Would I be satisfied with an FZ1000's IQ vs my RX100?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890
Would I be satisfied with an FZ1000's IQ vs my RX100?

Morning,

I'm seriously thinking about buying an FZ1000 to compliment my RX100i. But I don't want a camera with IQ any worse than my RX100i. I know many of you had/have the FZ1000 and many have upgraded to the RX10IV as well. I think its pretty well established that the RX10IV has better IQ than the FZ1000 (as well as many other improvements), but I've also read many comments that the FZ1000 produces similar IQ in many circumstances, and I don't pixel peep, shoot in low light often or shoot video.

I'm considering the RX10IV also, but the size and cost has relegated that camera to 2nd choice at this point. I'm quite well versed on the advantages of the RX10IV and its capabilities, just really interested in your thoughts on FZ1000 IQ and how it compares to my RX100i, which from all I've read here and elsewhere, is quite similar in decent light to all other RX100 models.

I primarily view my images on my new 27"iMac.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe
MOD Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
Re: Would I be satisfied with an FZ1000's IQ vs my RX100?

The fz1000 is a great budget option. Iq is more than good enough even in lowlight.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a5000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

Labe wrote:

The fz1000 is a great budget option. Iq is more than good enough even in lowlight.

Labe,

Nice images and quite sharp.  Thanks for responding.  May I assume they were originally jpegs?

Den

Labe

Yes they where as I don’t shoot raw with the fz1000. The bee shot is actually a 4K photo using the 4K photo mode ( 30fps @1/1000 8mp)

-- hide signature --

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,625

If you’re not doing birds in flight then you should be quite pleased with the fz1000

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Labe
a few more....

images here. Some will be touched up but all started as jpegs as like I sad I don’t shoot raw

https://www.flickr.com/photos/p-labe/albums/72157660664689741/page1/

-- hide signature --

sherman_levine wrote:

If you’re not doing birds in flight then you should be quite pleased with the fz1000

Thanks Sherm,

I don't think I have a great desire to capture birds in flight.  Stationary birds, flowers, insects are more my interests using the zoom with hopefully decent looking bokeh.

Hope you are well, haven't seen you here much recently,

Best,

Den

Re: a few more....

Labe wrote:

images here. Some will be touched up but all started as jpegs as like I sad I don’t shoot raw

Labe,

Thanks so much, I even think our shooting interests are similar.  Are some of the insect images the 4K grabs?  I think they look excellent.

Den

Labe
Re: a few more....

snappyden wrote:

Labe wrote:

Labe,

Thanks so much, I even think our shooting interests are similar. Are some of the insect images the 4K grabs? I think they look excellent.

Den

Yes the ones with insects in flight are 4K photo mode images.

-- hide signature --

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,625

snappyden wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Thanks Sherm,

I don't think I have a great desire to capture birds in flight. Stationary birds, flowers, insects are more my interests using the zoom with hopefully decent looking bokeh.

Best,

Den

Den,

Thank you. Life is good.  I feel the need for a new camera, and keep waiting for the FZ1000's longer cousin to be announced, or even the RX10v.

All my Flickr pictures in the past few years except for the P900 ones are taken with FZ1000 (They're the ones where the filename starts with a P in case that's useful)

Sherm

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000

sherman_levine wrote:

snappyden wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Thanks Sherm,

I don't think I have a great desire to capture birds in flight. Stationary birds, flowers, insects are more my interests using the zoom with hopefully decent looking bokeh.

Best,

Den

Den,

Thank you. Life is good. I feel the need for a new camera, and keep waiting for the FZ1000's longer cousin to be announced, or even the RX10v.

All my Flickr pictures in the past few years except for the P900 ones are taken with FZ1000 (They're the ones where the filename starts with a P in case that's useful)

Sherm

Merci Sherm.

Den

Offside Senior Member • Posts: 5,875
Re: Get the RX10 IV

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

I'm seriously thinking about buying an FZ1000 to compliment my RX100i. But I don't want a camera with IQ any worse than my RX100i. I know many of you had/have the FZ1000 and many have upgraded to the RX10IV as well. I think its pretty well established that the RX10IV has better IQ than the FZ1000 (as well as many other improvements), but I've also read many comments that the FZ1000 produces similar IQ in many circumstances, and I don't pixel peep, shoot in low light often or shoot video.

I'm considering the RX10IV also, but the size and cost has relegated that camera to 2nd choice at this point. I'm quite well versed on the advantages of the RX10IV and its capabilities, just really interested in your thoughts on FZ1000 IQ and how it compares to my RX100i, which from all I've read here and elsewhere, is quite similar in decent light to all other RX100 models.

Den

Having both the FZ1000 and RX10 IV, the FZ1000 is a very good camera and a great deal right now.

The RX10 IV is an off-the-chart fantastic camera, but you pay for that.

The FZ1000 minimum focus at 400 mm (FF equivalent) is 39". The RX10 IV minimum focus is 28" at 600 mm (FF equivalent).

A 1" damselfly at 100% viewing will be ~65% larger if taken with the RX10 IV at full zoom compared to the FZ1000 at full zoom.

Today I was taking photos of dragonflies. As I was leaving I saw this robberfly land on some vegetation. I have a custom button for stationary objects. I press the button and took one shot.

Below is the un-cropped version. It has been sharpened and noise reduction.

I am amazed every day I use this camera.

Below is close to a 100% crop.

I took the below dragonfly image today. It has been cropped and slightly rotated. All my in-flight dragonfly shots are taken at 600 mm. The black face is very hard to get totally accurate focus. I may take 100 images of a shot like this but usually only keep a couple. I shoot at 24 fps. The RX10 IV has a buffer of 110 RAW images. The FZ1000 buffer is about 12-15 RAW images.

This is a 100% crop of the above image. This is about as sharp as I can get when shooting head on. I have a couple of images that may be a little more detailed.

Mina J
Mina J Veteran Member • Posts: 3,579

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

Den

The below cite may help in making your decision. I don't know if you have explored it before.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ1000-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100

I took my FZ1000 with me when I went to see Van Morrison at Blenheim Palace. I remember thinking, as I walked around the grounds, how much I liked the weight, because it was a bit lighter than the RX10 I had already purchased.

I later loaned the Pany to my son and his family for their trip to Disney World in Florida and they loved it. When they returned I decided to gift it to them.

Here are a few from the concert with the FZ1000 (all Jpegs). I don't think you will be at all unhappy if you decide to buy the Panasonic FZ1000. I don't know if you considered the FZ1000 2.

One of my favorites

And this one to

Last shot of the day before leaving the beautiful palace

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D300 Nikon D750
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,211
Same IQ

I believe the FZ1000 and the RX100m1 use the same sensor so IQ will be the same. Even my RX10iv IQ is nearly indistinguishable from my RX100m1.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,211

sherman_levine wrote:

snappyden wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Thanks Sherm,

Best,

Den

Den,

Thank you. Life is good. I feel the need for a new camera, and keep waiting for the FZ1000's longer cousin to be announced,

Don't hold your breath because the FZ1000 ii has the same lens.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz1000-ii/panasonic-fz1000-iiA.HTM

The FZ2500 with a 24-480 lens has been out for almost 3 years.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz2500/panasonic-fz2500A.HTM

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more

Mina J wrote:

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

Den

The below cite may help in making your decision. I don't know if you have explored it before.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ1000-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100

I took my FZ1000 with me when I went to see Van Morrison at Blenheim Palace. I remember thinking, as I walked around the grounds, how much I liked the weight, because it was a bit lighter than the RX10 I had already purchased.

I later loaned the Pany to my son and his family for their trip to Disney World in Florida and they loved it. When they returned I decided to gift it to them.

Here are a few from the concert with the FZ1000 (all Jpegs). I don't think you will be at all unhappy if you decide to buy the Panasonic FZ1000. I don't know if you considered the FZ1000 2.

One of my favorites

And this one to

Mina

Mina,

Thanks for the great info and the wonderful images.  Just wondering, what did you get to replace the FZ1000 you gifted to your son and family, an RX10IV or ?  When I got to the Van image, I swear I could hear him blowing on that sax!  What a great shot and I'm jealous of you (as is my wife) that we weren't at that concert too!

We have been fortunate to have seen him several times over the years, with 2 concerts being right here in Santa Cruz in very small venues.

Best,

Den

Mina J
Mina J Veteran Member • Posts: 3,579

snappyden wrote:

Mina J wrote:

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

Den

One of my favorites

And this one to

Mina

Mina,

Thanks for the great info and the wonderful images. Just wondering, what did you get to replace the FZ1000 you gifted to your son and family, an RX10IV or ? When I got to the Van image, I swear I could hear him blowing on that sax! What a great shot and I'm jealous of you (as is my wife) that we weren't at that concert too!

We have been fortunate to have seen him several times over the years, with 2 concerts being right here in Santa Cruz in very small venues.

Best,

Den

Den,

Thank you and glad I could be of heIp and very glad you liked the photos. I'm jealous, I haven't seen Van in Santa Cruz because I know it was fantastic.

I already had the RX10 in 2014 and bought the FZ1000 in 2015. I got such a good deal on the Pany from Costco that I bought it, probably with the intention of eventually giving it to the kids.

After giving the Pany to my son and his wife I kept the RX10 until buying the RX10M3 when it came out. When the RX10M4 came out a few years later I bought it and sold the RX10M3 because the 4 had better focus. I'm good now and no more GAS LOL

I must say as much as I enjoy taking photos with the RX10M4, I wish it felt as light in my hands as the FZ1000 felt.

Don't know if you and your wife have seen "Marianne and Leonard, Words of Love".  But I saw it Friday.  It is a very interesting story about Leonard Cohen (Hallelujah) and his relation with Marianne and his life in general.  It is R rated and I can understand why but I still got a lot out of it.

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D300 Nikon D750
Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Re: Same IQ

tbcass wrote:

I believe the FZ1000 and the RX100m1 use the same sensor so IQ will be the same.

So the very different glass in front of the sensors doesn't impact one way or the other on image quality?

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,535

Horacecoker wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I believe the FZ1000 and the RX100m1 use the same sensor so IQ will be the same.

So the very different glass in front of the sensors doesn't impact one way or the other on image quality?

The sensor also only determines the raw image quality, and many users of compact cameras are not interested in preempting the camera's own JPEG processing (and there are often image modes where this is not possible).  In addition, image quality also depends on things like the quality of autofocus and exposure metering, things that depend on neither glass nor sensor.  And on handling, making sure that the controls and displays make the desired quality readily accessible to the photographer.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,874

Dak on cam wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The sensor also only determines the raw image quality, and many users of compact cameras are not interested in preempting the camera's own JPEG processing (and there are often image modes where this is not possible). In addition, image quality also depends on things like the quality of autofocus and exposure metering, things that depend on neither glass nor sensor. And on handling, making sure that the controls and displays make the desired quality readily accessible to the photographer.

All perfectly true, and in fact, the FZ1000 doesn't even share the RX100M1's sensor either. It has the same BSI sensor as the RX100M2/3 and RX10M1.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads