Free Used Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800

Started Jul 22, 2019 | Questions
jpatburke New Member • Posts: 1
Free Used Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800

My neighbor at work (Big Dig Graph Co) just tossed a few Wide format platters. Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800. These guys always throw out valuable stuff they just dont wont... So my question is should I see if they work and are worth repairing? I know vague question... Im capable of fixing anything but should i invest the 5-10 hours it might take to even find out? Im an artist and can make money with a photo quality plotter... Ill call them Monday and see if they have any info... Any info would help. Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,760
Re: Free Used Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800

jpatburke wrote:

My neighbor at work (Big Dig Graph Co) just tossed a few Wide format platters. Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800. These guys always throw out valuable stuff they just dont wont... So my question is should I see if they work and are worth repairing? I know vague question... Im capable of fixing anything but should i invest the 5-10 hours it might take to even find out? Im an artist and can make money with a photo quality plotter... Ill call them Monday and see if they have any info... Any info would help. Thanks.

If they have ink and can be tested then go ahead as you've got nothing to lose. But if they don't have any ink or some are missing then you have to decide just how much money you are willing to invest in an experiment.

But just to let you know those heads plug up real fast if they aren't used everyday and successfully unplugging them can be a real crap shoot. BTW, 9900 heads are a lot harder to unplug than 9800 ones.

They threw them out for a reason, try to find out what that was before proceeding.

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

A lot of companies running those sort of units buy service packages with the printer. If they run them often it is important not to have too much down time or other issues. Ask if they did, this is because there is a cut off point where it becomes less reasonable to replace than repair

There are, over here in the UK, several companies that get hold of large format printers and refurb them, I guess they take them away when the new ones go in. I would query why they tip them rather than recoup some of the cost by trading.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,314

jMy neighbor at work (Big Dig Graph Co) just tossed a few Wide format platters. Epson Stylus 9900 and 9800. These guys always throw out valuable stuff they just dont wont... So my question is should I see if they work and are worth repairing? I know vague question... Im capable of fixing anything but should i invest the 5-10 hours it might take to even find out? Im an artist and can make money with a photo quality plotter... Ill call them Monday and see if they have any info... Any info would help.

If the printers come with at least some of each color of ink, then you can get one or both and try it / them--but then if you don't want to keep it / them, you have a huge printer (or two) to deal with.

The 9900 is the considerably newer printer (208-2015), but generally, the Epson 4900, 7900, and 9900* are known as maybe the worst printers ever for clogging problems. How bad probably depends on their microclimate (temperature, humidity, and dustiness) and how often you use them.

The 9800 is the considerably older printer (2005-2007), but has a better reputation for clogging than the 9900--which is not to say the 9800 should be trouble-free, especially if you don't print every few days.

Last but not least, these are big physically, and will cost a lot to feed. Ink and paper for the big prints these printers are designed to make won't be cheap. Have you looked at what it costs to run one of these printers, even if you get the device for free?

*The 7890 and 9890 are very similar, but with fewer ink channels, lacking the green and orange inks. It would not surprise me if they are similarly troublesome.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

I have a 9800 and it went unused for 5 years some time back. I ran a head test and there were no working nozzles. Almost tossed it. Got new inks and a head cleaner. After soaking a few hours and a couple deep cleans, it was completely clog free. Been working good ever since. Rarely has even one clogged nozzle.

Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,593

jpatburke wrote:

They threw them away for a reason - it is much less expensive to buy a new printer than to pay for the repair when a machine stops functioning.

I have been through four Epson large format printers. 7800s, and 7890s. Epson charges almost as much for a new print head as for a complete new machine. That's the economy of large scale manufacture.

And it's never just the head that needs replacement. Service will find one or more circuit boards that need replacement. They even charge astronomical prices for just replacing the (non-rechargeable) battery on one of the boards. (That battery is never mentioned in any of the information about the printer. Not even in the user manuals. And when it fails - the machine must be partially disassembled and one of the boards extracted. It's an extended service call.

In every case, a dead 7890 would have cost $3000 to $4500 to service (technician time plus parts) with a minimum of a week of down time. Productive shops simply can't absorb the down time, let alone the price of bringing a used piece of gear up to spec. A new machine, shipped and up and running in 24 hrs was $2300 including shipping.

It's a simple business decision. Which one would you make?

If the discarded machines are not working, it could easily cost you as much as a new machine, if you can get the needed parts - in all probability a new print head. Epson has stopped making them available to anyone but Epson-partner authorized service/repair companies.

Rich

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

For other reasons I had a peek at printers for sale on Ebay,  there I noticed ( trying to be brand neutral )  several units for sale around £400 to £500 , and the photos showed expected signs of wear .... so A2 for £450 huh

Problem comes when you read the fine print and know the machines, a set of inks for these depleted printers will cost around £500. Some don't like being moved about whilst internal reservoirs are inked , and if the carts are empty even on one colour, you cant print. So how long has the head not been used and what will it take to sort it.

Funniest part is , the units I was looking at for sale, are available from bricks and mortar stores for less than £900, including delivery and a years guarantee !

Sometimes, if you need a working problem free piece of equipment......... buy a new one , at least you have someone to call next week if its a dud !

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

dccberry Contributing Member • Posts: 765

They usually get tossed when the heads go bad. They will cost at least $1500 in parts alone, and the repair is most likely beyond your ability, since there is some very precise calibration involved. Not worth the overall effort unfortunately. You can run a test pattern if they have ink, and see what color channels have gone bad. I have a 9890 that lost 50% of its black ink density when the head failed, so for some non-critical purposes, it could still be usable (not by me).

-- hide signature --
 dccberry's gear list:dccberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads