Anyone want a 500mm PF ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
itsmehere
itsmehere Junior Member • Posts: 33
Anyone want a 500mm PF ?

There is one for sale on Amazon uk. A little over priced imo but if you're desperate for one then it might be a good deal. I nearly pressed the buy it now button but I'm waiting for a Nikon UK version to become available

Link -https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSJQXRM/?coliid=I3BMLR5B3ZDCKB&colid=5N6NJW6PAB4Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4s, Nikon D500 + some nice glass !!

jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Anyone want a 500mm PF ?

Yes, I want one but not enough to pay someone above the already expensive list price for the lens.  Sooner or later Nikon will catch up and they will become as commonly available as the D850 has become.  Remember when D850 was scarce and people were selling them for hundreds above list price?  Now they are being marked down during "sale" periods.

Jeff

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
Peter3579 Contributing Member • Posts: 501

It's gone now.

How much was it?

Peter3579's gear list:Peter3579's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
itsmehere
OP itsmehere Junior Member • Posts: 33

Peter3579 wrote:

It's gone now.

How much was it?

£3841 and pennies. Bit over priced and I think it was located in Germany so I passed on it.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4s, Nikon D500, Nikon Z7 + some nice glass !!

Wanchese Senior Member • Posts: 2,564

I just received a call from a regional camera shop in Raleigh, NC.  They had ordered the lens last October. So I'm thinking if they received one, the major retailers should have some in stock too.

-- hide signature --

YNWA

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D850 +9 more
itsmehere

I've just done my normal daily internet search for the 500mm PF and managed to find one in stock at Cambrian photo!!  Their web page is showing them in stock but after I placed my order they are now showing as 'out of stock' again so it looks like I got the last one. They say 3 to 5 day delivery so I'll believe it if & when it turns up.

-- hide signature --

Wanchese Senior Member • Posts: 2,564

You are smart to cross your fingers! I HAD one four months ago, but got ruined by time zones, debit card limits and an unaccessible email address. Good luck....

-- hide signature --

YNWA

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D850 +9 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,740

itsmehere wrote:

I've just done my normal daily internet search for the 500mm PF and managed to find one in stock at Cambrian photo!! Their web page is showing them in stock but after I placed my order they are now showing as 'out of stock' again so it looks like I got the last one. They say 3 to 5 day delivery so I'll believe it if & when it turns up.

Too late now - but you could have paid an extra £9.99 for overnight shipping - most likely tracked.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +25 more
S I Regular Member • Posts: 106

itsmehere wrote:

Peter3579 wrote:

It's gone now.

How much was it?

£3841 and pennies. Bit over priced and I think it was located in Germany so I passed on it.

That is actually my local camera store - often their own website shows MSRP and its a bit higher on amazon to offset fees.

itsmehere

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

itsmehere wrote:

I've just done my normal daily internet search for the 500mm PF and managed to find one in stock at Cambrian photo!! Their web page is showing them in stock but after I placed my order they are now showing as 'out of stock' again so it looks like I got the last one. They say 3 to 5 day delivery so I'll believe it if & when it turns up.

Too late now - but you could have paid an extra £9.99 for overnight shipping - most likely tracked.

Just had a call from Cambrian photo to ask if I'd like my 500PF lens delivered tomorrow morning for no extra charge!! Unfortunately we're off for a weekend break Sat morn so wont be home so they are sending it to me on Tuesday. Very impressed with the service from Cambrian photo so I recommend you contact them if you want one of these lenses and go on their waiting list

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

itsmehere wrote:

Just had a call from Cambrian photo to ask if I'd like my 500PF lens delivered tomorrow morning for no extra charge!! Unfortunately we're off for a weekend break Sat morn so wont be home so they are sending it to me on Tuesday. Very impressed with the service from Cambrian photo

I too have found them good to deal with.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

itsmehere

True to their word my 500PF was delivered this afternoon. Going to take a trip to a local wildlife centre on Thursday to try it out on my D500 & Z7 bodies. I’m off to Tanzania on safari in Sept and am taking my 300pf on the D500 & my 70-200f2.8 on my Z7 (at the moment but that can and has changed several times !!)  Now I’ve got to decide if I take the 500PF as well. First world problems eh !!

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

itsmehere wrote:

I’m off to Tanzania on safari in Sept and am taking my 300pf on the D500 & my 70-200f2.8 on my Z7 (at the moment but that can and has changed several times !!) Now I’ve got to decide if I take the 500PF as well.

You do not say if you have been to East Africa before, or which reserves you are visiting.

Your D500 in a soft pouch goes in a pocket of many camera waistcoats, leaving more space for lenses in your carry on (usually) back pack.

If you are keen on birds the 500 makes a lot of sense.

Based on 3 previous trips to Tanzania I suggest 300mm on DX is as long as you need for mammals if visiting the Crater and similar reserves.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

itsmehere

I like taking photos of birds but my main subject on this trip will be the big 5. I have still got to get my own ‘Leopard in a tree’ shot so the combination of the 70-200 & 300pf should hopefully do the trick if I’m presented with the opportunity !!

-- hide signature --

shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 732

itsmehere wrote:

True to their word my 500PF was delivered this afternoon. Going to take a trip to a local wildlife centre on Thursday to try it out on my D500 & Z7 bodies. I’m off to Tanzania on safari in Sept and am taking my 300pf on the D500 & my 70-200f2.8 on my Z7 (at the moment but that can and has changed several times !!) Now I’ve got to decide if I take the 500PF as well. First world problems eh !!

Congrats on the new 500mm PF.

I have been to East Africa twice, Kenya and Tanzania on separate trips, but those were 20 years ago. In 2016 I went to South Africa and Botswana. On the 2016 trip I had both the 80-400mm AF-S and 200-500mm AF-S. The trio: 500mm PF, 300mm PF and 70-200mm/f2.8 would be great for African wildlife, with the 500mm PF for birds and mammals farther away. Add a wide zoom for landscape and maybe a macro lens, and you'll be all set. I would definitely take two bodies, preferably three, to have some backup in case something fails. I have had the aperture diaphragm jammed in Kenya once. Therefore have 3 teles will be a plus.

I'll have my usual request: would you mind sharing the middle two digits of your 500mm PF's serial number, presumably 206?nn (or 207?nn). Some of us are tracking how many Nikon has shipped so far.

Thanks in advance.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
itsmehere

shuncheung wrote:

itsmehere wrote:

True to their word my 500PF was delivered this afternoon. Going to take a trip to a local wildlife centre on Thursday to try it out on my D500 & Z7 bodies. I’m off to Tanzania on safari in Sept and am taking my 300pf on the D500 & my 70-200f2.8 on my Z7 (at the moment but that can and has changed several times !!) Now I’ve got to decide if I take the 500PF as well. First world problems eh !!

Congrats on the new 500mm PF.

I have been to East Africa twice, Kenya and Tanzania on separate trips, but those were 20 years ago. In 2016 I went to South Africa and Botswana. On the 2016 trip I had both the 80-400mm AF-S and 200-500mm AF-S. The trio: 500mm PF, 300mm PF and 70-200mm/f2.8 would be great for African wildlife, with the 500mm PF for birds and mammals farther away. Add a wide zoom for landscape and maybe a macro lens, and you'll be all set. I would definitely take two bodies, preferably three, to have some backup in case something fails. I have had the aperture diaphragm jammed in Kenya once. Therefore have 3 teles will be a plus.

I'll have my usual request: would you mind sharing the middle two digits of your 500mm PF's serial number, presumably 206?nn (or 207?nn). Some of us are tracking how many Nikon has shipped so far.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your advice re: my up coming Tanzania trip. I’ll be taking the 24-70 F4 that came with my Z7 so have a good range to work with.

The serial number of my 500pf is 208083

Leonard Shepherd

itsmehere wrote:

I like taking photos of birds but my main subject on this trip will be the big 5. I have still got to get my own ‘Leopard in a tree’ shot so the combination of the 70-200 & 300pf should hopefully do the trick if I’m presented with the opportunity !!

You ideally need the 500 for a leopard in a tree.

My logic is based on in most of the Tanzanian parks the drivers cannot go off road.

The nearest suitable tree may be 50 yards from where the driver can go, and leopards are relatively small - as in smaller than a Labrador dog.

For those who have not been to East Africa, there is a good chance of a driver getting within 5 yards of a much larger lion.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 732

itsmehere wrote:

Thank you for your advice re: my up coming Tanzania trip. I’ll be taking the 24-70 F4 that came with my Z7 so have a good range to work with.

The serial number of my 500pf is 208083

Since the D500 and Z7 can share batteries and XQD cards, that would be a good combo to take on long trips. Three teles (500 PF, 300 PF and 70-200/2.8) plus the 24-70mm/f4 S would be a great set of lenses for African safari.

Interesting 500 PF serial numbers has reached 2080nn. I still have the impression that its production has picked up pace in the last couple of months, and perhaps the waiting list a much shorter now, after almost a year.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads