A7R4 reviews?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 648
A7R4 reviews?

Reviews for A7R4 seem late coming. I'm sure I remember previous new body launches being followed immediately by "here's the camera I've been secretly testing for weeks" vids on YouTube. Not this time though. Did Sony keep it *more* secret than usual?

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Re: A7R4 reviews?

Beatsy wrote:

Reviews for A7R4 seem late coming. I'm sure I remember previous new body launches being followed immediately by "here's the camera I've been secretly testing for weeks" vids on YouTube. Not this time though. Did Sony keep it *more* secret than usual?

Good thought. There has been quite a bit from Ambassador but not the ‘general’ YouTube crowd. Perhaps it was not quite as ready with numbers of bodies.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550

Paul Barnard wrote:

Beatsy wrote:

Good thought. There has been quite a bit from Ambassador but not the ‘general’ YouTube crowd. Perhaps it was not quite as ready with numbers of bodies.

actually not that few

this time the used technology might be turning edge compare to previously where the sensor was available in the A7R II

Sony might be technologically limited this time.

I am happy to wait for real world tests with production models.

( even though I am very keen on seeing results )

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Hank Radt Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

joger wrote:

Me too, though your link and this one look pretty promising (zoom in to the left eye):

https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Alpha-A7R-IV-Mark-4-7376/highres/aa-DSC00028_1563292285.jpg

Selfishly, what I'd like to see is some shots with the 100-400, since I don't want to shell out $12k for either of the tele primes and the weight of the 200-600 is just too much for me to want to consider it, so, if I can crop significantly as Northrup's comparison suggests, I'll be one happy (though poorer...) boy.

Hank Radt's gear list:Hank Radt's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +8 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550

Hank Radt wrote:

joger wrote:

Me too, though your link and this one look pretty promising (zoom in to the left eye):

https://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Alpha-A7R-IV-Mark-4-7376/highres/aa-DSC00028_1563292285.jpg

bummer - the right eye is not in focus - what a c..p camera

Irony off

Selfishly, what I'd like to see is some shots with the 100-400, since I don't want to shell out $12k for either of the tele primes and the weight of the 200-600 is just too much for me to want to consider it, so, if I can crop significantly as Northrup's comparison suggests, I'll be one happy (though poorer...) boy.

The 100-400 zoom was never an option for me and I do hope we're going to see a size and weight optimized differential optics 400 .. 500 mm lens sooner or later.

The 200 .. 600 is on order and coming in hopefully before my summer vacation in a few weeks. ( I save the comparable small weight difference by not using a vertical grip )

( extremely promising lens - maybe the best ultra long tele option at this point in time at Sony )

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,649

joger wrote:

Hank Radt wrote:

joger wrote:

bummer - the right eye is not in focus - what a c..p camera

Irony off

The 100-400 zoom was never an option for me and I do hope we're going to see a size and weight optimized differential optics 400 .. 500 mm lens sooner or later.

The 200 .. 600 is on order and coming in hopefully before my summer vacation in a few weeks. ( I save the comparable small weight difference by not using a vertical grip )

( extremely promising lens - maybe the best ultra long tele option at this point in time at Sony )

A lot of us are thinking the same way. I do have the 200-600 on order but also already own the 100-400 and 1.4x teleconverter. So do I want 600mm at 24/42 Mpixels (A9/A7RIII) or 600mm at 27 Mpixels (A7RIV cropped). Maybe I want 900mm at 27 Mpixels?

Decisions, Decisions.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads