Peak Design Anchors on FTZ adapter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
grannygear
grannygear Regular Member • Posts: 471
Peak Design Anchors on FTZ adapter

Just setting up my second Z6 which is going to have a Nikon 70-200 f4 attached pretty much all the time. Should I be using the second anchor point on the FTZ adapter itself? My feeling is this will allow the lens to point down, whereas mount on the 2 eyelets will have the lens horizontal and banging into things.... Should I be concerned about the weight being carried on the adapter?

FTZ mounted Anchor point

grannygear's gear list:grannygear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,008
Re: Peak Design Anchors on FTZ adapter

grannygear wrote:

Just setting up my second Z6 which is going to have a Nikon 70-200 f4 attached pretty much all the time. Should I be using the second anchor point on the FTZ adapter itself? My feeling is this will allow the lens to point down, whereas mount on the 2 eyelets will have the lens horizontal and banging into things.... Should I be concerned about the weight being carried on the adapter?

No, mounted on the adaptor will be fine.

FTZ mounted Anchor point

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,652

grannygear wrote:

FTZ mounted Anchor point

No, I would think the adapter would be the best place to carry it unless you had a tripod socket on the lens.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +13 more
grannygear
OP grannygear Regular Member • Posts: 471

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking if shooting stills, I will mount the anchor on the FTZ adapter. Any video I will be shooting will likely me from a tripod , so I will remove the anchor and pop on the manfroto video plate. Make sense. Just wanted a sanity check.

Loving the Z. Kit is packed for a wedding this afternoon. Z6 + 24-70 f4, Z6 + 70-200 f4, extra 50 1.8g + lumix G7.

Packed for wedding shoot.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +2 more
RodneyCampbell Forum Member • Posts: 71

Note - with the PD arca plate mounted on the FTZ you can't take the FTZ off (or on) the camera body (it's in the way)

RodneyCampbell's gear list:RodneyCampbell's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
grannygear
OP grannygear Regular Member • Posts: 471

RodneyCampbell wrote:

Note - with the PD arca plate mounted on the FTZ you can't take the FTZ off (or on) the camera body (it's in the way)

Thanks for the reminder. I figure the FTZ will stay on my second Z6 and I will just swap between the 70-200, 85 and 50. The 24-70 will live on the first Z6.

My old Lumix G7 will stay in the bag because it just works great.

Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 11,560

I would use a tripod collar on the lens and mount the adapter to that.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads