New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Vincent in Geneva
Vincent in Geneva New Member • Posts: 18
New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

I can only rejoice at this news reporting Olympus patents for f1.4 lenses:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

My wish list to make them unique in a crowded MFT lens market:

- much smaller/lighter than f1.2 series

- aperture ring like the Panasonic 15mm/1.7

- Olympus manual focus clutch mechanism and focus scale

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses,  but they’re big and heavy...)!

Vincent in Geneva's gear list:Vincent in Geneva's gear list
Leica Q Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,997
Re: New Olympus MFT 1.4 prime lenses?

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

https://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-discloses-the-10mm-12mm-14mm-and-16mm-f-1-4-primes-design/

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses, but they’re big and heavy...)!

Very few patents make it through to products.

Having said that, my wish list coincides exactly with yours.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

originalhype Regular Member • Posts: 251

bobn2 wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Currently, as far as I know, nobody else offers this in MFT yet, and it would make manual operation a full option on MFT (I know there are Voigtländer lenses, but they’re big and heavy...)!

We need more pancake lenses at 1.4.

bobn2

originalhype wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

We need more pancake lenses at 1.4.

Exactly.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,857

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

And weather sealed.

The Mad Kiwi Contributing Member • Posts: 908

A 10mm 1.4 might tempt me to open my wallet

The Mad Kiwi's gear list:The Mad Kiwi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Osa25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,792

If they have resources to duplicate these - but still refuse to do a 19 or 20mm, where there’s an actual wide open unfulfilled need - them then they deserve to lose money.

Osa25's gear list:Osa25's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,958
I'd rather have a 12mm f1.2 Pro

But I won't complain if they release more reasonably-priced primes.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +16 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 4,092

The Mad Kiwi wrote:

A 10mm 1.4 might tempt me to open my wallet

It would be nice... but a 7-9mm even better... an affordable and compact 8mm f2.0 with close to Pro-like performance wide open would get my credit card twitching. The Laowa 7.5mm f2.0 is close, but vignetting and edge performance wide open is below par.

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

glassoholic
Re: I'd rather have a 12mm f1.2 Pro

And f4.0 high IQ, affordable and compact zooms... 12-60, 60-200 or a 14-150 f4.0 with stellar performance... something to fill the gap between fast Pro zooms and consumer zooms. The Pro 12-100 is F4.0 but is highly regarded. If there were high quality but cheaper other f4.0 constant offerings, I think they would be well received.

-- hide signature --

Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 600

All I want is a couple of small weather sealed primes. It doesn't look like either Pany or Oly will re-release their 1.8 or 1.7 line with WR. This might be the next best thing, if lenses are reasonably small. But Oly seem to prioritise IQ over compactness lately (see the 1.2 primes, or the 40-150 compared to Pana's 35-100).

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,948

10mm f/1.4

The rest can stay on paper forever.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,245
Perfect & cheap (as well)?

Sounds like Olympus could not go wrong

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

The 10mm f1.4 is the only lens in the group of patents that would add anything substantially different (or more interesting) than lenses that are already available.

A 10mm f1.4 would be a nice, solid addition to the system!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +32 more
glassoholic
Re: Perfect & cheap (as well)?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sounds like Olympus could not go wrong

Somewhere between $1200 and $350 is a price point for a new range... sort of the IQ and price of the Sigma 1.4 trio but size as only made for m43 can be 😁.

-- hide signature --

addlightness Senior Member • Posts: 3,019

+1 for 10/f1.4

My PL15/1.7 already bridges the proposed 14mm/16mm albeit slower.  10/f1.4 will be unique as PL 12/1.4 already exists.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +9 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,858

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Hopefully a little smaller and lighter.  Much smaller and lighter is asking too much.

Not on an Olympus.

Hopefully so if they are in the Pro line of lenses.

I am guessing the 12mm F1.2 lens will be announced in a few months.  I will most likely buy it since I really don't think the 12mm F1.4 lens will be released any time soon.  Then again the upcoming E-M5.3 will need a few new lenses to match up with it.  Olympus as stated that they will be going smaller.

Now the 10mm F1.4 is really interesting.  It will make a nice uwa lens with potential for milky way night landscape photography. The 14mm f1.4 might be a nice focal length since the FF 25mm was considered a classic focal length.  Then again Olympus also has a patent for a 14mm F1.2 lens.  Which one will reach the market if any is anyone guess.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
bobn2

DLBlack wrote:

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Hopefully a little smaller and lighter. Much smaller and lighter is asking too much.

Why? The f/1.2 series is enormous.

-- hide signature --

263, look deader.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

Yes. I like my small f/1.8 or f/1.7 primes (Panasonic Leica 15mm, Panasonic 20mm, Olympus 25mm, and Olympus 45mm) that they are easy to toss into the camera bag. While the Olympus f/1.2 and the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 lenses are much larger, and would be apt to be left home due to weight and size issues.

And then we get to the issue of cost. I have a hard time rationalizing buying a $1k (USA) lens, given it is fixed to one focal length.  At that range, I have to pick and choose carefully.  I am a zoom guy and I prefer to frame my shot in the camera and not during editing. And in wet conditions, I prefer not to change lenses.

Like others have said, I doubt this.

Yes.

Though frankly if the lenses are > $600 and not small, the Panasonic Leica 10-25mm f/1.7 would probably win out.

And if the lenses are not splash proof, it will further push me towards the 10-25mm.  Right now the only splash proof options prime under $1K that I'm aware of is the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and Sigma 56mm f/1.4 (but not its sister, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4).  I recently bought the Sigma 16mm, and it compares in size to the 12-40mm or the earlier Olympus 14-54mm classic 4/3rds lens + MMF-3.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
roberthd12 Regular Member • Posts: 409

Vincent in Geneva wrote:

I do not know how Oly could make optically better 1.4 lenses than the mighty Sigma trio of 1.4 lenses for micro 4/3. I am using their 30mm 1.4 and love it, and may get the 16. Check the LensTip tests for the 30mm. Also, they are at a good price, and the construction is solid.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/mirrorless-f1-4-trio

-- hide signature --

Roberthd12

roberthd12's gear list:roberthd12's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P2 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads