Shutter Speed Keeps changing when with Bracketing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JP Tudor
JP Tudor New Member • Posts: 8
Shutter Speed Keeps changing when with Bracketing

Am on full manual with my d7200 and am using exposure bracketing with Auto ISO.

On some of my shots the shutter speed goes down a lot for some of the shots from what I set it for my 200-500 handheld. So for example, I'll 1/180 , 1/400 and the like 1/750 instead of just 1/750... What setting do I have wrong so that the shutter speed stays constant? Should I be using slower cont. shooting mode???

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark Carr Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: Shutter Speed Keeps changing when with Bracketing

JP Tudor wrote:

On some of my shots the shutter speed goes down a lot for some of the shots from what I set it for my 200-500 handheld. So for example, I'll 1/180 , 1/400 and the like 1/750 instead of just 1/750... What setting do I have wrong so that the shutter speed stays constant? Should I be using slower cont. shooting mode???

Hi,

I don't use that feature very often, but I'm guessing that if you turn off Auto ISO then the shutter speed will remain constant and the aperture will change based on the bracketing settings you established.

For example, let's say you have the camera set to take three pics - the first at the set exposure, followed by one under and then one over @ 1 stop increments. If your camera is set to 1/125 at f8 @200 ISO, the first pic will fire are that setting, the second at 1/60, and the third at 1/250.

Does this make sense?

Kind regards,

Mark

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 7,428

Just a guess here but if you want a constant shutter speed shouldn’t you set the camera to S or shutter preferred and then the camera will change aperture or ISO to bracket?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,020

Paul Pasco wrote:

Just a guess here but if you want a constant shutter speed shouldn’t you set the camera to S or shutter preferred and then the camera will change aperture or ISO to bracket?

Yep, the manual confirms that:

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

JP Tudor
OP JP Tudor New Member • Posts: 8

Edited: Thanks all - that makes sense!!!

Quick update - tried it out seems fine on Shutter priority. Also found that I can use ADL bracketing without any issues on full Manual with auto ISO. ADL seems to add a bit more noise but that's OK.

Thanks all again.

Bender79ita
Bender79ita Regular Member • Posts: 127

JP Tudor wrote:

May i ask what's the point in iso bracketing with an iso invariant sensor?

100 iso +5 ev in post or 3200 iso is almost the same thing nowdays (unless... Canon, basicly).

You should let your shutter speed vary if you really want to get more dynamic range out of your image.

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,009
Even

Bender79ita wrote:

100 iso +5 ev in post or 3200 iso is almost the same thing nowdays (unless... Canon, basicly).

"Post-processing software doesn’t like it when you brighten photos too much. Sometimes, you’ll end up with odd white balance shifts, or even potential sources of noise and discoloration. These artifacts are added by the post-processing software, not by the camera itself. Even a perfectly ISO invariant camera potentially could experience them"

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

JP Tudor
OP JP Tudor New Member • Posts: 8

Bender79ita wrote:

JP Tudor wrote:

You should let your shutter speed vary if you really want to get more dynamic range out of your image.

I can't let the shutter vary speed too much since I mostly take pictures of birds in flight. Need around 1/2000 or more sometimes. Often the subject is white against a very bright sky so not great to isolate and expose easily.

I use 2200 or so ISO as max although on cloudy days I have had to use 3200. But yes, agreed, I can live with the noise... I was just totally lost in why I was getting 1/320 shutters when I need min. of  1/1000 handheld with the 500mm.

Thanks all again ! Truly appreciate it.

avogra Forum Member • Posts: 81

Bender79ita wrote:

JP Tudor wrote:

Did you really try that yourself? I did with the D7200 and while results were very similar at a few stops underexposed and corrected in post, that was not true at 5 stops and a rather dark scene. There, using iso 3200 even allowed me to pull shadows a lot with very noisy images that were still useable in every other regard. at iso 100 and pushed 5 stops and pulling shadows even a bit resulted in most ugly artifacts and color casts. I always thought that the D7200 is completely iso invariant but that fell apart after discussion with some users at the science & technology forum. Don't know if the predecessors are better in that regard.

avogra's gear list:avogra's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 35mm f/2.8 Macro DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
avogra Forum Member • Posts: 81

This is the thread and the post in which i showed the results of my testing:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62411106

Actually I pushed by only 4 stops, because that is maximum in Capture One.

avogra's gear list:avogra's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 35mm f/2.8 Macro DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Bender79ita
Re: Even

Mako2011 wrote:

Bender79ita wrote:

"Post-processing software doesn’t like it when you brighten photos too much. Sometimes, you’ll end up with odd white balance shifts, or even potential sources of noise and discoloration. These artifacts are added by the post-processing software, not by the camera itself. Even a perfectly ISO invariant camera potentially could experience them"

The same negative effects you would get from increasing the iso, of course.

Tones more toward magenta or green (because less colors were captured), increased grain and loss of detail. The Sony RX100III does somewhat show difference on recovery but it's a 1" sensor, while in my experience with D7500, D5600, D810 the recovered files and the higher iso ones look almost identical.

There might be a difference in the noise pattern (i found out testing) but it's usually inconsequential for final image quality.

That's my experience though, after doing tests in this regard. I mostly do landscapes so i use often bracketing and/or hdr (most times it's enough to pick the right image out of the bracket and work it rather then deal with the ghosting).  Others might have different experiences of course.

Out of curiosity, this is the insane dynamic range on the D810 (i recovered the water by something absurd like 8 stops, iso 100, 1/20 f2.8@200mm);

I also did a composite version of this one but i'm pretty sure this is not it.

Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
Mako2011
Not....

Bender79ita wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Bender79ita wrote:

Not necessarily.  The negative effects can differ both in look and cause.  Pro and Cons to both methods

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Bender79ita
Re: Not....

Not necessarily. The negative effects can differ both in look and cause. Pro and Cons to both methods

Ok, but what are the pros of iso bracketing? Since every stop of iso you go up you lose 1 stop of dynamic range, don't you end up with the same amount of information?

Let's do some math. You increase the overall exposure by 1 with iso, but you are losing half ev on shadows and half ev of highlights so you end up with the same information.

If you increase exposure by two stops by iso you lose 1 stop of shadows and 1 of highlights, and so on.

Say outside is EV15 (F4 at 1/2000, not that uncommon), you shoot iso 100 on a D810 you get around 11ev of dynamic range, so you photograph from 9.5 to 20.5 EV.

Add +5 to that to shoot for 20EV (same shutter and aperture but 3200 iso) with 6.6EV of DR you photograph from 17.7 to 23.3 EV.

If you shoot 18EV (iso 800 from the first example) you get 8.44DR, so you go from 13.8EV to 22.2EV.

If all this "bro science" is correct, I suppose iso bracketing could be helpful if it's really dark, you don't want camera shake or you have moving elements in the photo, and need to get these extra EV of detail in the high part of the image.

I like it more after doing the math.

Mako2011
Re: Not....

Bender79ita wrote:

Not necessarily. The negative effects can differ both in look and cause. Pro and Cons to both methods

Ok, but what are the pros of iso bracketing?

You can then keep shutter speed and/or aperture constant. Important for some scenes depending on artistic intent

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads