New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
400trix
400trix Contributing Member • Posts: 633
Re: New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

There add  a line of fast primes in the last road map, which raises the odds that these will see the light of day.

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 966
Price and size is irrelevant?

jeffharris wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I can only rejoice at this news reporting Olympus patents for f1.4 lenses:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

My wish list to make them unique in a crowded MFT lens market:

- much smaller/lighter than f1.2 series

- aperture ring like the Panasonic 15mm/1.7

- Olympus manual focus clutch mechanism and focus scale

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses, but they’re big and heavy...)!

The 10mm f1.4 is the only lens in the group of patents that would add anything substantially different (or more interesting) than lenses that are already available.

A 10mm f1.4 would be a nice, solid addition to the system!

We don’t know anything other than the focal lengths and apertures.

There are a lot of other variables that determines if an optic deserves consideration. If these optics ever make it to the market, I think it’s safe to assume that they will try to inhabit a new space in the line-up.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,649

To bad Olympus can’t make a 75 or 100 1.4 at a reasonable weight then we would be talking..

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,474

bofo777 wrote:

To bad Olympus can’t make a 75 or 100 1.4 at a reasonable weight then we would be talking..

Or Panasonic.

Voigtländer recently announced a new M mount 75mm f1.5. Close enough to f1.4. 350g, 58mm filters, 63.3mm L x 62.8mm dia., 12 aperture blades. Looks perfect for my needs.

Yes, I t would be nice to see a native 100mm or 105mm lens. Even better if it were a macro lens doing double-duty as a telephoto lens!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +32 more
Osa25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,794

roberthd12 wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses, but they’re big and heavy...)!

I do not know how Oly could make optically better 1.4 lenses than the mighty Sigma trio of 1.4 lenses for micro 4/3. I am using their 30mm 1.4 and love it, and may get the 16. Check the LensTip tests for the 30mm. Also, they are at a good price, and the construction is solid.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/mirrorless-f1-4-trio

But they don’t need to do that. They can just make micro-four-thirds-sized ones. Sigma is making APSC-sizes lenses and slapping on M43 mount.

Osa25's gear list:Osa25's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +1 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,177

Osa25 wrote:

roberthd12 wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I do not know how Oly could make optically better 1.4 lenses than the mighty Sigma trio of 1.4 lenses for micro 4/3. I am using their 30mm 1.4 and love it, and may get the 16. Check the LensTip tests for the 30mm. Also, they are at a good price, and the construction is solid.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/mirrorless-f1-4-trio

But they don’t need to do that. They can just make micro-four-thirds-sized ones. Sigma is making APSC-sizes lenses and slapping on M43 mount.

And that raises the problem that the focal lengths aren't really right for mFT. Native designed lenses would have some more sensible focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 276

I just don't think it'll happen. Olympus would probably do better by dropping the price of their 1.2's. With a healthy used market and fuji offerings, users already have a lot to choose from.

If you go with top end IQ, then it hurts your 1.2 sales. If you go middle of the road, then why not just go used with the 1.8's and save a lot of money....or, just pony up a bit more for the 1.2's.

Tough market.

Keithpictures
Keithpictures Regular Member • Posts: 308

originalhype wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Very few patents make it through to products.

Having said that, my wish list coincides exactly with yours.

We need more pancake lenses at 1.4.

Agreed about the pancakes. I'd love more! I would even choose the pancake size in sacrifice of the other wish list items: aperture, focus ring, etc. A pancake 10mm would be especially amazing.

Keithpictures's gear list:Keithpictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +3 more
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,649

jeffharris wrote:

bofo777 wrote:

Or Panasonic.

Voigtländer recently announced a new M mount 75mm f1.5. Close enough to f1.4. 350g, 58mm filters, 63.3mm L x 62.8mm dia., 12 aperture blades. Looks perfect for my needs.

Yes, I t would be nice to see a native 100mm or 105mm lens. Even better if it were a macro lens doing double-duty as a telephoto lens!

Voigtlander makes wonderful lenses since I own one myself but rarely use it because of no AF..

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
jeffharris

bofo777 wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

bofo777 wrote:

Or Panasonic.

Voigtlander makes wonderful lenses since I own one myself but rarely use it because of no AF.

Use it more!

I have a bunch of Voigtländers… native M4/3, M mount and L39. My faves, without a doubt. They're all such a pleasure to use and the image quality is excellent!

As for the "lack" of AF, contemporary manual focus tools… magnified view. and to a lesser extent because of it's lack of accuracy, focus peaking… it's SO much easier, quicker and FAR more accurate than the purely visual tools of the past… It's just much more direct and just plain better! Manual focus is also much more conscious and deliberate than AF. YES, I use both.

Certainly, it's a matter of preference and taste, but for me, the payoff outweighs "convenience".

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +32 more
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 614

MFT is missing compact, weather-sealed primes. The 1.8 line is not WR, the 1.2 line is not compact. I guess Oly realised that Fuji is offering an attractive alternative for the outdoor crowd and wanted to do something about that. They're probably 1.4 so they can go up-market with higher profit margins than an update of the 1.8 line would have allowed for.

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 276

I honestly hope you're right. I would agree that a line of 1.4's would be quite attractive. I just don't think it will happen as I'm sure they'd rather push their 1.2 line since the R&D has already been spent on those.

rurikw Senior Member • Posts: 2,630

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Hopefully a little smaller and lighter. Much smaller and lighter is asking too much.

Why? The f/1.2 series is enormous.

1.4 is less than 1/2 stop less so how could they be much smaller?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
jeffharris

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Hopefully a little smaller and lighter. Much smaller and lighter is asking too much.

Oly 25mm f1.2. Panasonic 25mm f1.4

rurikw Senior Member • Posts: 2,630

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I have no idea what makes the Oly so big and the Pana so small but speed it can't be.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
originalhype Regular Member • Posts: 251

rurikw wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I have no idea what makes the Oly so big and the Pana so small but speed it can't be.

Simple, olympus wants to give you all the reason why the price is justified. If it's prime, there should be no reason why it has to be so big. If they made compact lenses back then, why not now? NO EXCUSES.

glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,149

rurikw wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Here are some clues... it's all about wide open performance right to the edges. If you only shoot at f2.8, then get the smaller and cheaper Panaleica.

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 966

glassoholic wrote:

rurikw wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Here are some clues... it's all about wide open performance right to the edges. If you only shoot at f2.8, then get the smaller and cheaper Panaleica.

Roger Cicalas optical bench tests confirm that the PanaLeica performs as well as the Olympus from f2.8 onwards.

And actually it does very well in a wide central region almost extending to the vertical border at the wider apertures as well. The 25mm f1.4 is a nice lens. At a fraction of the cost and size of the Olympus f1.2. That lens and the Sigma lenses even if designed for APS aim for a balance of properties that I appreciate. Had the Sigma lenses been designed for m43, they might have impressed even more, but they are very good as it is.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
jeffharris

rurikw wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I remember film-era Nikon 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2. The f1.2 was significantly bigger and heavier.

I really don’t get the Olympus over-sized lens thing. But, if you look at current FF lenses, they tend to be giant. I guess designing for high-res sensors (and avoiding software corrections) it must be necessary.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,177

rurikw wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

By making them much simpler and sacrificing a bit of edge resolution. An f/1.4 double gauss design has intrinsically six elements. They get elaborated a bit to eight or nine. The Olympus f/1.2 has 17 elements, it is enormously complex for what it does. The result is edge to edge sharpness wide open, but the cases when you want edge to edge at f/1.2 (or f/1.4) are quite few, since unless you have a flat subject, and unless you put the main subject at the edge, DOF is miking the periphery blurred in any case at those f-numbers. So, I think that a simple, eight or nine element DG design at f/1.4 with good centre sharpness and edges that firm up after f/2.8 or so (which is when DG designs tend to get edge to edge) and was really rather small would be just great. Imagine the OM-1 50/1.4 made half size and you get an idea of what we're talking about.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads