Canon M50 vs 80D natural and better green

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP ravi pratap Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: Canon M50 vs 80D natural and better green

sir, your pictures are nice and well exposed . I generally do not post process , raw or jpeg I like SOC pictures.  Here I like d80.  Thanks for seeing my POV.

sir, thanks for enlightened . But sir before deciding to buy a camera I read reviews check the EISA and TIPA awards and see pictures on Flickr and almost all the previous buys are exactly what I like . After my aging 700d and sx60 I was torn between m50 and 80d, m50 small and light and new yet pictures from 80d is more liking for my eyes. Thanks sir.

Sir I agree totally but I have closely seen almost all 11600 odd pictures taken from m50 and barely 10 worth a closer and second look. Seeing the small form and lightweight I was keen to buy m50 but the image quality is far behind 80d. Since I am upgrading from 700d .. video is good on m50. But i am for still image. Thank you.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,642

ravi pratap wrote:

Sir I agree totally but I have closely seen almost all 11600 odd pictures taken from m50 and barely 10 worth a closer and second look. Seeing the small form and lightweight I was keen to buy m50 but the image quality is far behind 80d. Since I am upgrading from 700d .. video is good on m50. But i am for still image. Thank you.

I have an M5, so I have never gone looking for photos from M50, but I am not sure I would agree with you.

Consider that the M50 with the quick poor 15-45mm kit lens is a significantly cheaper package, and thus (perhaps) bought more by relative amateurs than the 80D, which is more of an enthusiast camera, and often used with bigger and better (often L series) lens by photographers with more experience, which may also contribute to a slightly different standard of photography.

I have never owned a 80D, but rather a 70D when I got my M3, then M5, and then replaced the 70D with 6D ii. To be honest, I did not notice a significant difference in IQ with any of them. IMO almost any modern camera is capable of producing very high quality images (with the right lenses & settings), and often (certainly in my case) the weakest link is the person behind the viewfinder.

Yes, there are subtle differences in raw colour output etc as a result of different Digic versions (the sensor on 80D, M5, M6, M50 etc is essentially the same), but IMO they are not significant.

I think that saying that the M50 IQ is "far behind" 80D IQ is possibly over-playing it, but if that is your opinion, then you are certainly better off with a 80D, which undoubtedly a better and more capable camera - more for it's ergonomics and feature set than IQ IMO.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
KEG
KEG Senior Member • Posts: 2,961

The problem I see with using flickr is that flickr is pretty much dead, try 500px instead.

ravi pratap wrote:

Sir since I have not access to any camera for try before buy I hv to rely on reviews and flick photos and most of the time I get what I like by scanning photos on Flickr etc .It is a matter of personal preference that is why different brands sells with different picture and color styles. We come here for suggestion and guidance from veterans and experience photographer like you. Thank you sir !

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +14 more
KEG

You can't judge a camera without having used it.  This is the sad truth.

ravi pratap wrote:

I have doubts ,it may be due to digic 8 processor . I think processor and sensor combination has some sweet spot where pictures look best for that camera and any more twiking can change something make something better yet lowering other . I may not be correct but what I have observed.

-- hide signature --

KEG

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +14 more
KEG

This might be the reason, I wouldn't expect to find images of any 2018/2019 camera model in significant numbers on flickr...

https://gizmodo.com/flickr-is-going-to-delete-a-bunch-of-photos-back-up-you-1830177165

ravi pratap wrote:

There are only 11500 pictures taken by Canon M50 on Flickr whereas 80d has millions, are people not liking M50.

-- hide signature --

KEG

Sir, why buy a camera I mean here mirrorless just because it is light which cannot render colors naturally and have to struggle for hours to get desired pictures! Canon dubs its mirrorless as step up from mobile and blogger! Certainly canon mirrorless are not for serious photography nor canon is serious about mirrorless,  mirrorless is geared more towards video where it excel but the stills are not up the mark. I m clear about it and any canon DSLR is far better in still picture quality than mirrorless. Just for the sake of small one cannot compromise on photo quality. Soon that light weight crap will feel very heavy after unsatisfactory pictures and a heavy 80d feels light ! Canon does it deliberately or not  I do not know !

KEG

Please just stop.

The colours from M, M2, M3, M5, M6, M10, M50 and M100 are all out of box nice and they all offer:

• customizable picture styles
  • custom white balance
  • RAW support

Straight from Camera to my iphone. Zero post processing, the colours are 100% spot on

ravi pratap wrote:

Sir, why buy a camera I mean here mirrorless just because it is light which cannot render colors naturally and have to struggle for hours to get desired pictures! Canon dubs its mirrorless as step up from mobile and blogger! Certainly canon mirrorless are not for serious photography nor canon is serious about mirrorless, mirrorless is geared more towards video where it excel but the stills are not up the mark. I m clear about it and any canon DSLR is far better in still picture quality than mirrorless. Just for the sake of small one cannot compromise on photo quality. Soon that light weight crap will feel very heavy after unsatisfactory pictures and a heavy 80d feels light ! Canon does it deliberately or not I do not know !

-- hide signature --

KEG

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,108

KEG wrote:

Please just stop.

The colours from M, M2, M3, M5, M6, M10, M50 and M100 are all out of box nice and they all offer:

• customizable picture styles
  • custom white balance
  • RAW support

Straight from Camera to my iphone. Zero post processing, the colours are 100% spot on

ravi pratap wrote:

Sir, why buy a camera I mean here mirrorless just because it is light which cannot render colors naturally and have to struggle for hours to get desired pictures! Canon dubs its mirrorless as step up from mobile and blogger! Certainly canon mirrorless are not for serious photography nor canon is serious about mirrorless, mirrorless is geared more towards video where it excel but the stills are not up the mark. I m clear about it and any canon DSLR is far better in still picture quality than mirrorless. Just for the sake of small one cannot compromise on photo quality. Soon that light weight crap will feel very heavy after unsatisfactory pictures and a heavy 80d feels light ! Canon does it deliberately or not I do not know !

Keg I think it's white flag time. This guy is incredibly is so badly informed it ain't funny.Either that or we are being played big time by someone who's just  wasting our time.

ChrisFB Regular Member • Posts: 274

ravi pratap wrote:

I have been scanning photos taken with m50 and noticed that the green is somewhat weird and not like canon DSLR ,D80,700d etc. So decide to skip buying it.

If you think this, it is smart to skip the M50. Maybe you don’t like digic 8.

However, when you become slightly biased, the mind plays tricks on you sometimes. So, have a friend collect 20 good looking M50 picts and 20 80D’s, then do a blind test.

You can also change the color settings in camera if you do not like the defaults (I find them to be pleasing though).

btw: post processing can be simple: I often do a complete series in batch with DXO at the standard settings and the results are great. Less than 2 minutes work -apart from the computer processing in the back.

ChrisFB's gear list:ChrisFB's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +1 more

Yes, you are right , I will try and follow your suggestions, thank u.

toomix Forum Member • Posts: 53

ravi pratap wrote:

I have been scanning photos taken with m50 and noticed that the green is somewhat weird and not like canon DSLR ,D80,700d etc. So decide to skip buying it.

you have posted only few letters, I guess nothing important to read so I have skipped it

toomix's gear list:toomix's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M100 Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads