Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,089
Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras. I certainly don't. Most of the stuff I do is for people to post it on facebook for them to post and view their photos on a phone. Simple as that. I have shot thousands and thousands of high quality photos with my 16MP cameras and so far nobody has require that I use a high resolution camera. Like I said, I am sure there are other fields where high res images are needed and that's totally cool with me.

I'm not happy regarding where the camera industry is heading why?

1) Having to edit large files for no good reason

2) Too time consuming

3) Will have to upgrade computer system and hardware. I just did that close to two years ago and I'm already starting to feel like the system I got is too slow and I'm only PP 16MP files. Yes for sure I have noticed that storage has gone down in price dramatically but still, what's the point?

Yeah I can simply select the lower resolution file size setting in the camera, but still, what's the point? Personally I don't like the look of images that come out of cameras that have all this cramped up megapixels. Images are starting to look like when I went from Plasma TV to LCD with that nasty ugly unpleasant soap opera look. I mean come on man is that where we are heading? And regarding Fuji IQ, I fell in love with Fuji some years ago when I discovered the S5 Pro by pure accident because someone posted some photos and they did look very different than the Nikon D7000 I was using at that time. But even now I'm not seeing and feeling that same love from the images coming out of the Fuji cameras. I'm just not seeing the same thing anymore guys sorry.

Are sensors with less resolution with bigger pixels really gone forever and are we never again going to get those gorgeous saturated looking pictures? I mean a reasonable amount of resolution is fine with me I have no beef with that but man I think this is getting way our of hand and I find all this ridiculous.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,686
Re: Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras. I certainly don't. Most of the stuff I do is for people to post it on facebook for them to post and view their photos on a phone. Simple as that. I have shot thousands and thousands of high quality photos with my 16MP cameras and so far nobody has require that I use a high resolution camera. Like I said, I am sure there are other fields where high res images are needed and that's totally cool with me.

2) Too time consuming

3) Will have to upgrade computer system and hardware. I just did that close to two years ago and I'm already starting to feel like the system I got is too slow and I'm only PP 16MP files. Yes for sure I have noticed that storage has gone down in price dramatically but still, what's the point?

Yeah I can simply select the lower resolution file size setting in the camera, but still, what's the point? Personally I don't like the look of images that come out of cameras that have all this cramped up megapixels. Images are starting to look like when I went from Plasma TV to LCD with that nasty ugly unpleasant soap opera look. I mean come on man is that where we are heading? And regarding Fuji IQ, I fell in love with Fuji some years ago when I discovered the S5 Pro by pure accident because someone posted some photos and they did look very different than the Nikon D7000 I was using at that time. But even now I'm not seeing and feeling that same love from the images coming out of the Fuji cameras. I'm just not seeing the same thing anymore guys sorry.

Are sensors with less resolution with bigger pixels really gone forever and are we never again going to get those gorgeous saturated looking pictures? I mean a reasonable amount of resolution is fine with me I have no beef with that but man I think this is getting way our of hand and I find all this ridiculous.

If you don’t need the resolution, don’t buy the camera.

We have stuff printed on billboards and buses.

We need no more than 15mp to do that. We have xt3’s now and they are probably about right.

to be clear,  I agree with you.    It’s being driven by amateurs.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonephotography.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,151

It's just Sony upscaling the sensor they sell to Fuji for the X-T3 to FF and it was inevitable. Certainly there are some applications for it but it is complete overkill for the vast number of enthusiast and pro photographers. It's apparent though that the density of 24~26 MP's for APS C is where technology has currently stalled and it's been there for quite a while now. One could argue that some elements of IQ took a small step backward between the X-T2 and X-T3 but that could be more related to the sensor readout speed. I see a slight bit more high ISO noise in the X-T3 test shots.

Makes me think of the horsepower wars for cars.

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
io_bg
io_bg Contributing Member • Posts: 809

Those pros who need to be on top of their game and offer more than what most amateurs and other pros are capable of. The A7 IV will soon follow for those who don't need so much resolution.

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II +6 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,151

NottsPhoto wrote:

Batdude wrote:

2) Too time consuming

It’s being driven by amateurs.

Who many times are suckers for marketing. 

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more

io_bg wrote:

Those pros who need to be on top of their game and offer more than what most amateurs and other pros are capable of. The A7 IV will soon follow for those who don't need so much resolution.

Any pro who differentiates himself by his gear,  is wasting his time.

The customers don’t care about anything in excess of their needs technically,  (most don’t even know what those are btw..)  they want good pictures and more importantly,  good service.

they really don’t give a stuff if you use a 24mp or 60mp camera... just as long as... see above,

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
Batdude
OP Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,089

NottsPhoto wrote:

Batdude wrote:

2) Too time consuming

I don't, and I haven't yet, but our older bodies will stop working one day and no more replacement parts will be available anymore and that day will come so I will be forced to buy a newer camera that I am not going to be 100% happy with.  I have used other newer cameras myself and none of them are able to give me the look that older sensors give me for a certain look that I like to get for my sports photography purposes.

Pictures are starting to look too much like high definition that might as well just use my HD camcorder. Yeah the images look very neat, but with no character in them.  Really boring stuff IMHO.

We need no more than 15mp to do that. We have xt3’s now and they are probably about right.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more

rwbaron wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Batdude wrote:

2) Too time consuming

It’s being driven by amateurs.

Who many times are suckers for marketing.

you see it here,  especially when people are talking about video...  most don’t have any understanding that we are way past the point where resolution was a determiner of quality...

-- hide signature --

Batdude wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Batdude wrote:

2) Too time consuming

I don't, and I haven't yet, but our older bodies will stop working one day and no more replacement parts will be available anymore and that day will come so I will be forced to buy a newer camera that I am not going to be 100% happy with. I have used other newer cameras myself and none of them are able to give me the look that older sensors give me for a certain look that I like to get for my sports photography purposes.

Pictures are starting to look too much like high definition that might as well just use my HD camcorder. Yeah the images look very neat, but with no character in them. Really boring stuff IMHO.

i think of we don’t buy them ,  they won’t make em.

I see where your coming from though availability wise.

-- hide signature --

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 4,678

In some ways, it's similar to the HP-race in consumer cars. Total nonsense for practical purposes yet it happens every 2 decades or so.... and on car-forums, benchracers will discuss ad nauseum what car is "better" although none of those participating in the discussion use all that HP (or even ever drove a single car being discussed) So car-forums are not that different to DPR

Myself, I'm totally fine with my 10-to-18MP systems. I'm considering an additional camera for some specific colour-work, but I'm actually put off by all these idiotic resolutions.

*EDIT* I realize that I even use a 5MP and 6MP camera on a regular basis, and the reactions on the pics is never "those suck because its not enough MP"

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D +3 more
MikePennPhoto
MikePennPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

Batdude wrote:

Are sensors with less resolution with bigger pixels really gone forever

I more than understand what you are saying. We live in a world with a mostly insecure Millenial generation that aways needs the last and greatest with larger numbers. You don't have to look any farther the current smartphone situation. No way are the masses going to be caught holding last year's phone number. As for the camera gear heads it's an addiction that they can't stop. They never get to know their current camera before trading up. But for people like us there will always lots of discarded older used models. I have friends that search for specific camera models not only because the liked using it but because of cohesion in their work. They grab up Nikon D300, Ricoh GRD1, Leica M9, and numerous others made in the mid 2000s. Use what you like and screw the camera market.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,445
It's been that way for a long time...

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras.

You're stuck on need. Replace it with want.

I have always and will always want more resolution. Started with 35mm and then to 6x7 and finally moved up to 4x5 over time and it was amazing, loved what I could do with it. No different here - I'll always take more useable resolution.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

I more than understand what you are saying. We live in a world with a mostly insecure Millenial generation that aways needs the last and greatest with larger numbers. You don't have to look any farther the current smartphone situation. No way are the masses going to be caught holding last year's phone number. As for the camera gear heads it's an addiction that they can't stop. They never get to know their current camera before trading up. But for people like us there will always lots of discarded older used models. I have friends that search for specific camera models not only because the liked using it but because of cohesion in their work. They grab up Nikon D300, Ricoh GRD1, Leica M9, and numerous others made in the mid 2000s. Use what you like and screw the camera market.

It’s not the millennials buying this stuff,  it’s the boomers.    The millennials can’t afford it.

why do folks always blame them?

-- hide signature --

io_bg
io_bg Contributing Member • Posts: 809

NottsPhoto wrote:

io_bg wrote:

Any pro who differentiates himself by his gear, is wasting his time.

The customers don’t care about anything in excess of their needs technically, (most don’t even know what those are btw..) they want good pictures and more importantly, good service.

they really don’t give a stuff if you use a 24mp or 60mp camera... just as long as... see above,

I'm sure it makes a difference to high-end customers.

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II +6 more
MikePennPhoto

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

It’s not the millennials buying this stuff, it’s the boomers. The millennials can’t afford it.

Because that's who I see walking around with the latest gear, that's who the camera store owners are telling me who is buying it, and most of the boomers I see walking around New York City and Philadelphia are either still using film or using 5+ year old gear.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,582

24mp with my apsc Fuji gear...50mp with my Fuji MF gear.  All good

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more

io_bg wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

io_bg wrote:

Any pro who differentiates himself by his gear, is wasting his time.

The customers don’t care about anything in excess of their needs technically, (most don’t even know what those are btw..) they want good pictures and more importantly, good service.

I'm sure it makes a difference to high-end customers.

Define a “high end” customer.

Customers care about results.... not how you get there.

pros have the gear and facility which are necessary  to fullfill their customers needs,  often this is less than an amateur will have because the customer doesn’t need the extras.... and spending more than you need to in a business is no way to generate profit.

In the past we used to differentiate ourselves technically... but we didn’t talk about the technical  aspects,  we talked about the service.... it was the superior service which was our usp... even if it was enabled by our ability to spend on gear.

nowadays,  there is nowhere to go with that Technically because all the the facilities that a customer needs for a still service,  are available to anyone at a very modest cost.

All this technology has actually made itself redundant for pros.    It’s ubiquitous and as such  is no longer the determiner of a good photographer,  and can no longer be relied upon to prop up a business.

We have come full circle,  back to the pre digital era,  it’s not the gear anymore,  it’s the photography.

-- hide signature --

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

It’s not the millennials buying this stuff, it’s the boomers. The millennials can’t afford it.

Because that's who I see walking around with the latest gear, that's who the camera store owners are telling me who is buying it, and most of the boomers I see walking around New York City and Philadelphia are either still using film or using 5+ year old gear.

Well it ain’t that way here.    It’s hobbiests with dosh,  and that’s the boomers.   Millennials are too busy paying off their mortgages and saving for their retirement.

-- hide signature --

MikePennPhoto

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

NottsPhoto wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Batdude wrote:

e

too busy paying off their mortgages and saving for their retirement.

Well this right here tells me you're not in the U.S.

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,472

Because it is a primary reason to upgrade within or outside of a system. This is just hardware and marketing getting married...again and again. The better question is, Why do we really care? We used to keep cameras for a very long time. My only possible upgrade, other than obtaining a sweet X-H2 or X-T4 (provided it has IBIS), is to the second generation GFX sensor that is around the same pixel count or a bit higher than the 50s and 50r sensor - along with the new processing engine of the GFX100. That's it.

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads