Canon M50 vs 80D natural and better green

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ravi pratap Regular Member • Posts: 284
Canon M50 vs 80D natural and better green

I have been scanning photos taken with m50 and noticed that the green is somewhat weird and not like canon DSLR ,D80,700d etc. So decide to skip buying it.

Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MyM3 Contributing Member • Posts: 933
Re: Canon M50 vs 80D natural and better green

Examples please !

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

OK thanks for letting me know.

Jura S Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

There are two auto white balance modes. AWB and AWBW plus white balance shift and bracket.

Photos can look exactly as from 80D or with a different color balance.

OP ravi pratap Regular Member • Posts: 284

What I have been seeing on Flickr, canon and many review sites for the last months  with hundreds of photos. Pictures look nice and sharp but colors are a bit different. Whereas 80d colors look  very nice to me in 99 percent of photos in similar sites.

I could not understand sir.

I have doubts ,it may be due to digic 8 processor .  I think processor and sensor combination has some sweet spot where pictures look best for that camera  and any more twiking can change something make something better yet lowering  other . I may not be correct but what I have observed.

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,023

ravi pratap wrote:

I have doubts ,it may be due to digic 8 processor . I think processor and sensor combination has some sweet spot where pictures look best for that camera and any more twiking can change something make something better yet lowering other . I may not be correct but what I have observed.

yes, you may not be correct in your "observations"

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

MyM3 Contributing Member • Posts: 933

ravi pratap wrote:

What I have been seeing on Flickr, canon and many review sites for the last months with hundreds of photos. Pictures look nice and sharp but colors are a bit different. Whereas 80d colors look very nice to me in 99 percent of photos in similar sites.

Still no examples (photos, links) ?

You should be very careful drawing conclusions like this based on sites like Flickr. Do you know what PictureStyles and settings was used? Do you know what the WB settings was? Do you know if it was jpeg from camera or processed RAW? Do you even know if the camera actually was an M50? Many Flickr-users are just lazy (or careless) and are dumping photos from any camera into gear specific groups. And some photos doesn't even have Exif info. Also some reviews (reviewers) can be so-so. Often they are not familiar with the camera and it's settings and sometimes they are not informing which settings was used, or the info is incomplete. I have seen this too many times, unfortunately.

ravi pratap wrote:

I could not understand sir.

I apologise .It was a light hearted remark to your I'm not getting an M50 comment without any supporting side by side comparison images outlining what you are unhappy about.

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,575
Color balance/tonality on different system cameras

OK - now where to begin, hmnnnnnnn - OK.

1.  As a matter of background info, different brand cameras tend to have slight color tonality differences - with some being much more noticeable, while others are more subtle.

2.  Take for instance the warm colors of Olympus cameras - yet much of that warmth comes from the red channels that are often tuned up a notch.  If you get the exposure right for example, then skin tones can look spot on.  However, if the exposure is not ideal, the red channels can turn skin colors a bit too warm (reddish, if you will).

3.  Fuji, OTOH, also has warm colors, however, their green channels can be predominant at times (don't get me wrong as I absolutely love Fuji gear) - this can show up in scenics where sometimes the greens are overwhelming, with the green showing up in hue tones that would normally not have greenish tint - again, exposure is important.

4.  Samsung cameras are a joy to use, but at times you have to watch the blue channels.

The reason I'm saying all of this is due to the fact that I find the Canon colors to often be spot-on.  Sure, if you're just using one brand camera - let's say in this case Canon only - it would be easy to periodically nit-pick color tonality.  However, it is only when you begin to compare colors from different system cameras, can you see the differences more readily than if shooting with one camera brand alone.  Now do note, my mentioning the several brands above is based on my actively using them - not mere speculation.  And look, I've owned or used extensively well over 170 different digital cameras since 1998 and I've seen the differences involved with all of them.

Now also keep in mind that there are so many factors involved when viewing images on line from different sites.  The variables concerned involve:

1.  Most folks post process their images differently, and if they don't, uploading images straight out of camera, is not always a good thing for a number of reasons.

2.  The differences in PC monitors vary across the spectrum, thus when folks are reviewing and/or post processing images, they will be influenced by what they see on their monitors - and some monitors are color calibrated, while others are not.

3.  Different sites can actually alter the tonality a bit - and I've experienced that first hand over the past 20 years.  It got so bad with some sites that I used to upload images to, that I've severed my ties with them.

So I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here) that you're OP was a bit premature here.  And if you are going to ask a question like this, you should really cite (download or post) samples of what you are talking about.  But remember the 3 variables I just mentioned with regards to some reasons why images may look different.

-- hide signature --

Have a great day...
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Samsung EX2F Fujifilm X20 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 +20 more
Re: Color balance/tonality on different system cameras

Respected sir, thank you for sharing your experience and the knowledge i gained from your long association with so many cameras.  I m novice and I decide what I see and pleasing to the eyes as most normal phototakers do , I m a phototaker certainly not photographer. I like canon 80d colors but tempted by canon M50 due to small size . Any suggestion if you have time .

Sir since I have not access to any camera for try before buy I hv to rely on reviews and flick photos and most of the time I get what I like by scanning photos on Flickr etc .It is a matter of personal preference that is why different brands sells with different picture and color styles.  We come here for suggestion and guidance from veterans and experience photographer like you. Thank you sir !

ravi pratap wrote:

Sir since I have not access to any camera for try before buy I hv to rely on reviews and flick photos and most of the time I get what I like by scanning photos on Flickr etc .It is a matter of personal preference that is why different brands sells with different picture and color styles. We come here for suggestion and guidance from veterans and experience photographer like you. Thank you sir !

OK thanks, now I understand what you were trying to say. I think it's a mistake to compare colour output by photos posted on Flickr as you don't really know for sure how the individuals concerned had their cameras set up or if their images had any processing applied. I tell you this much I've owned many Canon digital cameras dating back to around 2005 and the M50 is my favourite and I find the color out very pleasing . Good luck whatever you decide.

Anthony Milton Regular Member • Posts: 152

Just took these two photos out of my bedroom window, one with M50 other with 70D. Same lens

M50

70D

Anthony Milton's gear list:Anthony Milton's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,575
Suggestions are a very subjective thing...

As you well know, we all use our cameras differently.  Some shoot in JPG only and thus try to set their cameras for the best settings - but then that begs the question, "what are the best settings?"

Others (like myself) tend to shoot in RAW file format only, so we have more dynamic headroom (and adjustability) to our files.

For example - here are some M50 photos taken over the last year - taken with the either the 15-45 or the 18-150 lenses.

Tell me what you think of the color tonality of these images.  But keep in mind the following:

I always save my images in the expanded palette Adobe RGB color profile.  But where issues can arise is that if your monitor cannot handle the expanded color profile - because then the colors will appear muted (or kind of lack-luster).  On monitors that can display expanded color palettes, or have browsers that can handle the expanded color profiles, you'll see the colors as they were meant to be seen.

M50 with the 18-150 (at the full 150 MM which is equivalent to 240 MM focal reach)

15-45 kit lens

15-45 kit lens

15-45 kit lens

18-150 lens at 100 MM

-- hide signature --

Have a great day...
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Samsung EX2F Fujifilm X20 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 +20 more

There are only 11500 pictures taken by Canon M50 on Flickr whereas 80d has millions, are people not liking M50.

ravi pratap wrote:

There are only 11500 pictures taken by Canon M50 on Flickr whereas 80d has millions, are people not liking M50.

Canon DSLR's are more well established than their mirrorless systems and consequently have a much larger user base. The 80d was introduced about two years earlier than the M50. Quite frankly judging a cameras capabilities by the number of Flickr uploads is foolish and naive.

Abostogfo Junior Member • Posts: 30

Yes, Ravi, you're right to a certain extent! Take a look at the Image Quality section of dpreview's Canon eos m50 review. Read the jpeg section.

Even though it didn't comment on the green color, the green has less cyan and more yellow.

Although I'm a raw shooter, I found that I have to work a little harder to achieve the same look as my canon sl2 and sl1, but it's not insurmountable. You can still get that Canon color. See the link to my gallery:

https://mikek.smugmug.com/NYVessel/n-Dsz46j/

-- hide signature --

Talk is cheap. Theoretical geeky conjecture is even cheaper, and pixel-peeping is the cheapest!

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,505

ravi pratap wrote:

Is that a serious question, or tongue-in-cheek ?

80D launched in February 2016 and probably one of Canon's most popular DSLRs. I would think that in general Canon might sell many times for DSLRs than mirrorless ?

M50 launched in February 2018 and a bit of a niche model due to the small user base and limited EF-M lens selection.

80D has possibly out-sold M50 by a factor of 100, 1,000, maybe more ?

Not terribly surprising that there are a lot more 80D photos out there

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads