Travel camera advice for city trip to Porto and Lisbon

Started 2 months ago | Questions
pedrito24 Forum Member • Posts: 53
Travel camera advice for city trip to Porto and Lisbon

Next week I’m traveling to Portugal and will be visiting 2 cities (Porto and Lisbon). I have to travel light, so I will take only one camera and 1-2 lenses. I have two options:

• take only x100t. This is something I’ve always wanted to try, but never had courage to do it. I have read in some threads that it is a “liberating” experience, so I am tempted to try this time. Any advice regarding using an x100 camera in these cities? I am afraid the 23mm focal will be too tight.
  • Take x-t100 with the 15-45mm kit lens. I have been very happy with this kit during my last trips, but I’m thinking to add a small faster prime lens for low light situations (18mm f2 or buy the Samyang 12mm f2?).

I am not taking both cameras.

What are your suggestions for this destination? Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100T
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EMV Regular Member • Posts: 400
Re: Travel camera advice for city trip to Porto and Lisbon

This will not be a full answer to your question but when I travel (beach, city or skiing in the mountains) i use to bring 18mm f2 and at least one more, usually 35mm 1.4.

I barely take the 18mm off the camera, I think its a perfect travel lens, very versatile. Works for almost any settings and I’m Very pleased with IQ.

EMV's gear list:EMV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
EnglishSteve New Member • Posts: 9

I've been on some vacations where I decided to only take the X100 - the single focal length is limiting but also, as you say, liberating.  The biggest problem is mental - you need to accept that there are some shots that you won't be able to take, or maybe take different shots to the ones you might normally take.

On one trip to Spain, I decided to focus on doors and windows in the small Spanish towns and villages - I got some fun shots, but not what I would normally have focused on.  I enjoyed the vacation immensely and my wife was happy that I wasn't lugging my full (at the time) Nikon kit around.

EnglishSteve's gear list:EnglishSteve's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,509

I love the approach with limited prime lenses, but the 23mm never got me. So, I would take the 18mm (which is great for travelling) paired with a 35mm. Forget about the zoom...

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,157
When I visited Lisbon .... and some other places

pedrito24 wrote:

Next week I’m traveling to Portugal and will be visiting 2 cities (Porto and Lisbon). I have to travel light, so I will take only one camera and 1-2 lenses. I have two options:

• take only x100t. This is something I’ve always wanted to try, but never had courage to do it. I have read in some threads that it is a “liberating” experience, so I am tempted to try this time. Any advice regarding using an x100 camera in these cities? I am afraid the 23mm focal will be too tight.
  • Take x-t100 with the 15-45mm kit lens. I have been very happy with this kit during my last trips, but I’m thinking to add a small faster prime lens for low light situations (18mm f2 or buy the Samyang 12mm f2?).

I am not taking both cameras.

What are your suggestions for this destination? Thanks in advance!

I had X-E1 + 18-55 (OiS) and  I did not need other lenses....

"Faster" prime will not help very much.

a seaside town

Lisbon

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 is my favourite traveling camera - also NEW! 5DMkIV for landscapes, BIF/nature .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 582

Just want to say I used the X100s for 4 years, was my only camera on 15 holidays (including Porto). You'll find a way to adapt and be more creative with one camera or lens.

Got the X-T20 in Dec 2017 and took 1 lens on each holiday: 23/35/18-55

OP pedrito24 Forum Member • Posts: 53

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like it can actually be fun to have only one focal length.

I must say I'm also not that fond about the 23mm focal length. I like everything about the x100t, the size, ergonomics, image quality, etc.  but if it had a 18mm f2 lens I would enjoy it more.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,353

As always, it depends on what you take pics of. For general purpose "I am undecided" situaiotn, take the zoom. If not, take the X100.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more

biza43 wrote:

As always, it depends on what you take pics of. For general purpose "I am undecided" situaiotn, take the zoom. If not, take the X100.

Well, that's kind of obvious, isn't it? I was asking more about people's experience with travelling with either systems, and possibly related to the destinations I will be visiting.

I generally take pictures of landscapes (or cityscapes), architecture and street life. Or scenes  that particularly capture my attention (can be some special light, or colours, or geometrical pattern etc.)

JdKen Regular Member • Posts: 181

The WCL adapter for the xX100 gives you 19mm equivalent and is small enough not to make too much of a difference to the way the camera feels. You can take it off quite quickly and you don't need to worry about dust on the sensor during the switch.

I haven't been to either of your destinations but it was good for me in Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.

JdKen's gear list:JdKen's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,157
Re: Travel camera advice for city trip to......, geometrical...

pedrito24 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Well, that's kind of obvious, isn't it? I was asking more about people's experience with travelling with either systems, and possibly related to the destinations I will be visiting.

I generally take pictures of landscapes (or cityscapes), architecture and street life. Or scenes that particularly capture my attention (can be some special light, or colours, or geometrical pattern etc.)

In Portugal you will  notice the old culture of ceramic tiles and other ceramic stuff  - with geometrical patterns. On walls and streets, everywhere . A zoom probably works - so that you can isolate the forms from walls. Some houses are quite special IMO

Daytime street life can be interesting, not sure how it is in the night  - try also the trams in Lisbon. There are high hills...to climb and to use local elevators

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 is my favourite traveling camera - also NEW! 5DMkIV for landscapes, BIF/nature .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,353

pedrito24 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Well, that's kind of obvious, isn't it?

No. I am from Lisbon, there are many subjects to photograph there. Same for Porto. People, architecture, street, sightseeing.

For this, you will need a telephoto.

For this, a kit zoom will do.

For this, you will need a wide angle.

Again, a telephoto lens.

I was asking more about people's experience with travelling with either systems, and possibly related to the destinations I will be visiting.

I generally take pictures of landscapes (or cityscapes), architecture and street life. Or scenes that particularly capture my attention (can be some special light, or colours, or geometrical pattern etc.)

Then, as I said above, take the zoom.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
decaf14 Regular Member • Posts: 190

Hello,

If you're only taking one lens, I would recommend against the rokinon 12mm since it doesn't have autofocus. You don't want to be missing focus on moving subjects. Or spending all of your time trying to nail focus.

It is an excellent lens, though. Especially for landscapes and astro.

The 18mm sounds like a good option. Consider the 27mm as well if you like compactness. It's very very sharp even at f2.8.

decaf14's gear list:decaf14's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
nik0n Junior Member • Posts: 35

I've just returned from a trip to Portugal (and Lisbon) and did a lot of thinking and testing of camera gear prior to this trip. I first tested my X-T20 with some small primes and thought it would be the best travel-solution. A few city-trips later I came to the conclusion; I am a zoom-travel-photographer! I ended up with these lenses in my travel kit:

Fujinon 18-55mm f/2.8-4
Fujinon 50-230mm
Laowa 9mm f/2.8

I'm really happy with my choice and the Laowa was such great fun in those tight streets. The 18-55mm was my primary shooter, and in fact I'm now considering getting the 15-45mm as the 18mm often was just a little too tight. I chose the 50-230mm over the 55-200 as it's considerably lighter, reasonably good optically and balances better on the X-T20 (IMHO). I chose these lenses in favour of 14mm f/2.8, 23mm f/2 and 50mm f/2.

The 15-45mm would in my opinion be a good choice for photographing these citys and if I had to pull one lens off from my kit, it would have been the 50-230mm.

Just to mention; the Laowa 9mm is a all manual lens, but at this focal length manual focusing is no problem. Put it on f8 or f11, focus at infinity and you are all set. Focus peaking helps a lot when you once in a while go really close and infinity focus doesn't make it.

jrk
jrk Senior Member • Posts: 2,745

Take the X100T and enjoy the trip. 

-- hide signature --

We all have wings
Some of us don't know why
-INXS-

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,236
Lowepro

The lowepro tahoe bp150 is pretty good backpack for the price, I recommend it highly for just a camera + 2 lenses.

I used it with both x-t3 and 16mm f1.4, a dji spark and its RC!

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,476

I took my X-T100 to Italy with just my 23mm 1.4 prime and really enjoyed not carrying around any camera bags or backpacks in the summer heat.  As said above, very liberating.

i did cheat though.  I also carried my GRII in my shorts pocket as my wide angle alternative with no lens changing needed.  In questionable areas I just took the tiny GRII.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more

jrk wrote:

Take the X100T and enjoy the trip.

Thank you, that’s what I’ve decided to do in the end!

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experience. After some consideration I’ve decided to take the x100t as only camera. Worst case scenario I’ll “just” enjoy the trip 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads