Lots of refurb Olympus Air's being sold

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Lots of refurb Olympus Air's being sold
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
Easy to convert to IR

If you're handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron these are relatively easy to convert to Infrared - actually, "Full Spectrum" since it involves simply removing the hot filter, then buying IR or other spectrum filters to mount on your lens(es). This can be a cheap entry point to IR for anyone interested in playing around.

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +16 more
OP LoneTree1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Easy to convert to IR

SterlingBjorndahl wrote:

If you're handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron these are relatively easy to convert to Infrared - actually, "Full Spectrum" since it involves simply removing the hot filter, then buying IR or other spectrum filters to mount on your lens(es). This can be a cheap entry point to IR for anyone interested in playing around.

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

That's interesting.  I've done a bunch of Nikon bodies, the hardest thing in them was making sure the tiny ribbon cables reseated in the connectors properly.

stateit Contributing Member • Posts: 932
Re: Lots of refurb Olympus Air's being sold

LoneTree1 wrote:

I ordered one. I bought one when it came out, then sold it, then missed it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Air-A01-Mirrorless-Micro-4-3-Body-BlK-V208010BU000/352609350101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Do you know if much came out of the open development platform, with 3Rd parties developing apps or suchlike?

stateit's gear list:stateit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 7,330

LoneTree1 wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Air-A01-Mirrorless-Micro-4-3-Body-BlK-V208010BU000/352609350101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They'e amazing, and the app still works perfectly with the iPhone.  On a telescope or spotting scope it's a darned useful camera, and with an IS lens attached it works very well as a walkabout camera with your phone.  I love it and wish that they would introduce an IS version with the 20MP sensor, but clearly they didn't sell very well.

Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +15 more

stateit wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

Do you know if much came out of the open development platform, with 3Rd parties developing apps or suchlike?

No, I never really delved into it.  One place it could be used is with specific telescopes.  You can replace the secondary mirror (mirror telescope) with a camera in some models, but it would be much better to have something cylindrical that could match or even be smaller than the scope's secondary mirror, rather than have a huge DSLR body occluding the aperture of the telescope's main-mirror.    Plus, no wires, control is all by wifi.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,240
Olympus Air: end of story?

Good idea.

But no lcd, wired in battery, too expensive for pared back part-cameras.

The GM series did much the same same thing but were also a fully functional camera in their own right.  But they were also regarded as too expensive - especially for multiple body ownership - therefore they likewise did not sell very well either and were not replaced.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551

LoneTree1 wrote:

Good luck with it. The AIR A01 stands out as one of two cameras that I've bought and returned as not meeting my needs (the other one was the Z camera E-1). If you are curious here is the post I summarized on the AIR's shortcomings:

For a remote control camera, I've found the Panasonic LX10 to be a much better platform to use. I have video taped a 1.5 hour show using the LX10, the Panasonic app and a dummy battery to keep the camera powered.

Unfortunately, if you want to zoom the AIR A01 from the Olympus app, you only have a choice of 4 lenses that support electronic zoom which are slow consumer lenses (and are rather ancient at this point):

• Olympus 14-42mm EZ lens (must have EZ suffix)
  • Olympus 12-50mm EZ lens
  • Panasonic 14-42mm PZ lens (must have PZ suffix)
  • Panasonic 45-175mm PZ lens

If you are a programmer, I saw this github that claims to have a Python interface to the AIR.  Note, it hasn't been updated in 3 years, and the links to the documentation of the protocol at the Olympus site are now dead (I did snatch a copy while they were still live):

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

I ordered one, it arrived today. I can't get it to connect to my iPhone (iPhone 8).

It's done the basic connection via Bluetooth and I can select the WiFi network, but when I use the app, it complains it can't find the camera and tells me to go find it in the WiFi settings, where its already selected.

Any ideas?

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more

Barry Twycross wrote:

I ordered one, it arrived today. I can't get it to connect to my iPhone (iPhone 8).

It's done the basic connection via Bluetooth and I can select the WiFi network, but when I use the app, it complains it can't find the camera and tells me to go find it in the WiFi settings, where its already selected.

Any ideas?

I haven't got mine yet, but I owned one a couple years ago.  It worked fine with my android phone and tablet, or as fine as cameras tend to work with physically untethered connections.  I've yet to find a camera that functions perfectly that way.  I should get one in the next day or two and i'll run it though its paces.

yu jing New Member • Posts: 1

hi does it work on ios12, do you find the problem?

Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

yu jing wrote:

I don't know.

Olympus are telling me to reset it, but the procedure they tell me to use doesn't work.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more

Barry Twycross wrote:

yu jing wrote:

I don't know.

Olympus are telling me to reset it, but the procedure they tell me to use doesn't work.

I doubt Olympus have much interest in it anymore.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads