**Photo Challenge CIC 194 -- Summer **

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 186
Re: **Photo Challenge CIC 194 -- Summer **

ohaya wrote:

Just posted my first 2 pics, taken during our vacation in Duck, NC last week. These were taken with a Fuji XP130 (the Fuji waterproof camera), and I was surprised that I was able to get these, esp. the ones with the birds overhead. The XP130 was the only camera I took with us this time.

Sorry forgot the links:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169583701

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169583696

EDIT: I am confused though :(...

The Challenge page says Eligible is for any camera during the challenge period, but the FAQ page says that Eligible is for Canon camera during the challenge period.

I put the above 2 pics in the Eligible gallery.  I hope that is ok?

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T30
OP Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,873

ohaya wrote:

ohaya wrote:

Just posted my first 2 pics, taken during our vacation in Duck, NC last week. These were taken with a Fuji XP130 (the Fuji waterproof camera), and I was surprised that I was able to get these, esp. the ones with the birds overhead. The XP130 was the only camera I took with us this time.

Sorry forgot the links:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169583701

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169583696

EDIT: I am confused though :(...

The Challenge page says Eligible is for any camera during the challenge period, but the FAQ page says that Eligible is for Canon camera during the challenge period.

I put the above 2 pics in the Eligible gallery. I hope that is ok?

Jim

The FAQ page is outdated. Photos from any camera are accepted in both categories.

I'll go take a look at the FAQ  and give it an update.

Thanks for catching it.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
Re: Jumping into the water

aglake wrote:

This challenge started the weekend that I returned from summer vacation so my pictures have to go into the Exhibition category. For many reasons it is not good enough for the Eligilble category but I was struck by the joy that the girl had in jumping off the pier and grabbed the picture as I saw it.

https://pbase.com/image/169583457

Hi, and welcome to the challenge.

I like the shot you posted. Nice action capture.

But could you post a smaller version of it.

Your shot is 1,235,065 bytes big and 2000 x 2000 pixels.

As written in the initial post here, and probably lost in all the verbiage is : We strive for shots that are  300kb  in size, bit allow 500 kb for very shots with lots of small detail. You will also find that pixel sizes of 1000 px wide is generally enough, with 800 px being used commonly, esp for portrait framing. The photo then fits on smaller laptops without having to scroll.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D

ohaya wrote:

Great job. Welcome to the challenge.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
sparkey2
sparkey2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
My problem is.....

I've been so dang busy with work lately that I don't make it to this thread as often as I should and am flying blind at the pbase site.   Who knew, not me, that we had a new participant joining us. Welcome welcome welcome.  Please tell us more about yourself so we know more about you.

Again don't hesitate to ask questions because we are here to help and make your participation in the challenge fun and easy. Above and all don't get frustrated and give up just ask and one of us will help you. If you're lucky enough to win a challenge then we'll step in and offer you even more assistance in setting up the next gallery.  I made this blanket offer to any and all participants quite some time ago to get more challengers and the existing challengers to keep the good fight going.

Paul

Techo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,624

ohaya wrote:

Please add your "name" to these two shots. We like them both.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
Mr T ...

We are heading for Bar Harbor today on the Maine coast.

The weather service has issued a "beach hazard" warning:

BEACH HAZARD...THE WARM AIR TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 70S TO LOWER 80S MAY CAUSE PEOPLE TO UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGERS OF THE COLD WATER TEMPERATURES WHICH ARE CURRENTLY ONLY IN THE MID 50S.

I know that you would appreciate this, though your cold CA water is warmer than 50.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,667
Re: Mr T ...

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

We are heading for Bar Harbor today on the Maine coast.

The weather service has issued a "beach hazard" warning:

BEACH HAZARD...THE WARM AIR TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 70S TO LOWER 80S MAY CAUSE PEOPLE TO UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGERS OF THE COLD WATER TEMPERATURES WHICH ARE CURRENTLY ONLY IN THE MID 50S.

I know that you would appreciate this, though your cold CA water is warmer than 50.

I invite any of you to polar plunge.  I have done so above 75 degrees north and below 65 degrees south.  Antarctica's 29F waters were noticeably colder than Svalbard's 33F.  A warm shower soon afterward was welcomed at both.  Rest assured I was in and out quickly!  A similar strategy can be applied in Maine.  I have heard of people actually swimming in such temperatures.  I will leave that to them.  Hats off to Traveler for his fortitude.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
ohaya

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

ohaya wrote:

Please add your "name" to these two shots. We like them both.

Hi,

Ok, I think I added that... correctly, I hope.

Re. sparkey2's comment:

Ok, I actually have been on DPReview awhile, but not active until recently, since I started getting into Canon gear.

Long time photographer (film), way-back when, shooting mostly Pentax and field cameras (weddings), then stopped for many years.  Then started back with digital a few years ago, starting with Pentax DSLRs, then in M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic).

Then  moved to Fuji X, mostly because I love the colors) and while I was doing that, I got a couple of Canon zoom lenses and used them with Fuji X-T2 via a Fringer adapter.  We have been spending part of the year "trying" to shoot mostly surfing (with Fuji).

Then, most recently I was curious how those Canon lenses do natively on Canon cameras, so I just got a refurb 80D a couple of weeks ago, and I think that this year, we will be carrying both my Fuji (now an X-T2 and an X-T30) equipment and the 80D and Canon lenses, plus a Canon-mount Tamron 150-600mm G2 and see how they compare (I have been DYING waiting for the chance to try them!).

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,667

Surfing plus your handle makes me wonder whether you are a in Hawaii.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
ohaya

Dave wrote:

Surfing plus your handle makes me wonder whether you are a in Hawaii.

"Close" :)!!

We are originally from Hawaii, but are now on the east coast U.S.A., but I get to work out of Hawaii for several months each year...

ohaya wrote:

Then moved to Fuji X, mostly because I love the colors) and while I was doing that, I got a couple of Canon zoom lenses and used them with Fuji X-T2 via a Fringer adapter. We have been spending part of the year "trying" to shoot mostly surfing (with Fuji).

Then, most recently I was curious how those Canon lenses do natively on Canon cameras, so I just got a refurb 80D a couple of weeks ago, and I think that this year, we will be carrying both my Fuji (now an X-T2 and an X-T30) equipment and the 80D and Canon lenses, plus a Canon-mount Tamron 150-600mm G2 and see how they compare (I have been DYING waiting for the chance to try them!).

Now this sounds like a great and fun project.

I have an 80D and love it for its versatility. I have a few real nice Canon lenses, and a couple of Tamrons. I have the latest Tamron 16-300 which is my "walk about" lens. I find it pretty decent, but not as sharp as the best Canons I have. But I still use it a lot - size and range are too much to give up. And most of my shots are "so so " anyway, so a better lens would not make a lot of difference.

Keep us informed of the results of these comparisons.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D
aglake
aglake Regular Member • Posts: 246

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

But could you post a smaller version of it.

Your shot is 1,235,065 bytes big and 2000 x 2000 pixels.

As written in the initial post here, and probably lost in all the verbiage is : We strive for shots that are 300kb in size, bit allow 500 kb for very shots with lots of small detail. You will also find that pixel sizes of 1000 px wide is generally enough, with 800 px being used commonly, esp for portrait framing. The photo then fits on smaller laptops without having to scroll.

Thanks.

Atlthough it doesn't look like it, I actually did read the instructions and created a smaller version for the challenge. The I went and uploaded the wrong version.  Can I just delete the existing picture and upload the correct size picture?  (800x800 246KB)

aglake's gear list:aglake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Traveller Veteran Member • Posts: 5,858
I'm writing to you Right now, See Below..nt

Traveller

Calling aglake and ohaya....

....first as to Ms. aglake...yes, you can upload a substitute image at any time...go, Edit Original image, get Pbase page, go to bottom and there is an upload and replace button that is quite easy.

As to your image, 800x800 for the original is exactly right....I have one over in pending here:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589521

But then I saw what a great horizon this image has...which is rare enough, and in so seeing, I think I saw a different crop...sized 1000x770.

I (personally) try to go as large as possible on my 24 inch screen...so I generally try to keep the height to 800 pixels or less...so standard image is 1200x800 for me, or, for various reasons, variations between 1000 with and 1200 for width as long as height doesn't go over 800....panoramas I go 15~1600 because the height in never really a problem with panoramas.

So here is my crop, with the pier gone:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589522

Mr. Ohaya's image size presents a much more difficult problem conceptually....being oversized forces the birds to appear telephoto...like a zoom in from being oversized...an effect that I liked.

Still, if a tighter image is to be achieved, via crop, this is for Mr. Ohaya to decide. Here is the image properly sized (in my estimation) at 1100x825....also, of course, not changed, but in Pending.

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589523

What the heck, I went ahead and did a tighter crop....sorry....;>}}

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589536

Best Wishes, Traveller

Summer Transportation, Sunset Blvd.

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589541

I was too lazy to go to my car and retrieve my real camera, so shot with my inexpensive cell phone. Still, not too terrible. But it does have meaning for me, so why not....

Traveller

Calling Dave Re Icy Water

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-49210502/bathing-in-ice-gives-me-a-natural-high

Yikes!

As you know, I  can do low 60's, F, without a wetsuit....otherwise not so much...lol

Traveller

aglake

I've updated the picture to the size that it should be.

Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
aglake
Re: Calling aglake and ohaya....

Traveller wrote:

....first as to Ms. aglake...yes, you can upload a substitute image at any time...go, Edit Original image, get Pbase page, go to bottom and there is an upload and replace button that is quite easy.

As to your image, 800x800 for the original is exactly right....I have one over in pending here:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589521

But then I saw what a great horizon this image has...which is rare enough, and in so seeing, I think I saw a different crop...sized 1000x770.

I (personally) try to go as large as possible on my 24 inch screen...so I generally try to keep the height to 800 pixels or less...so standard image is 1200x800 for me, or, for various reasons, variations between 1000 with and 1200 for width as long as height doesn't go over 800....panoramas I go 15~1600 because the height in never really a problem with panoramas.

So here is my crop, with the pier gone:

https://pbase.com/cichallenge/image/169589522

After looking at both images, I went back to my original idea.  To my mind, the little bit of pier gives the photo some context that it needs.  But thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

(I think that you got your pronouns mixed. While Ms describes the subject of the photograph, it is not as accurate for the photographer.   )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads