Deleting orphaned raw files

Started 2 months ago | Questions
woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 181
Deleting orphaned raw files

I had a disappointing trip to an airshow on Saturday, mostly low grey cloud, very little no sun or blue sky.

As a result I have a large folder of Raw + Jpeg,  mostly of dull grey planes against a dull grey sky.  Some are keepers but not many.

So, review the JPEGS, pick the keepers/ones worth working in detail on and delete the rest.

Thus left with a folder with a few JPEGS, and many orphaned RAW I don't want.

How to simply delete the orphaned raw??

Seems to have been a topic around 6 years ago, not anything since.  some people wrote some programming to do it, but these seem to be batch files which require a higher level of competence than I have.   There was a 2013 program called photoutility aimed  precisely at the issue, but I have spent several hours struggling and cannot get it to work for me.

Is there something very simple out there that just looks to see if the raws have a matching JPEG, and deleted them if not?

woodturner's gear list:woodturner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +7 more
ANSWER:
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,280
Re: Deleting orphaned raw files

I'm not aware of a program that will do this. I shoot only raw and the selection & culling is easy.

Cheers,
Doug

onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,563

A batch file probably wouldn't be too difficult to make, and it's as easy as pie to run it, all you have to do is double-click it.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro FastStone Photo Resizer +3 more
WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,043

woodturner wrote:

I had a disappointing trip to an airshow on Saturday, mostly low grey cloud, very little no sun or blue sky.

As a result I have a large folder of Raw + Jpeg, mostly of dull grey planes against a dull grey sky. Some are keepers but not many.

So, review the JPEGS, pick the keepers/ones worth working in detail on and delete the rest.

Seems to have been a topic around 6 years ago, not anything since. some people wrote some programming to do it, but these seem to be batch files which require a higher level of competence than I have. There was a 2013 program called photoutility aimed precisely at the issue, but I have spent several hours struggling and cannot get it to work for me.

Is there something very simple out there that just looks to see if the raws have a matching JPEG, and deleted them if not?

Since there aren't many keepers, it should be a breeze to move both JPEG and matching RAW to a new folder and then delete the rest.

I'd guess that it might take you "several minutes". 

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
OP woodturner Regular Member • Posts: 181

I am thinking for the long term here...   i would just like to automate the boring stuff.  I have done it manually for years, but there must be a better way.

Just upgraded my server by 4Tb,  Trip to Majorca soon.  Also then South Africa, Islands in the Indian Ocean, then Australia later in the year.

So in the long term it might be more than a few to delete.  

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +7 more
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,966
Re: orphaned raw files ???

I should just keep my mouth shut, please forgive me ... but even so... if the .jpegs come from the raw files... then how can the raw files be « orphans » ?

The jpegs could be orphans, if their parents disappeared, but if the raw files give birth to the jpegs ... ???

You see my question ?

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more

dmartin92 wrote:

I should just keep my mouth shut, please forgive me ... but even so... if the .jpegs come from the raw files... then how can the raw files be « orphans » ?

The jpegs could be orphans, if their parents disappeared, but if the raw files give birth to the jpegs ... ???

You see my question ?

Sounds like you shooting raw + jpg in the camera, so 2 separate files are being produced. When you view a raw file without converting it, you're usually looking at the jpg that is impeded in the raw file. The separate jpg file in most cases is redundant, unless you need a separate jpg for some reason - no time to do the raw conversion, don't want to convert as the OOC jpg is good enough, etc.

Cheers,
Doug

dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,966

Okay, fair enough. I see. Thanks.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
drynn Regular Member • Posts: 382

woodturner wrote:

As a result I have a large folder of Raw + Jpeg, mostly of dull grey planes against a dull grey sky. Some are keepers but not many.

Seems to have been a topic around 6 years ago, not anything since. some people wrote some programming to do it, but these seem to be batch files which require a higher level of competence than I have. There was a 2013 program called photoutility aimed precisely at the issue, but I have spent several hours struggling and cannot get it to work for me.

When I shoot jpeg and RAW they have the same file name and only the file extension is different. How I do this is:-

- jpegs and RAWs in the same folder;

- look at the folder in Detail view;

- sort by Name then by Date;

All the files will be in chronological order with each jpeg being next to its corresponding RAW. It is easy to see a sequential batch of RAWs with no jpeg, and all you do is select that batch and press delete. (Unless I am missing something or not understanding)

This is on a Windows PC.

My camera saves a RAW and JPEG of each image at the time of taking, so actually they are better described as twins I guess.

I then scan through the JPEGS (faster loading and displaying) choosing which ones to keep, work on or delete.  So I have then deleted one of the twins, leaving the other RAW twin.

I just copied the phrase "orphan" as I saw previously it had been used to describe this situation.

I'm not actually sure of the term for a surviving twin.  

cheers,

eric

yes, that's what I have been doing,  but is a bit o a waste of time.  I have found a batch file someone wrote that deletes all the unwanted RAWs at one go and is very fast.   Couple of seconds. But it is kinda scary as it just does it, you can't see beforehand  which ones will go.  lists them afterwards, once they are gone.  Also there is no way back.  Seems to work testing it this afternoon though.

I was hoping for something simple, with a GUI so I can see what it is going to do, and preferably free as I am a cheapskate.

Cheers,

Chris

onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,563

woodturner wrote:

I have found a batch file someone wrote that deletes all the unwanted RAWs at one go and is very fast. Couple of seconds. But it is kinda scary as it just does it, you can't see beforehand which ones will go. lists them afterwards, once they are gone. Also there is no way back. Seems to work testing it this afternoon though.

You could have the batch file move the raw files to a temporary folder, that you can inspect before deleting the entire folder manually.

Makes the process easier, with less risk.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro FastStone Photo Resizer +3 more

sounds good.

I can work out needed logic, but.......

only problem is the last real programming from scratch I did was for a computer that had its own building, and needed to be fed with FORTRAN on punch cards.

woodturner wrote:

sounds good.

I can work out needed logic, but.......

only problem is the last real programming from scratch I did was for a computer that had its own building, and needed to be fed with FORTRAN on punch cards.

FORTRAN IV, I remember it well, hated the punch cards....

Cheers,
Doug

WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,043

woodturner wrote:

I am thinking for the long term here... i would just like to automate the boring stuff. I have done it manually for years, but there must be a better way.

Just upgraded my server by 4Tb, Trip to Majorca soon. Also then South Africa, Islands in the Indian Ocean, then Australia later in the year.

So in the long term it might be more than a few to delete.

Since you have recently upgraded your hardware, it may be a good idea to reassess your "workflow". I'd be reluctant to delete a bunch of RAW files based on initial JPEG previews.

Maybe you could use the JPEG files for previews while travelling, but only save the RAW files on the server, eventually deleting the JPEGs, as these could easily be reproduced by processing from RAW.

What processing software do you use? Some graphics programs allow you to rate your images for archiving and deleting too.

When travelling, I like to preview the JPEGs for emailing and display to other travellers, keeping any processing until I return to base. If I also capture RAW files, these are also processed at my leisure. I have 2Tb of storage, so I don't need to delete files in bulk.

You will enjoy Australia. I've just returned from a trip to the remote Kimberley region. "Proper" cameras were a rarity in our tour group, and the only other DSLR was wielded by a guy with limited knowledge. Even the "group photo" was courtesy of an iPhone and that was only available to those who could link to that.

I saved JPEG + RAW and will enjoy the follow-up processing.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,000

You can use Photo Mechanic to cull photos. In PM there is an option to toggle raw+jpeg. With raw+jpeg selected all the raw and jpeg pairs are stacked so they appear as 1 photo. As you review the photos (1 from each stack), you select keepers and rejects. When you delete all the rejects, the raw and jpegs are deleted.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,697
Re: Photo Mechanic, Darktable

BillyBobSenna wrote:

You can use Photo Mechanic to cull photos. In PM there is an option to toggle raw+jpeg. With raw+jpeg selected all the raw and jpeg pairs are stacked so they appear as 1 photo. As you review the photos (1 from each stack), you select keepers and rejects. When you delete all the rejects, the raw and jpegs are deleted.

That is probably a better solution that what I was going to suggest.

Darktable can "group" Raw + JPEG files, then you can use a Lua script to delete both.

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/90153/is-there-a-way-to-delete-grouped-images-in-darktable

Personally I like to shoot JPEG + Raw because oftentimes the out-of-camera looks better than the Raw conversion at first, but the Raw conversion can be improved to be better.

Nice pics!

In general when travelling I use the camera JPEGS as a source to share and quick review with Fastone on a small tablet.

When home I take the RAW into DxO after geotagging and generate JPEGS from there that get saved in one storage area which has all the photos from way back when 5mp you could only dream of.    (I rank them in DXO).  The RAWs  and DxO .dop configuration files get saved in separate storage on a different machine, so I can regenerate if necessary..  The camera Jpegs tend to get dumped anyway.

What triggered my question was this airshow, with my usual number of badly framed shots of 1/2 a aircraft, grey skies with nothing visible except a very distant plane, blurry pics of smoke etc., but as I shot a lot in high speed I generated multiple shots from a single flyby.  If I was lucky with a patch of light striking the plane possibly one or two images out of each flyby are clearly keepers, the approach and departing shots are poor by comparison.

So the % keepers is unusually low, coupled with a high number of images, got me to look for an automated solution.

Our trip that ends in Australia will be a long one, so I am trying to get process and tools sorted well in advance.   I expect to take a lot of photos, so even at my normal keeper rate there would be a fair amount of junk to delete. I usually just look through in file explorer for orphans and manually delete.  Bit boring though.

Cheers,

Eric

I saw a PhD student cry when he dropped his programme (that filled a whole box) down the stairs.

Same student had stored 3 years worth of printer output (finite element modelling) in the corner of his room.  It had to be moved quick as the weight started bowing the floor and cracking the brickwork.....

Cue comments on "they don't know their born these days"

cheers,

Eric

That sounds a good solution, I will have a look!

Thanks,

Eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads