Is the A7 III expected to drop in price after IV launch?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
OutOfTime007 New Member • Posts: 3
Is the A7 III expected to drop in price after IV launch?

So I have been considering changing over to Sony for a while now. Being a hobby photographer I dont really mind not having the newest gear and the A7 III is already a well reviewed camera. So now that the A7 IV has been announced do you think there will be a price drop for the III? How much did the II drop when the III came out? Or am I just getting my hopes up too much?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TripleCoatedBokeh Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Is the A7 III expected to drop in price after IV launch?

I wouldn't expect a major price drop until A7Riv sales have started to cool off.  I could be wrong.  I hope i'm wrong.

leonche64
leonche64 Contributing Member • Posts: 991

OutOfTime007 wrote:

So I have been considering changing over to Sony for a while now. Being a hobby photographer I dont really mind not having the newest gear and the A7 III is already a well reviewed camera. So now that the A7 IV has been announced do you think there will be a price drop for the III? How much did the II drop when the III came out? Or am I just getting my hopes up too much?

The new camera is an A7RIV, not the A7 IV.  They are different models. The A7III is the hottest selling Sony camera, so don't expect a price drop any time soon.  Maybe after a replacement is announced, in about 6 months or so.

leonche64's gear list:leonche64's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
PPierre Regular Member • Posts: 456
It should be the case on the used market

Now that the A7RIV can be pre-ordered, I expect the A7RIII will soon see a drop in price, which will lower the price of used A7RIII even further, and ultimately lower the price of used A7IIIs.

The "new" market may not follow the same logic, though.

PPierre's gear list:PPierre's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
OP OutOfTime007 New Member • Posts: 3

The new camera is an A7RIV, not the A7 IV. They are different models.

Oh. I didn't realise. I guess I will have to wait a while then.

Guyps Regular Member • Posts: 309

leonche64 wrote:

OutOfTime007 wrote:

The new camera is an A7RIV, not the A7 IV. They are different models. The A7III is the hottest selling Sony camera, so don't expect a price drop any time soon. Maybe after a replacement is announced, in about 6 months or so.

I almost purchased an A7iii a few weeks ago when they were at a low price of £1699 then £150 cashback for a few days.

The prices then jumped back up to £1850. I almost then pulled the trigger on prime day when amazon dropped it to around £1720 (less the cashback) but I've decided to hold off and see what happens to the pricing after this announcement.

If the A7RIII drops to around £2000 then surely Sony won't expect to still be selling the 'entry level' A7iii for £1850.

Also the gap between the A7Riii and A7iii was around 4 months IIRC. I may just hang on to my Fuji until the A7iv announcement and decide whether to buy the 'older tech' at a reduced fee or go for the latest A7.

Guyps's gear list:Guyps's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

There WAS a rumor 3 other camera's and some lenses would be launched soon.

Should be logical with the coming Olympics.

Once the next gen is launched, the old one values less.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,415

Guyps wrote:

If the A7RIII drops to around £2000 then surely Sony won't expect to still be selling the 'entry level' A7iii for £1850.

Not necessarily guaranteed there, since there are a lot of use cases where the R3's pixel count is a liability (anything that is limited by readout performance).

A7M3 can do full sensor width oversampled video, R3 and R4 have to pixel-skip/bin at full width.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
texdpl Contributing Member • Posts: 922

Brilliant post.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Abel89er Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: It should be the case on the used market

PPierre wrote:

Now that the A7RIV can be pre-ordered, I expect the A7RIII will soon see a drop in price, which will lower the price of used A7RIII even further, and ultimately lower the price of used A7IIIs.

The "new" market may not follow the same logic, though.

I belive the prices have gone down already to accomodate the cameras, right now in europe:

- A7RIV: 4000€

- A7RIII3100€ (plus 200€ cashback)

- A7RII 1660€ (+200€ casback)

I want to like the A7RIV, I was waiting for it, but coming from an A7, even an A7RII is an upgrade and its price is really tempting.

Abel89er's gear list:Abel89er's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,260

OutOfTime007 wrote:

The new camera is an A7RIV, not the A7 IV. They are different models.

Oh. I didn't realise. I guess I will have to wait a while then.

Try using Greentoe, you should be able to get at least $100 off.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads