After 4 years, I'm back

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,514
After 4 years, I'm back

Four years ago, I sold my 70D and lenses and made do with a Panasonic FZ1000.  However, in spite of having the ability to use its built-in flash as the commander for off camera remote flashes,  it never measured up in portrait and group shots with a pair of older Olympus FL36R flashes.  That's a fairly important activity for me and the extended family.

And so, I have sold the FZ1000 and flashes and ordered a clean used 70D with the 18-135 STM kit lens, and a single 430EX II flash.  That's a start on rebuilding my DSLR system.  A second flash and at least two more lenses are on my list.

Why not a mirrorless?  Well, the FZ1000 and all my P&S models are mirrorless; they just don't have interchangeable lenses.

A brief pause here, FedEx just delivered my camera.  I looked it over, and it is very clean, and while the battery is charging, I'll finish this.  To tell the truth, I missed having a DSLR.  I've had a film SLR from 1967 until 2005, and moved into a DSLR with a 20D in 2005 or 2006.  I've had Nikons (a D90, hated it); Sony (an SLT-57, hated that); and keep coming back to Canons.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Nikon D90 Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,065
Re: After 4 years, I'm back

yeah, i do notice disgruntled canon users jump ship from time to time until they see how good they had it with canon and come back welcome back, Gerald!

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

OP GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,514

Yes, if you get all caught up in the numbers and features it's easy to see the grass is greener in the other fellow's yard.  My first Canon SLR was the Elan 7n.  A nice enough camera; but the Nikon N80 was actually a better camera.  However, once into DSLR's, it seemed Nikon had lost their way.  At that point I was sold on Canons and got the 20D.

I'm in my 80's now, and we're not traveling nearly as much.  It was our cruises and land trips that got me to buy the FZ1000, as it was lighter and a lot more compact than a 70D kit with a couple of lenses.  But even that was getting a little bulky and heavy; so I went to a Canon G7X II, and a Panasonic FZ200 if I needed a long lens.  It was actually the flash that brought me back.

The Canon stuff wins on color and a much wider range Auto White Balance.  The Nikon D90 was particularly bad at getting the WB right, and that spoiled a number of shots for me..  I think too much is made of the number of pixels these days.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 70D
Ken53 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138

Welcome back.

I have a question. I have owned a 70D almost since it's infancy but have been tempted to upgrade to the 80D refurbished from Canon's store when seeing it's great low prices lately. Why did you choose the 70D while passing on the 80D?

Ken53's gear list:Ken53's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,293

GeraldW wrote:

And so, I have sold the FZ1000 and flashes and ordered a clean used 70D with the 18-135 STM kit lens,

why not a 80D? Much more dynamic range image sensor and much better autofocus. Plus it has movie servo.

Having owned one, I was pretty familiar with it.  So familiarity is one factor.

The 80D has some additional features; but I specifically wanted to avoid the DIGIC 6 processor.   In the G7X, G16, and S120, the results show lower contrast in flat light than with the DIGIC 5 and Digic 7 processors.  This seemed to be confirmed looking at images from the 70D and 80D on the review sites with comparitors.  A while back, I did order a refurbed 80D and wasn't crazy about it.  With a 24 MP sensor, noise is a bit higher.

I also noted that Canon refurbed 70D's bring higher prices than 80D's and sell out quicker.

You might also wonder why I didn't opt for a mirrorless camera.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Ken53 Senior Member • Posts: 2,138

GeraldW wrote:

Having owned one, I was pretty familiar with it. So familiarity is one factor.

The 80D has some additional features; but I specifically wanted to avoid the DIGIC 6 processor. In the G7X, G16, and S120, the results show lower contrast in flat light than with the DIGIC 5 and Digic 7 processors. This seemed to be confirmed looking at images from the 70D and 80D on the review sites with comparitors. A while back, I did order a refurbed 80D and wasn't crazy about it. With a 24 MP sensor, noise is a bit higher.

I also noted that Canon refurbed 70D's bring higher prices than 80D's and sell out quicker.

You might also wonder why I didn't opt for a mirrorless camera.

Thanks Jerry

I can see what you are saying now that you brought it to my attention. I frequent sites with side by side samples for similar reasons. You helped me out on this one, so a big thanks for the thoughtful insight and advice.

Have a nice day.

Ken

Ken53's gear list:Ken53's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
HumanTarget Senior Member • Posts: 1,695

GeraldW wrote:

With a 24 MP sensor, noise is a bit higher.

While the 70D does have a noise advantage at high ISO settings (over 800), it's got nothing to do with 24MP vs 20MP (which is a miniscule difference anyhow); the 80D just has a different design, with significantly lower noise at low ISOs:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review/12

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,392

GeraldW wrote:

Four years ago, I sold my 70D and lenses and made do with a Panasonic FZ1000 ...

Congrats on getting back with DSLR.

I also got the FZ100 to 'supplement' my DSLR's with a single camera/ lens option for a lightweight travel/ general camera.

Prior to the FZ1000 my travel/ general camera setup was the 70D w/ 15-85mm IS and the 60D w/ 55-250mm IS STM.

Knew the FZ1000 could not completely replace my DSLR's due to the amount of low lighting shooting I do (i.e., 3200-6400+ ISO w/ f/4 L lenses) and did not want to forgo the additional FOV my 10-20mm lens provides.

Been times I've taken my 70D w/ 10-20mm with FZ1000 when I knew I may want/ need 10-20mm additional FOV.

Your comments on the 80D were interesting, and imagine more applicable to JPG shooters than those (like myself) that mainly shoot RAW that can take advantage of the 80D's higher sensor scores.

DxO Sensor Scores

I could not resist the recent Canon Refurb 80D with 18-55mm IS STM and the 55-250mm IS STM Kit for the $692.99.

Did not need the lenses but the Refurb 80D Body only was more, plus figured the lenses could help in getting better price for my 70D with the lenses.

Or just might give the 70D and the lenses to my grandson.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +18 more

I kind of had to laugh a little when I remembered Ricoh's comment that they thought many mirrorless users would return to DSLR's.  Well, I'm one of them.

I mainly use JPEGs and have had very good results editing those with selected editors.

I'm also not missing IBIS.  For one thing, I don't do video, and for another I want to see the effects of IS at work.  I briefly had a Sony SLT-57, and the IBIS did not allow me to see the effects of IS in real time.  It drove me nuts.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads