Help with GAS - small second camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
sigamy Junior Member • Posts: 45
Help with GAS - small second camera

My main camera is GH5.  I like to have a small second camera for street photography, walks in park or hiking.  Just general use.

have bought and sold many bodies and compacts looking for the perfect second body.

I really like the LX7, I’ve had a few but I think in 2019 I should have at least a 1” sensor.

so, I’m between the LX100 and LX10.  LX10 is more pocketable but no EVF.

LX100 isn’t pocketable but has EVF and MFT sensor.

what would you pick for a second camera for street shooting, snapshots and times when you don’t want to take your big camera?

Finally—is there any justification for owning both LX10 and LX100?

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
123dy Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Help with GAS - small second camera

Two years ago I was considering both these cameras as a replacement for my lx3 and in the end went with the lx100. The view finder was one reason, others were the filter thread and the flash mount. Also there was some criticism of the lx10s controls in the reviews.

I don't think you'd regret buying an lx100. I used mine happily for a year as my main camera. Nowadays though I prefer my zs200.

Cameraergonomics has in-depth reviews and set up advice on both cameras.

Anders_K Regular Member • Posts: 385

When you have a perfect right eye, select a camera with EVF. Otherwise you won't be happy with a little brick camera in bright light.

When your left eye is stronger, you'll really like a tilt display.

You might consider the upcoming Canon G5X Mark II too.

123dy Regular Member • Posts: 143

Interesting. I wear glasses and I find the view finder of the lx100 (and the zs200 for that matter) perfectly usable. I only resort to the monitor to cope with awkward angles.

With the lx3, which has no viewfinder, I would push the camera forward hard against the neckstrap to steady it and level it using a little hot shoe bubble level.

photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,513

I recently bought a second camera for street and chose the GX85 with the kit 12-32, it has become one of my favorite cameras. I haven't mastered all the features it has to offer yet.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Pentax K100D Super +28 more
edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 788

LX10 rather than the LX100?

I have an LX7; it is a little too thick for pants pocket.

LX10 vs LX7

LX100 vs LX10

edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 DxO Optics Pro Elite Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more
dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Have you considered the new Canon G5x ii? It is small and compact and also has a pop up EVF.

Regards, Dave

bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,843

I thought everyone would jump on the Sony RX100 vi. It's a superb camera, though it's expensive. I really love my Panny ZS200. People claim the lens is soft, but that hasn't been my experience at all. For me, the ZS200 is the perfect "go everywhere" camera. If you need ultra long zoom, look at the Canon SX740HS. It wouldn't fit into a jeans pocket, but it would fit nicely into the thigh pocket of cargo pants, or into a coat pocket.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,314

I disagree with you completely. I use a viewfinder because I don't have perfect eyes and would need glasses to use the screen.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,314

For me, the viewfinder (or lack of it) makes (made!) the decision easy - LX100 II.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
vallhall Senior Member • Posts: 1,039

Snapsh0t wrote:

I disagree with you completely. I use a viewfinder because I don't have perfect eyes and would need glasses to use the screen.

I use the EVF for the same reason as you!

vallhall's gear list:vallhall's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Samsung NX500 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
kh1234567890
kh1234567890 Contributing Member • Posts: 517

vallhall wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

I use the EVF for the same reason as you!

Me too ! 

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +15 more
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,681
Well,

I have the LX100 and I really like it.  However, I use my little Canon S120 just as much because it fits in my pocket - or I can hide it in my palm.

So - there - I'm no help.

FWIW I've bought and returned or sold (2) LX10, a G7X II and (3) RX100 because the lenses were just not acceptable.  My S120 made them all look bad.  The LX100 has a great lens.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
It's fun being me -- Denny Crane.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +4 more
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,895

sigamy wrote:My main camera is GH5. I like to have a small second camera for street photography, walks in park or hiking. Just general use.

have bought and sold many bodies and compacts looking for the perfect second body.

I really like the LX7, I’ve had a few but I think in 2019 I should have at least a 1” sensor.

so, I’m between the LX100 and LX10. LX10 is more pocketable but no EVF.

LX100 isn’t pocketable but has EVF and MFT sensor.

what would you pick for a second camera for street shooting, snapshots and times when you don’t want to take your big camera?

Finally—is there any justification for owning both LX10 and LX100?

I use ClearViewer accessories on my small cameras that lack inbuilt EVFs. They allow the screen to funcion as a virtual EVF to overcome the problems of a bright environment

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads