth Soccer, LAX: I'm team's volunteer photo / video
3. I'm physically on field, anywhere that's 15 feet out of bounds

Q: Which Lens
(1) 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 ED OIS
(2) 50-150mm f/2.8 S ED OIS
(3) other

My interpretation of comments based on 18-200mm marketed as VIDEO LENS:
1. Kasha's and Massao's: 18-200's VCM AF has faster AF (good!)
2. Otto: 18-200mm's extra reach is poor (useless is really how I interpreted it, sorry if misinterpreted)

Also not mentioned: I own: 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS.

Please correct, disagree, yell: Use NX1 (non cropping 4K) with 50-150mm f/2.8 S. If needed, pull JPEGs from Video when unable to nail good Photograph(s).
Q: Higher quality Video JPEGs from non cropping 4K? True, False, other?

FWIW: Own Benro Video Tripod with S6 Head (bought on sale $175-usd for Lightweight Video Strength Travel Tripod when backpacking; knew in advance S6 Head not good for action video). If Interested:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354816-REG/benro_a373tbs6_kit_with_a373t.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354816-REG/benro_a373tbs6_kit_with_a373t.html/specs

Very Best Regards, and VERY much appreciated,
Tu Vu
--
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

 TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads