Bought into Panasonic

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
neile2010
neile2010 New Member • Posts: 15
Bought into Panasonic

I sold my Nikon camera D610 and 24-120 , and have done plenty of research , and for myself the best camera kit and set was Panasonic. I am now the proud owner of G9 Leica 12-60 lens and battery grip. I have taken advantage of a good promotion (UK) by Panasonic, new system costing £1299.oo

I have compared systems and in my view, this camera is one of the most under rated and possibly overlooked cameras on the market, any others taken advantage of this offer...

i am really pleased with it so far.....

Neil

neile2010's gear list:neile2010's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,211
Re: Bought into Panasonic

Great starting point for the system Neil, good luck with your new kit.

Perhaps my favorite m4/3 aspect is ten years in, we have such a great array of lenses, and that's before considering adapted glass. There's ample room for growth for just about any type of photography imaginable.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,776

...yep I got the GH5 + PL 12-60mm a while back, a great do-everything package that is now my go-to camera and lens combo.

Curiously the G9 with the PL 12-60 is currently selling for slightly less than the GH5, anyway I'm v.glad with my choice. The output reminds me of 35mm film, yes there's grain visible even at low ISOs, but I quite like that!

Also the 4:3 ratio pairs well with my GFX 50S.

/

We look forward to seeing some photos with your new camera!

BTW, I now use these on all my cameras, as I don't like neck straps (or slings etc), prefer total freedom to place a camera wherever my hand can get to - even over the edge of buildings and boats etc...

https://joby.com/uk-en/dslr-wrist-strap-jb01271-pww/

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,265

neile2010 wrote:

I sold my Nikon camera D610 and 24-120 , and have done plenty of research , and for myself the best camera kit and set was Panasonic. I am now the proud owner of G9 Leica 12-60 lens and battery grip. I have taken advantage of a good promotion (UK) by Panasonic, new system costing £1299.oo

I have compared systems and in my view, this camera is one of the most under rated and possibly overlooked cameras on the market, any others taken advantage of this offer...

Neil

Why did you do that ... too large and heavy?

Jozef

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
mcavoy New Member • Posts: 19

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

I did the same just recently.  I have the G9 paired w/a Oly Pro 12-40 f/2.8.  I came from APS-C (Pentax K3).  I just saw which way the winds were blowing and decided to make the jump now.  That's not to say I think the DSLR market as we know it is dead.  It will soldier on for some time - and for good reason.  But I think a tipping point is inevitable so I'm not gonna fight it.  It's still very early and I'm going to be spending the next few weeks fully familiarizing myself w/the Panasonic's controls and menu system.  But first impressions are very positive.  I had been considering the Oly E-M1II but I am a fan of the top panel LCD on the G9.  Not that I couldn't get a long without one but I am used to having one there with not only the K3 but years ago also w/a Canon 40D.  And the Oly Pro 12-40 is a thing of beauty.  So build quality for both is super solid.  Looking forward to getting out for some weekend shoots.

spschneer Junior Member • Posts: 46

Chalk up another one...I sold my Nikon D7200(DX-APS-c), 18-300, 35-f/1.8. Nikkors and got a G9 with 25/1.7 for starters.  I am in the process of getting a Panasonic 14-140 for my walk-around lens. I mainly shoot when on travels so the longer zoom range allows me to carry just one lens instead of several. My main reason was the weight and bulk of the Nikon and lenses.  The Panasonic is a lot smaller and lighter to carry around.

I am thinking of a wide-angle (7-18?) as a building interior lens.  I had a Tokina 11-16 for my Nikon and really liked its perspective on travels to historic buildings (castles, forts, etc).  I could get a really wide view while still being rectilinear.  I am looking for something similar in the M4/3 world (suggestions welcome).

Any suggestions welcome for alternative manuals/learning sources also...The Panasonic manuals are a bit "terse"...I learn better with an example or two...

S

spschneer's gear list:spschneer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F600 EXR Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,040

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

I too recently added the G9  and so far am loving it!

Welcome aboard!

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,830

I too have a G9 with Pana-Leica 12-60 and love it, having switched to m43 from Pentax APS-C. I still have some of my Pentax kit but it's mainly been gathering dust.

-- hide signature --
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,680

spschneer wrote:

I am thinking of a wide-angle (7-18?) as a building interior lens. I had a Tokina 11-16 for my Nikon and really liked its perspective on travels to historic buildings (castles, forts, etc). I could get a really wide view while still being rectilinear. I am looking for something similar in the M4/3 world (suggestions welcome).

There is the generally well-liked Pana 8-18... if you can stomach the price. Or the 7-14 lenses (smaller Pana, or Oly Pro) for an even wider rectilinear view.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
neile2010
OP neile2010 New Member • Posts: 15

left eye wrote:

...yep I got the GH5 + PL 12-60mm a while back, a great do-everything package that is now my go-to camera and lens combo.

Curiously the G9 with the PL 12-60 is currently selling for slightly less than the GH5, anyway I'm v.glad with my choice. The output reminds me of 35mm film, yes there's grain visible even at low ISOs, but I quite like that!

/

BTW, I now use these on all my cameras, as I don't like neck straps (or slings etc), prefer total freedom to place a camera wherever my hand can get to - even over the edge of buildings and boats etc...

thanks for the link, as it happens, i have been looking for one of this kind .... thanks

neile2010
OP neile2010 New Member • Posts: 15

Jozef M wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

Jozef

Hi Jozef,  i have been Canon for 90% of my time with cameras, and a few years ago after a loss of interest, i changed completely from my 7D and L glass to olympus EM5 when that came out .... that system re-invented my love for taking photos.  After some time with that i went with fuji and the XT1, and again a beautiful set up. A problem with the XT1 seen me change to the Nikon, and although a lovely camera that it was, after having the smaller systems, i could not quite take to the camera, after a shutter count of 3k, i sold it, and looked to getting back to Mirrorless or M4/3.

after a lot of youtube and help from this forum and DP Review... My choice was the G9...

just a little back ground to my change..... i feel quite exited with my new purchase and think it trumps anything i have had in the past....  this just my take on it of course...

neil

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,412

spschneer wrote:

Chalk up another one...I sold my Nikon D7200(DX-APS-c), 18-300, 35-f/1.8. Nikkors and got a G9 with 25/1.7 for starters. I am in the process of getting a Panasonic 14-140 for my walk-around lens. I mainly shoot when on travels so the longer zoom range allows me to carry just one lens instead of several. My main reason was the weight and bulk of the Nikon and lenses. The Panasonic is a lot smaller and lighter to carry around.

I am thinking of a wide-angle (7-18?) as a building interior lens. I had a Tokina 11-16 for my Nikon and really liked its perspective on travels to historic buildings (castles, forts, etc). I could get a really wide view while still being rectilinear. I am looking for something similar in the M4/3 world (suggestions welcome).

To keep size and weight in check, the Panasonic 7~14 f/4. If size is not a concern, the Olympus 7~14 f/2 8. Both of similar IQ, one is faster.

If need filter, the Panasonic Leica 8~18, if on a budget, the Olympus 9~18.

I enjoy my Panasonic 7~14 which has the perfect size and weight for my traveling.

Any suggestions welcome for alternative manuals/learning sources also...The Panasonic manuals are a bit "terse"...I learn better with an example or two...

S

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
hifi
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,559

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

Welcome to the group!  The G9 is a great camera (as you are discovering).  I fully agree, that it is very under rated.  Its capabilities are great!

Also welcome to the others that have ventured over to the m43 camp, good to see people migrating over.  The benefits of the m43 system are numerous.

Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

I love the PL 12-60, once you start to use it you will see how sharp the images are. I notice down this thread that someone mention more noise in the images!!! I`m not seeing that from my G9

Dave

-- hide signature --
 Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +9 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,265

neile2010 wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

Neil

Jozef

Hi Jozef, i have been Canon for 90% of my time with cameras, and a few years ago after a loss of interest, i changed completely from my 7D and L glass to olympus EM5 when that came out .... that system re-invented my love for taking photos. After some time with that i went with fuji and the XT1, and again a beautiful set up. A problem with the XT1 seen me change to the Nikon, and although a lovely camera that it was, after having the smaller systems, i could not quite take to the camera, after a shutter count of 3k, i sold it, and looked to getting back to Mirrorless or M4/3.

after a lot of youtube and help from this forum and DP Review... My choice was the G9...

just a little back ground to my change..... i feel quite exited with my new purchase and think it trumps anything i have had in the past.... this just my take on it of course...

neil

Ok, Neil, I understand ...
Maybe some tips, buy a good fast prime too, like the Leica 25mm f1/4, for low light and very good IQ, use raw and develop with DxO Photolab 2, and with good light, don't be afraid using iso100 (it has more DR).
You will be amazed.

Jozef.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,776

neile2010 wrote:

left eye wrote:

/

thanks for the link, as it happens, i have been looking for one of this kind .... thanks

...ok, it's the best wrist strap I've come across, the slip-lock action works well, it's soft, subtle, strong, and no sharp parts to scratch your camera. Far better than leather versions (which are harder, often have thinner weaker nylon lug attachments, & often have sharp metal parts etc).

I 100% recommend it, I even have one on my £9000 Fujifilm GFX.

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,697

Hello Mike Shellim. I know of you as a pylon racer and excellent photographer when when I lived not far from the Hole of Horcom. I was a regular watcher when a comp was on, and a flyer when you stars were not there. Welcome to mft forum. If you do as well with mft as you did with your Pentax, I look forward to more excellent model flying images.

Ken Croft, ex-pat now living in S W France.

SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,638

The G9 is the best handling camera I've ever used. Ergonomics are, of course, very idiosyncratic. But I find the grip on the G9 really comfortable and confident, the buttons and dials are well placed and have good feel (took a little to get used to the light press of the shutter release). It starts fast, focuses fast, shoots fast, and the EVF is a real pleasure to use. Obviously no camera is perfect and I've certainly never even seen, much less used, most of the available bodies. But the G9 just makes me want to pick it up and use it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads