13x18 Film Holder question?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
jacklindr New Member • Posts: 18
13x18 Film Holder question?

I've wanted to get into large format photography for quite some time and a few weeks ago I started researching a bit.

I was planing on doing that for awhile before buying anything, BUT I came across this camera and I seemed cheap enough... At least for my wallet.

The thing is, that it comes without film holders. They seem to be easy enough to get hold of, I just don't know what to buy for this camera.

Should I buy holders for this specific camera or do they come in standard sizes?

Hope someone here can help me. Any advice is appreciated. And again, I am a total novice, so it's ok if you reply as if I'm an idiot, cos I many ways I am!

Thanks.

P.s The camera is a Thornton-Pickard 13x18 (Time & Inst)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leswick II Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Re: 13x18 Film Holder question?

I use 5x7 and that's close to 13x18.  I'd suggest you actually measure the space where the holder slides into (length and width).  Some cameras have been modified to use one size or another (both ?).  If I understand correctly, the 13x18 is more of a Euro thing, but I see both, the 5x7 and 13x18 film holders on the epay.

AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,934

That almost certainly had specific plate holders which will no longer be available. 13x18cm is a film size that probably hasn't been available for decades. The nearest I've ever seen was 7x5 inches.

That camera is of no value except as decoration unless you are capable and prepared to hand build film holders for 5x4.

If you really want to shoot cut film I suggest you look for a more modern camera that takes standard universal back double dark slides.

-- hide signature --

Albert the lazy photographer
Having fun with my cameras in Scotland

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
OP jacklindr New Member • Posts: 18

Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll try measuring it and see if I can get something that fits.

Thanks for the reply. 13x18 film should be available.

But first step is the holder

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 23,896

If you haven't bought it yet, hold off until you find a similar camera that does come with plate holders.

If you have bought it, you could scour the antique shops to try to find suitable Thornton-Pickard holders, or make your own, or sell the camera and buy a different, more usable model.

That one, beautiful as it is, is really an antique rather than a working camera.

I don't think anyone is manufacturing plates today. The last time I used plates was in the late 1960s.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 23,896

jacklindr wrote:

Maybe it should be, but is it ?

Tony10 Regular Member • Posts: 144

Do you want to get into large format photography or is it more about using this camera? I say this as there are plenty of 5x4 view cameras for sale online at very reasonable prices. Aside from being easier finding double film holders you'll have more options for lenses and from a development side you'll find plenty of 5x4 T Tanks and film hangers online.

Thanks for the reply.

You can get modern-ish 13x18 film holders. Just not sure they will fit this camera. You can even get 13x18 plates for tintypes

But I'll look for old Thornton-Pickard Film holders

D Cox wrote:

jacklindr wrote:

Maybe it should be, but is it ?

'Should' as in 'according to the sites I can find that sell 13x18 film, but I have yet to buy some'-should
So, yes, I 'should' be able to get my hands on it.

Tony10 wrote:

Do you want to get into large format photography or is it more about using this camera? I say this as there are plenty of 5x4 view cameras for sale online at very reasonable prices. Aside from being easier finding double film holders you'll have more options for lenses and from a development side you'll find plenty of 5x4 T Tanks and film hangers online.

Well, it's a bit of both really. I was planning on starting with a 5x4 camera, (so thanks for the advice and confirming that was a good idea! ) Like you say, and according to the little research I managed to get done, it seems a lot easier the other sizes. Hope that made sense.

But I got this camera relatively cheap, so I'd love to get it to work. Maybe I'll end up selling it again, but I'll give it a shot first.

uncleskull Senior Member • Posts: 2,307

what a find!  Good luck finding holders so you can try out your new treasure.

I used to shoot with an 8 x 10 view camera.  No greater thrill than looking at 8 x 10 chromes.

-- hide signature --

unc
~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

uncleskull's gear list:uncleskull's gear list
Olympus E-10

uncleskull wrote:

what a find! Good luck finding holders so you can try out your new treasure.

I used to shoot with an 8 x 10 view camera. No greater thrill than looking at 8 x 10 chromes.

Thanks Uncle! I'm looking forward to it.

Also, 8x10! That's a big one!

Just Tim 4
Just Tim 4 Contributing Member • Posts: 663

Very nice though the camera is I must warn you about just how much of a pain in the butt these old cameras are to use. Here is one of the same age that I own and have used:

Marion and Co *Perfection* circa 1898-1902

With regards to parts the dark slides were not standard at this time and are brand or even camera specific. At the age of the camera they were generally made for glass plates rather than sheet film and though the conversion is simple, (a cut film holder that neatly fits into the glass plate holder), it still needs to be done. What is important is that the film sits in the same position as the ground glass so you're actually focusing where the film will be. I bought mine complete with dark slides, 3 of which had already been converted to sheet film.

Tripod mounts of the time were generally quite different to what we use today so again a modification may be needed.

The actual movements, (I see yours has shift in both directions and tilt on the rear standard), are a pain to set up and adjust. With the older and slower emulsions and with the *expectations of the time* this was not a problem, but with the faster and better modern emulsions and with *current expectations* of image quality I can't stress how fiddly these things are to set up and use. Seriously the ability of my Linhof to zero the movements with precision and adjust them is a big step forward!

The other main drawback, and why I don't use it anymore, is that the odd film size requires a darkroom to develop. 5"x 4" can be done in a daylight tank that requires nothing more than a light tight changing bag, a MOD54 tank and a scanner, (if you're looking for a hybrid process). This is a serious saving of money over a full wet process which will require an enlarger capable of the format, (and often requires custom made film holders as well). Also be aware that the availability of film will be directly proportional to the demand, sizes that aren't used will become obsolete.

If you want a cheaper way into LF film then a working Speed Graphic with a standard Graflok back is or similar is a far easier and ultimately cheaper option.

I use a Linhof Technica IV from 1958 and it's a joy to use compared to the *Perfection*.

Marion and Co Perfection

Linhof Technika IV

Thanks a lot for the long reply. A lot of useful information.

Oh and beautiful photos!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads