Canon lens IS working when adapted to MFT?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 167
Canon lens IS working when adapted to MFT?

I plan to acquire the CANON EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro USM Lens for using with Oly EM1II and EM5II and Metabones Smart adapter.

This lens is available with and without internal Image stabiization. The question is whether the lens' IS will work together with the Oly body (then it is certainly worth the extra price)...

Thanks for Info, Wolfgang

Architeuthis's gear list:Architeuthis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,000
Re: Canon lens IS working when adapted to MFT?

Architeuthis wrote:

I plan to acquire the CANON EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro USM Lens for using with Oly EM1II and EM5II and Metabones Smart adapter.

This lens is available with and without internal Image stabiization. The question is whether the lens' IS will work together with the Oly body (then it is certainly worth the extra price)...

None of my MFT-EF adapters support IS, but I believe the more expensive smart adapters do. I certainly wouldn't expect it to tie in with Olympus's IBIS, so you could end up with double correction...

Hopefully someone with relevant experience can advise

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,260

Architeuthis wrote:

I have the Canon EF 100/2.8L macro it is one of my favourite EF mount lenses and it adapts well to M4/3 - both as glassless and focal reduced.

With EF lenses very few don’t AF with Metabones adaption, many work quite well and a few seem delightful when adapted - I find that the 100/2.8L macro is one of them - add the 40/2.8 pancake and he 50/1.8 STM  - there are others so this little list is not exhaustive.

If I hold the lens to my ear after soft press I can hear the the IS system running. In fact this is was an issue mentioned on the M4/3 forum.  Ie: That it does not stop running.  I became curious and tried a few other combinations including Olympus 12-100/4.0 and Panasonic 35-100/2.8 - both on Panasonic bodies (these are native M4/3 mount connections) - their IS also both simply keep running after soft press.  I presume that this may be in order to stabilise the evf view - but I don’t know.  I waited a while but they did not time out - they might have timed out eventually but in any case my batteries don’t seem to deplete any quicker in an obvious way because of this phenomenon. When I switch off stabilisation on the lens there is no longer the very faint hum of the IS working.

As far as I know there is no handshake between lens IS and IBIS on adapted lenses or between different brand bodies.  Furthermore “I think” that the lens IS takes precedence.  In my own experience the lens IS has worked well and been to my satisfaction.  I think that you might be able to switch off EF lens stabilisation to use camera body IBIS - but I have done no serious testing and have done no more than fiddle about watching the various icons that show on the lcd.  I now forget my conclusions - probably as I have had no real issues with stabilisation.  I do know that when the Olympus 12-100/4.0 is on a Panasonic body it completely takes over the stabilisation function.  Luckily it is also very good as even when switched off on the lens the camera body stabilisation did not seem to be functioning.

This issue may be rectified in later Panasonic bodies as the Fn key on Olympus lenses now works on the G9 camera body.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OP Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 167

I thank you both for sharing experience and this valuable info.

I conclude that the additional lens IS is probably of no benefit, since it will likely not cooperate with the camera body. I should probably go for the unstabilized version...

Wolfgang

Architeuthis's gear list:Architeuthis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,260

Architeuthis wrote:

I thank you both for sharing experience and this valuable info.

I conclude that the additional lens IS is probably of no benefit, since it will likely not cooperate with the camera body. I should probably go for the unstabilized version...

Wolfgang

That is a good point Wolfgang. The only real issue is that the lens IS is actually designed for the lens itself. As far as I know a zoom lens in particular has the opportunity to vary its IS strength by the focal length in use.

Furthermore oem electronic zooms obviously do the same thing. But IBIS systems need to be set to a stabilisation level where there in no communication with the lens and with a zoom lens it is necessary to set a compromise stabilisation in IBIS when it is first mounted.

I used long Canon EF lenses with lens IS for years with no issues - in fact these lens stabilisation systems are still being used on dslr bodies today. I doubt if all these pro-shooters ever missed having IBIS.

But I am sure that the IBIS will cope and of course you are likely to get lens IS only with the stabilised lens.

I must note that when Olympus made their fine 300/4.0 lens for M4/3 they had to instal lens IS as well as apparently the amplitude of IBIS movement on their camera bodies was not considered enough to fully cope with such a long lens.

The other issue which may or not concern you is that the EF 100/2.8L is an internally focusing lens rated “L” by Canon and awarded their coveted “red ring”.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads