TOKINA AT-X 16-28MM F2.8 PRO FX

Started Jul 19, 2019 | Discussions
Giron New Member • Posts: 1
TOKINA AT-X 16-28MM F2.8 PRO FX

Hello, someone has already used the Canon EOS R with adapter and the TOKINA AT-X 16-28MM F2.8 PRO FX LENS FOR CANON. Thank you.

souvikdgp Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: TOKINA AT-X 16-28MM F2.8 PRO FX

I'm also on the same boat and have been searching for answers. Recently I came across an official Tokina post:
https://tokinalens.com/news/about_compatibility_of_tokina_interchangeable_lenses_with_canon_eos_r_camera/

This clearly states that Tokina lenses are compatible with EOS R mount system using an adapter. However, I've sent them an email query to answer for this specific lens. I'm yet to hear back.

Please let me know if you or anyone in this forum had an definitive answer.

souvikdgp's gear list:souvikdgp's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more
Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 8,224

souvikdgp wrote:

I'm also on the same boat and have been searching for answers. Recently I came across an official Tokina post:
https://tokinalens.com/news/about_compatibility_of_tokina_interchangeable_lenses_with_canon_eos_r_camera/

This clearly states that Tokina lenses are compatible with EOS R mount system using an adapter. However, I've sent them an email query to answer for this specific lens. I'm yet to hear back.

I've got the 16-28mm ATX Pro and it works fine on my EOS R.  You can get one from Adorama for $399.95, best price I've seen for a new one.  The Opera version is a lot more.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +18 more

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I got one today and I have EOS RP with Canon adapter. Below is the image from my combination. I shoot raw and converted to JPEG in Luminar without applying anything. I can see dark patches in all 4 corners. And also a glowing circle near the edge, visible on the left side in this picture. This is the case for every picture I have taken with it so far (about 10). Is this normal? Or something is wrong with my copy?

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more

Couple of quick observations:

1. That black patches gone when stepped down to f5.6. Glowing circle still visible @f5.6, although barely

2. Everything is fine starting from f8.

3. The image in my earlier post was taken at f2.8

-- hide signature --

The photo I posted was taken at 16mm, f8.  No problems with that and that is the type of shooting I normally do.  I'll check out mine shooting at 16mm wide-open at f2.8 and see how it looks.  Stay tuned.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +18 more

Well, I'm not experiencing any of the issues you are with my lens. Those "patches" are 'vignetting'. Vignetting is normal for a lens like this but not like I see in your photo - it's almost as if the lens hood is extended out too far on the lens but that's not possible since the built-in hood cannot be moved. I say this because some time I had a Sigma 8-16mm EX lens on an APS_C crop sensor camera.  The lens hood was removable.  If you used it while shooting wide-open at 8mm, you would see very heavy vignetting. Without the lens hood, it was fine.  Check this link for the type of vignetting you should experience, which is quite different from what your lens produced: https://www.christopheanagno.com/tokina-opera-16-28mm-f-2-8-review/

Here is a series of out-of-camera JPGs I just shot. All are at 16mm, I started at f2.8 and stopped-down in increments to f10. There's no real vignetting at all or any type of flare like you have see from your lens.

https://www.pete-the-greek.com/Other/Tokina-16-28mm-ATX-Pro/

-- hide signature --

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

Well, I'm not experiencing any of the issues you are with my lens. Those "patches" are 'vignetting'. Vignetting is normal for a lens like this but not like I see in your photo - it's almost as if the lens hood is extended out too far on the lens but that's not possible since the built-in hood cannot be moved. I say this because some time I had a Sigma 8-16mm EX lens on an APS_C crop sensor camera. The lens hood was removable. If you used it while shooting wide-open at 8mm, you would see very heavy vignetting. Without the lens hood, it was fine. Check this link for the type of vignetting you should experience, which is quite different from what your lens produced: https://www.christopheanagno.com/tokina-opera-16-28mm-f-2-8-review/

Here is a series of out-of-camera JPGs I just shot. All are at 16mm, I started at f2.8 and stopped-down in increments to f10. There's no real vignetting at all or any type of flare like you have see from your lens.

https://www.pete-the-greek.com/Other/Tokina-16-28mm-ATX-Pro/

I really appreciate your quick reply. Unfortunately my copy is causing this weired problem. I tested it with various combinations in my EOS RP. I don't have another full frame DSLR at my place to test it out. I have a cropped sensor Canon (550D/Rebel T2i) and seems to work fine there.

-- hide signature --
1017 New Member • Posts: 20

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I got one today and I have EOS RP with Canon adapter. Below is the image from my combination. I shoot raw and converted to JPEG in Luminar without applying anything. I can see dark patches in all 4 corners. And also a glowing circle near the edge, visible on the left side in this picture. This is the case for every picture I have taken with it so far (about 10). Is this normal? Or something is wrong with my copy?

Hi souvikdgp,

In Menu go to Lens aberration correction and turn off peripheral illumination correction, this should remove the dark patches in the corner.

Cheers,

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

In Menu go to Lens aberration correction and turn off peripheral illumination correction, this should remove the dark patches in the corner.

Cheers,

Thanks 1017, you saved my day, my lens and my money 😀. It worked like a charm. All I can see now is normal vignetting which should be fixed in post processing. Thanks a lot. Really, I mean it.

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

Cheers,

Hmm. I have peripheral illumination correction set to "on" and I don't experience what the OP has with the same lens.

-- hide signature --

souvikdgp wrote:

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

Cheers,

Thanks 1017, you saved my day, my lens and my money 😀. It worked like a charm. All I can see now is normal vignetting which should be fixed in post processing. Thanks a lot. Really, I mean it.

Glad you have it sorted

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

Cheers,

Hmm. I have peripheral illumination correction set to "on" and I don't experience what the OP has with the same lens.

Not sure why that is, I could replicate the issue when peripheral illumination correction was turned on, got the same dark patches in the corners.

1017 wrote:

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

Cheers,

Not sure why that is, I could replicate the issue when peripheral illumination correction was turned on, got the same dark patches in the corners.

May be a issue with EOS RP, cause 1017 and I have the same camera whereas Peter has EOS R body. Just guessing they have different algorithm for peripheral illumination correction.
--

See my work @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/souvikchatterjee/

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,651

souvikdgp wrote:

I've got the 16-28mm ATX Pro and it works fine on my EOS R. You can get one from Adorama for $399.95, best price I've seen for a new one. The Opera version is a lot more.

Nice picture!

Would you mind posting a picture of what it looks like mounted on camera? Trying to decide if it is too huge for the Rp.

souvikdgp wrote:

1017 wrote:

1017 wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

Hi,

Hi souvikdgp,

Cheers,

May be a issue with EOS RP, cause 1017 and I have the same camera whereas Peter has EOS R body. Just guessing they have different algorithm for peripheral illumination correction.
--

See my work @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/souvikchatterjee/

That wouldn’t make much sense as they have the same mount and sensor size.  Are you all using the canon official adapter.

tkbslc wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

I've got the 16-28mm ATX Pro and it works fine on my EOS R. You can get one from Adorama for $399.95, best price I've seen for a new one. The Opera version is a lot more.

Nice picture!

Would you mind posting a picture of what it looks like mounted on camera? Trying to decide if it is too huge for the Rp.

No problem, I'll shoot one with my phone and post it. Just to clarify:  I have the EOS R, not the RP. It's a big lens.

-- hide signature --

Here's a couple of quick shots of my EOS R with the Tokina 16-28mm mounted:

-- hide signature --

Thanks

Thank you for that, very helpful.

That's a pretty big boy.  Great price if I can convince myself to carry it! 

Re: Thanks

tkbslc wrote:

Thank you for that, very helpful.

That's a pretty big boy. Great price if I can convince myself to carry it!

It's a $400 gamble that you might want to take. The first copy of the lens I got was soft. Adorama replaced it with no argument and the replacement is good.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads