Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,686
Re: Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Are sensors with less resolution with bigger pixels really gone forever

I more than understand what you are saying. We live in a world with a mostly insecure Millenial generation that aways needs the last and greatest with larger numbers. You don't have to look any farther the current smartphone situation. No way are the masses going to be caught holding last year's phone number. As for the camera gear heads it's an addiction that they can't stop. They never get to know their current camera before trading up. But for people like us there will always lots of discarded older used models. I have friends that search for specific camera models not only because the liked using it but because of cohesion in their work. They grab up Nikon D300, Ricoh GRD1, Leica M9, and numerous others made in the mid 2000s. Use what you like and screw the camera market.

It’s not the millennials buying this stuff, it’s the boomers. The millennials can’t afford it.

why do folks always blame them?

Because that's who I see walking around with the latest gear, that's who the camera store owners are telling me who is buying it, and most of the boomers I see walking around New York City and Philadelphia are either still using film or using 5+ year old gear.

e

too busy paying off their mortgages and saving for their retirement.

Well this right here tells me you're not in the U.S.

People don’t have mortgages outside of the U.K.?

the millennials are not to blame for all of your perceived problems in photography....  outside of the fact that they are the children of the boomers,  and have gained any values from their parents...  the cold hard fact is that your micro economic behaviours are not nessecarily a reflection of the wider world,  and the boomers are as greedy and suspectible to market forces as anyone else,  plus on a macro scale,  they are wealthier than the following generations.   Even in the USA.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonephotography.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
MikePennPhoto
MikePennPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

I more than understand what you are saying. We live in a world with a mostly insecure Millenial generation that aways needs the last and greatest with larger numbers. You don't have to look any farther the current smartphone situation. No way are the masses going to be caught holding last year's phone number. As for the camera gear heads it's an addiction that they can't stop. They never get to know their current camera before trading up. But for people like us there will always lots of discarded older used models. I have friends that search for specific camera models not only because the liked using it but because of cohesion in their work. They grab up Nikon D300, Ricoh GRD1, Leica M9, and numerous others made in the mid 2000s. Use what you like and screw the camera market.

It’s not the millennials buying this stuff, it’s the boomers. The millennials can’t afford it.

Because that's who I see walking around with the latest gear, that's who the camera store owners are telling me who is buying it, and most of the boomers I see walking around New York City and Philadelphia are either still using film or using 5+ year old gear.

e

Up to 40% of that generation either never left home or moved back in some cities. Outside of those they mostly rent. Sounds like they're much more responsible in the UK.

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,446
Re: It's been that way for a long time...

stevo23 wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras.

You're stuck on need. Replace it with want.

I have always and will always want more resolution. Started with 35mm and then to 6x7 and finally moved up to 4x5 over time and it was amazing, loved what I could do with it. No different here - I'll always take more useable resolution.

Normal progression.  It is better to have more and not need it and need it and not have enough.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +9 more

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

Up to 40% of that generation either never left home or moved back in some cities. Outside of those they mostly rent. Sounds like they're much more responsible in the UK.

exactly.    How do you think they can afford all these new cameras,  when they can’t even afford a new home??

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Rob-in-Alberta Contributing Member • Posts: 513

I think Kaimon said it in his video. megapixels is an easily digestible number. more megapixels mean better right? 40 is better than 24 , easy to understand. Easy to market

like when the ipod came along and steve jobs said it holds 1 millions songs or something. 1million is better than 14 on a cd. easy

2nd step is you pay a bunch of pros to market your product and say how awesome more megapixels are and boom... you sell do amateurs who don’t need 60 mp, but want “pro” gear.

4k>1080p>720p etc.... easy. never mind all the file limits, flogs, crops, ... 95% irrelevant to a non enthusiast or pro videographer.

MikePennPhoto

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

exactly. How do you think they can afford all these new cameras, when they can’t even afford a new home??

Most can't because they can't control their spending or saddle themselves with college loans they have no idea how they'll pay off. Most have a strange sense on what they deserve instead of earning. In the end they ARE the ones that I see with the latest gear. Even a manager at B&H told me this.

Truman Prevatt wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras.

I have always and will always want more resolution. Started with 35mm and then to 6x7 and finally moved up to 4x5 over time and it was amazing, loved what I could do with it. No different here - I'll always take more useable resolution.

Normal progression. It is better to have more and not need it and need it and not have enough.

Its better still to have enough.      More than enough is not efficient or optimising value.

“Useable resolution”.    I’m curious to know how one “uses” a 180mb file.       As I mentioned earlier,   We regularly shoot billboards and bus backs (double decker full height images btw... ) and we output files of circa 40mb to do so...ergo...  we downsize off the 24mp camera.

-- hide signature --

gsz Regular Member • Posts: 112

Does resolution increase was so drastic in the past years? I don't think so...

- I got my first APS-C DLSR (EOS20D) in 2004, which had 8Mpix sensor (I believe the minimum required for serious photography)

- now, 15 years later we're at 26Mpix (APS-C size) - resolution has not even doubled (32Mpix would be the double of 8Mpix)...

Processing files - I can edit X-T3 RAW files without problem on my late-2012 MacMini (OK, with 16GB RAM and SSD...)

Storage is cheap, it's always possible to downscale pictures - what's the problem?

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

exactly. How do you think they can afford all these new cameras, when they can’t even afford a new home??

Most can't because they can't control their spending or saddle themselves with college loans they have no idea how they'll pay off. Most have a strange sense on what they deserve instead of earning. In the end they ARE the ones that I see with the latest gear. Even a manager at B&H told me this.

you hold a very negative view of your generations offspring.     It’s not accurate in my experience.

Of course the manager of b and h told you that btw... he’s a sales guy and he plays to your prejudices...

but go away and do some research.  This idea that millennials are feckless idiots is a gross misconception of the truth.       They are the product of the world you created,  no more no less,  and they are neither less no more feckless than previous generations,  but they are stuck with a far worse level of affordability for major assets such as homes,  than the boomers,  and far less job security.

-- hide signature --

Todd Jones
Todd Jones Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

My fantasy camera:

X-T3 with all of Fujifilm's mirrorless goodness inside except for my old Nikon D700 12mp full frame sensor and Leica quality and size lenses. done. Please? 🤗

-- hide signature --

Todd
I'm His, John 6:44

Todd Jones's gear list:Todd Jones's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +1 more
MikePennPhoto

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

you hold a very negative view of your generations offspring. It’s not accurate in my experience.

Of course the manager of b and h told you that btw... he’s a sales guy and he plays to your prejudices...

but go away and do some research. This idea that millennials are feckless idiots is a gross misconception of the truth. They are the product of the world you created, no more no less, and they are neither less no more feckless than previous generations, but they are stuck with a far worse level of affordability for major assets such as homes, than the boomers, and far less job security.

One the vast majority are not offspring from my generation. Two you don't even know what generation I'm from. Third thanks for the good laugh. The jobless rate is at it's lowest levels in decades. The mortgage are nearing their all time low unlike the 18% of the 1980s. The vast majority of their non-existent real life problems was created by them. As for B&H, I've known the manager for 15 years and as an adult he doesn't play childish games.

The Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

you hold a very negative view of your generations offspring. It’s not accurate in my experience.

but go away and do some research. This idea that millennials are feckless idiots is a gross misconception of the truth. They are the product of the world you created, no more no less, and they are neither less no more feckless than previous generations, but they are stuck with a far worse level of affordability for major assets such as homes, than the boomers, and far less job security.

One the vast majority are not offspring from my generation. Two you don't even know what generation I'm from. Third thanks for the good laugh. The jobless rate is at it's lowest levels in decades. The mortgage are nearing their all time low unlike the 18% of the 1980s. The vast majority of their non-existent real life problems was created by them. As for B&H, I've known the manager for 15 years and as an adult he doesn't play childish games.

He sells cameras at b and h. He’s not the messiah.

I despair at how people cast aspirations around about millennials... but I guess everyone needs someone to blame, and now that racism is pretty much a no no, You might as well blame those pesky kids.

Though I fail to see how that’s any different mind.

“The vast majority of their non-existent real life problems was created by them.“

Amazing how sometimes we fail to see the hypocrisy of what we believe.

-- hide signature --

MikePennPhoto

NottsPhoto wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

I despair at how people cast aspirations around about millennials... but I guess everyone needs someone to blame, and now that racism is pretty much a no no, You might as well blame those pesky kids.

“The vast majority of their non-existent real life problems was created by them.“

Sounds like you have some growing up to do yourself. Now go away and consider yourself on ignore. Bye, bye.

Samuraidog Regular Member • Posts: 135

gsz wrote:

Does resolution increase was so drastic in the past years? I don't think so...

- I got my first APS-C DLSR (EOS20D) in 2004, which had 8Mpix sensor (I believe the minimum required for serious photography)

- now, 15 years later we're at 26Mpix (APS-C size) - resolution has not even doubled (32Mpix would be the double of 8Mpix)...

Processing files - I can edit X-T3 RAW files without problem on my late-2012 MacMini (OK, with 16GB RAM and SSD...)

Storage is cheap, it's always possible to downscale pictures - what's the problem?

Exactly.

I never understood why camera enthusiasts are such elitist snobs. It seems that people on this forum just want to b!tch for the sake of b!tching. Or, try to impress other people with their level of knowledge.

I see all the time responses like:

• Real photographers don't need IBIS.
  • Real pros don't need more than XX megapixels.
  • Only amateurs care about that kind of dynamic range.
  • Real pros don't care about their gear.
  • I don't know why people like brand X. Brands X, Y, and Z suck.

IMHO, nothing wrong with embracing the technology coming down the pipeline.

NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Everyone is talking as though this new 60mp camera is going to be the only thing we we will be able to buy in 3 months time.

Presumably Sony will still be churning out their 12mp A7 for low light and I think this new machine is rather at the exotic opposite end of the product range and getting people rather over excited at the moment.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,458

NottsPhoto wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Normal progression. It is better to have more and not need it and need it and not have enough.

Its better still to have enough. More than enough is not efficient or optimising value.

im pretty sure we’re 60mb for $3500 is quite efficient

“Useable resolution”. I’m curious to know how one “uses” a 180mb file. As I mentioned earlier, We regularly shoot billboards and bus backs (double decker full height images btw... ) and we output files of circa 40mb to do so...ergo... we downsize off the 24mp camera.

Straight from the camera?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Rob-in-Alberta Contributing Member • Posts: 513

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

Sounds like you have some growing up to do yourself. Now go away and consider yourself on ignore. Bye, bye.

“People try to pu-pu-put us down...just because we get around”

I think Taylor swift wrote that for the millennials that just want a damn Sony A7RIV

Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 513

I'd just like to say as an elder millennial (I'm 36), that I have zero dollars in student debt, have almost paid off my mortgage, have not carried a credit card balance more than 30 days since I was 22 and am on track to fully retire by 55. There are irresponsible fools in every generation. I have an XH1, I want an XH2 if it ever sees the light of day and if the new sony had 60fps 4K 10 bit no crop with propres recording internal to go along with its photo chops I'd have it on preorder. I don't "need" it, but I could make use of it to do some pretty nifty stuff. Then again I just do this stuff for fun mostly so really advanced gear of all kinds is fun to play with.

MikePennPhoto

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras. I certainly don't. Most of the stuff I do is for people to post it on facebook for them to post and view their photos on a phone. Simple as that. I have shot thousands and thousands of high quality photos with my 16MP cameras and so far nobody has require that I use a high resolution camera. Like I said, I am sure there are other fields where high res images are needed and that's totally cool with me.

I'm not happy regarding where the camera industry is heading why?

1) Having to edit large files for no good reason

2) Too time consuming

3) Will have to upgrade computer system and hardware. I just did that close to two years ago and I'm already starting to feel like the system I got is too slow and I'm only PP 16MP files. Yes for sure I have noticed that storage has gone down in price dramatically but still, what's the point?

Yeah I can simply select the lower resolution file size setting in the camera, but still, what's the point? Personally I don't like the look of images that come out of cameras that have all this cramped up megapixels. Images are starting to look like when I went from Plasma TV to LCD with that nasty ugly unpleasant soap opera look. I mean come on man is that where we are heading? And regarding Fuji IQ, I fell in love with Fuji some years ago when I discovered the S5 Pro by pure accident because someone posted some photos and they did look very different than the Nikon D7000 I was using at that time. But even now I'm not seeing and feeling that same love from the images coming out of the Fuji cameras. I'm just not seeing the same thing anymore guys sorry.

Are sensors with less resolution with bigger pixels really gone forever and are we never again going to get those gorgeous saturated looking pictures? I mean a reasonable amount of resolution is fine with me I have no beef with that but man I think this is getting way our of hand and I find all this ridiculous.

Up until last year most of my photography that wasn't taken with film was taken with 8 to 12 megapixel cameras. I think after this I'll find a nice 4 to 6 megapixel camera for my next project.

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,637
A counterpoint

I agree for most intents and purposes, 26MP would be sufficient

But if you do birding like myself, cropping would be the norm so the more pixels the merrier for you can never get close enough to the birds

Instead of carrying longer and heavier lenses, you'd shoot with larger density sensors and crop at post

61MP is not outrageously excessive if you have to crop 50%, 70% (this is perfectly normal in birding)

I'd love to have Fuji offer a larger MP sensor just for that reason alone

For now that A7R4 looks mightily attractive at least for my needs

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads