Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 124
Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

Hello folks,

You can take a look at my gear list to see what other lenses I already have. One of the things I like to do is just walk around and take pictures of random objects. (No people pictures, though). I have only been at this a few months, but I realized a few things:

1) I don't like using primes

2) My walk-arounds extend into the evening when the sky turns a dark blue

3) When the lighting becomes poor, if I don't have at least F2.8, then I give up and go home.

4) I don't have much experience using focal lengths of 40-100mm in poor lighting

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure.  But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

So my question is what type of pictures do you take in this focal range under poor lighting conditions, and using the big aperture? For any instances when the lighting is good, I would just use the 14-140 instead.

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of switching lenses, especially for "the walk-around", so I wonder if the 35-100mm will be too limiting.

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,866
Re: Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

bokemon wrote:

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of switching lenses, especially for "the walk-around", so I wonder if the 35-100mm will be too limiting.

I love my 35-100/2.8 but the range is somewhat limiting.  It's certainly not my most-used lens.  As for changing lenses, sure, it's a PITA sometimes but I mitigate that by carrying 2 bodies (m43's compact sized bodies makes that a painless thing to do).

Stefandreas Regular Member • Posts: 226

I use it as only lens for night drives on safari  in Africa.  Best compromise for 100 mm I know.  2,8 sounds good but it leaves you at 3.200 or 6.400 most of the time.

Leopard, Sabi Sands, South Africa:

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 1,861

I don't just look at whether the lighting is poor. I also look at the minimum shutter speed I could get away with to avoid motion blur. I am more likely to need a fast aperture with a wide angle shot in poor lighting, and only the upcoming 10-25mm f1.7 is going to cover that base. So I settled for the PL 15mm f1.7 as the one prime lens to go with my various zooms for low light shots. I wish I didn't have to buy a prime for poor lighting shots, but I couldn't find any alternative solution.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,638

For myself this type of lens would mostly be used in Portrait and Wedding photography.. I have the original Oly 35-100 2.0 it is heavy but excellent for my work especially from 75 to 100 isolating subject from background with vey pleasing bokeh .. IF you shooting in low light 2.8 is stretching it I would go to a fixed lens and of course the best are the 1.2 lenses...

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,500

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

You can take a look at my gear list to see what other lenses I already have. One of the things I like to do is just walk around and take pictures of random objects. (No people pictures, though). I have only been at this a few months, but I realized a few things:

3) When the lighting becomes poor, if I don't have at least F2.8, then I give up and go home.

4) I don't have much experience using focal lengths of 40-100mm in poor lighting

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure. But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

I have both these lenses. I consider my options in choosing whether to carry just the 12-40.

So my question is what type of pictures do you take in this focal range under poor lighting conditions, and using the big aperture? For any instances when the lighting is good, I would just use the 14-140 instead.

The 35-100 is fast and accurate focusing using S-AF. I use it for wildlife including bees and butterflies for that reason. In the mountains I often carry both lenses, depending. It is also very sharp.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Jeff4500
Jeff4500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,710

I always had the Nikon versions of the 70/80-200mm but always wanted something shorter or longer, so having the 12-35 + 100-400 I skipped the f2.8 and got the 4/5.6 version in Panasonic. Pretty amazing lens for the $150 or so used. Very sharp, I get at least 5 stops with the Gx85/G9 and 4 with the Gx8 stabilization.

I am much more likely to get the Oly 12-100 but if I did wedding or ever did events the f2.8 and small size of the 35-100 would be my choice.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +6 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,197

Don't have the Lumix but do have the much larger 4/3 35-100/2.0. Don't use it as much as I once did since getting the 40-150 Pro, but still use it for portrait-fashion for its beautiful rendering and subject isolation, for stage/theater and occasionally, nighttime sports.

Unlike the Lumix it also takes 1.4 and 2.0 TCs.

Repeating myself--it's really big, larger than any m4/3 lens so not for everyone.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,230

I have that lens and the 12-40mm as well. Overall, it (the 35-100) is not my most used lens and frankly, I've thought of selling it. It does take good photos and is small enough that it's not a burden to "toss in the bag" and carry around. The range is just not that significant to me. Whenever I have it on one of my bodies, I wind up wanting to zoom wider reasonably soon so it comes off. A 12-100 f/2.8 would be a dream lens but that's probably not going to happen.

You might try the plastic fantastic 40-150mm which can be had for 100 bucks, less used. It's slow but will give you a sense of the limitations of the range, especially on the wide end. I keep one as a backup lens so it's not a total waste of money.

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,533

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure. But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

For someone who doesn't like using primes, you sure own some nice ones! 

Maybe what you meant is that you don't like using primes or changing lenses on walks. I too have the 12-40mm f/2.8, and it's my most used lens. For telephoto I own the older 45-200mm f/4-5.6 and I also have my Nikon with an 80-200mm f/2.8.

My Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 is actually up for sale right now, and soon my Nikon 300mm f/4 will be as well. I'm planning to replace both with the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 + MC-20... but I also really like the idea of the small and compact Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8.

Since you don't like changing lenses (at least not on walks), the 12-100mm f/4 might be your ideal lens. It's only 1 stop slower than what you want, and it has a stellar reputation for a zoom with such range. You already have the 14-140, but it's at f/5.6 by the long end.

Like you I enjoy taking shots of random things when I walk around (or bike around). I like using a telephoto for architectural details on buildings, or to compress telephoto landscapes and cityscapes. I love the idea of the relatively compact and light 35-100mm f/2.8 for this type of shooting, and I don't mind changing lenses on walks (I usually carry a few lenses with me, and sometimes even two camera bodies).  That said I know from carrying the 45-200mm that 100mm isn't always enough reach for me, and the 45-200mm isn't always a fast/bright enough lens for me. This is what is leading me towards the 40-150mm f/2.8 pro and MC-20, but the compromise there is that it's more to carry. I also take a lot of photos of my kids (including action shots) and some wildlife, so as a replacement for my much larger/heavier Nikon telephotos the 40-150mm f/2.8 is actually quite attractive to me. I can always carry the 45-200mm f/4-5.6 on days when I want something smaller and have enough light.

If you don't want to carry a larger/faster zoom you could always use a monopod or tripod as well, but again... that's more to carry.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 684

For travel, I take the Olympus 40-150 f4/5.6 AND a Sigma 60 f2.8. Both are small, sharp and light, and not a problem to carry. This way I get the extra (150) reach in the daytime and I have a fast and modest reach tele for evenings and shows etc.

Oh yes ... and the total cost for the two only comes to something like $300/350.  That's a bargain !

FWIW.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 +30 more
Mark Kaprielian
Mark Kaprielian Regular Member • Posts: 390

Hi

I use this lens at weddings where I'm just just a guest along with the  12-35 F 2.8.  Just two lenses for all around use good lighting or not so good.

Mark

Mark Kaprielian's gear list:Mark Kaprielian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
wiryawan
wiryawan Regular Member • Posts: 232

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

Hi Bokemon

My personal experience when it comes to 35-100 2.8 is that it's the best for event photography/video. Under low light circumstances, I usually took portraits and tried to get the "bokeh" thing to happen with the 35-100 2.8.

However, given that you don't take pictures of people as part of your walk around photography activity, I think you could find a subject then isolate it using the 35-100 2.8. Maybe try to find a background that has a lot of "bokeh balls" and try to find an angle to isolate the subject while exaggerating the bokeh balls.

I personally don't use 35-100 as a walk around lens. When I don't want to switch lens, 12-35 2.8 will always be my choice. Hope this helps

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Gary
ig: bejophotography
blog: http://bejo-photography,blogspot.com and http://www.youtube.com/user/bajigurwedangronde

wiryawan's gear list:wiryawan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Wingsfan
Wingsfan Regular Member • Posts: 246

Except in rare instances, I favor my fast zooms over primes as well. What I like about the Lumix 35-100 2.8 is it's very compact size. When I'm pushed for space, that's the lens or use for telephoto. I don't usually need the extra speed or separation of my fast primes.

If I have room to bring everything, I'll bring an Olympus 40-150 pro or Olympus 4/3 35-100 2.0.

I like the range of the Oly 2.8 pro, but it is pretty big and I don't always want to bring it everywhere, plus I have problems with the lens Hood mechanism breaking all the time. I love the 4/3 35-100 because of the rendering. It's an enormous lens but when I really want to get a great photo I bring that.

But really, what I find myself using more and more, especially with day trips with the family, is my zs100 or RX M6. These give me relatively fast lenses and zoom range that I can keep in my pocket. Overall IQ isn't the same, but for 13 x 19 or smaller, the differences are there but they're not significant for my needs.

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 +15 more
OP bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 124

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.  I went for another "walk-around" with the 14-140, and it seems that most of my pictures were <20mm and a few at the max of 140mm.   Either I zoom most of the way out to capture a "scene" or I go to max zoom to focus on some distant object.   I guess I need to practice more on this "subject separation" thing at intermediate zoom ranges.

One other thing that this lens could be good for is to slap on a close-up adapter to turn this into an intermediate range macro lens.  In this case, the good thing about the big aperture is that I can use faster shutter speeds for flowers swaying in the wind.

But overall, I think I won't use this lens enough to justify its high price.

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads