Sigma 30 f/1.4 vs sigma 56mm f/1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bandofbros Junior Member • Posts: 43
Sigma 30 f/1.4 vs sigma 56mm f/1.4

Which one would you get for the Panasonic GH5 or G9?

It will be used for both photo and video.

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Soulfulized
Soulfulized Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Sigma 30 f/1.4 vs sigma 56mm f/1.4

Depends on shooting environment, as ever. I've just returned from a three-day music festival where I shot from the crowd using the 56mm - it was the only lens I could take (I have the 30mm as well so needed to choose between the two).  Zooming with feet worked fine, as did the occasional video scene. For stills the 56mm is my favourite (room permitting) of the Sigma trinity of f/1.4 primes, though all are excellent.

For video (like speaking to camera webcast-style), I've actually found that the 16mm is better than either the 30 or the 56mm - wide, sharp, nice colours. Again depends on what you're shooting.

Soulfulized's gear list:Soulfulized's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +25 more
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,477

Bandofbros wrote:

Which one would you get for the Panasonic GH5 or G9?

It will be used for both photo and video.

For my G9, I got a Sigma 56mm f/1.4 for portraits and a 16mm f/1.4 for general shooting, including landscapes. The Sigma 16-30-56 trio is excellent.

To answer your question, you should be clear about your usual subject-matters. What do you tend to shoot the most? Street scenes? Events? You might realize that both 30mm and 56mm on a MFT camera are "too long" for most typical scenes. Maybe a 16mm would be suitable for your shooting.

I'm just thinking aloud...

OP Bandofbros Junior Member • Posts: 43

I will use the panasonic leica 8-18mm for the wider end. So that's why I won't get the 16mm lens.

This lens is intended for shooting people. Full body but also details like their eyes or face. I will also use it for detail shots in landscape or following animals from close by.

I do have a panasonic 20mm f/1.7 which I could still keep (as it's so small).

Soulfulized wrote:

Depends on shooting environment, as ever. I've just returned from a three-day music festival where I shot from the crowd using the 56mm - it was the only lens I could take (I have the 30mm as well so needed to choose between the two). Zooming with feet worked fine, as did the occasional video scene. For stills the 56mm is my favourite (room permitting) of the Sigma trinity of f/1.4 primes, though all are excellent.

For video (like speaking to camera webcast-style), I've actually found that the 16mm is better than either the 30 or the 56mm - wide, sharp, nice colours. Again depends on what you're shooting.

Yes I will be using the panasonic leica 8-18mm for the wide shots. The 30mm and 56mm will be more for the bokeh shots and people shooting (full body but also close up eye shots). Also I want to get more detail of landscapes and use it in low light.

Soulfulized

Bandofbros wrote:

Soulfulized wrote:

Depends on shooting environment, as ever. I've just returned from a three-day music festival where I shot from the crowd using the 56mm - it was the only lens I could take (I have the 30mm as well so needed to choose between the two). Zooming with feet worked fine, as did the occasional video scene. For stills the 56mm is my favourite (room permitting) of the Sigma trinity of f/1.4 primes, though all are excellent.

Yes I will be using the panasonic leica 8-18mm for the wide shots. The 30mm and 56mm will be more for the bokeh shots and people shooting (full body but also close up eye shots). Also I want to get more detail of landscapes and use it in low light.

Understood. Guess the main question is then about the available distance from your subjects in your setting. With lots of room, I'd slightly favour the 56 over the 30, especially for background blur - does a really nice job. In a tighter space the 30 will be your option.

Though if you can, get both - you willl hear plenty of others say this. Gives a nice balance between 'nornal' and 'long', and the 30 is amazingly cheap for what it gives you. Other than the minor pain of switching lenses, the Sigma trinity is my go-to combo for low-light work, especially concerts where flash is a no--no.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +25 more
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,477

Bandofbros wrote:

This lens is intended for shooting people. Full body but also details like their eyes or face. I will also use it for detail shots in landscape or following animals from close by.

Then I will definitely recommend the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 from personal experience.

(Next time, please provide as much relevant information as you can.)

Soulfulized wrote:

Bandofbros wrote:

Soulfulized wrote:

Understood. Guess the main question is then about the available distance from your subjects in your setting. With lots of room, I'd slightly favour the 56 over the 30, especially for background blur - does a really nice job. In a tighter space the 30 will be your option.

Though if you can, get both - you willl hear plenty of others say this. Gives a nice balance between 'nornal' and 'long', and the 30 is amazingly cheap for what it gives you. Other than the minor pain of switching lenses, the Sigma trinity is my go-to combo for low-light work, especially concerts where flash is a no--no.

I do have a panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake, do you recommend me to sell that one for the 30mm?

Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,922
Re: Get both if you can

Both. They are not super expensive but are nice, reasonably light lenses. The 30mm is probably more useful to get first, but save up and get the 56mm which is a superb short range telephoto lens.  I have a 17mm and the 56mm and I don't really need anything else for everyday photography.

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Both. They are not super expensive but are nice, reasonably light lenses. The 30mm is probably more useful to get first, but save up and get the 56mm which is a superb short range telephoto lens. I have a 17mm and the 56mm and I don't really need anything else for everyday photography.

Would you recommend the 30mm over the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens? (I already have that one)

Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Bandofbros wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Both. They are not super expensive but are nice, reasonably light lenses. The 30mm is probably more useful to get first, but save up and get the 56mm which is a superb short range telephoto lens. I have a 17mm and the 56mm and I don't really need anything else for everyday photography.

Would you recommend the 30mm over the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens? (I already have that one)

Not if you're going to get the 56mm Sigma.  The 20mm and the 56mm f1.4 would be a great combination. 20mm for everyday shooting and the 56mm for portraits and telephoto needs.

Dave Andrade Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Bandofbros wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I guess that depends on which version you have, and if you plan to shoot video.

I don't own, but I have heard, that the 20mm 1.7 isn't ideal for that, based on the motor.

I personally own the 30mm 1.4 and I can tell you it definitely has noticeable chromatic aberration when wide open, or close to it  (as to be expected, I suppose)

Dave Andrade's gear list:Dave Andrade's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH

Dave Andrade wrote:

Bandofbros wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I guess that depends on which version you have, and if you plan to shoot video.

I don't own, but I have heard, that the 20mm 1.7 isn't ideal for that, based on the motor.

I personally own the 30mm 1.4 and I can tell you it definitely has noticeable chromatic aberration when wide open, or close to it (as to be expected, I suppose)

I have the newer version, so which version is the bad version? Do you mean the focussing speed? I will have a look at the chromatic aberration, if it's bad enough for my intended purposes.

Soulfulized

Bandofbros wrote:

Soulfulized wrote:

Bandofbros wrote:

Soulfulized wrote:

I do have a panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake, do you recommend me to sell that one for the 30mm?

I don't have and have never used the 20mm, though I will probably get it to pair with a GM5 when I need to go super compact. I could see different use cases for both so not sure it's an either/or, again depends on the shooting conditions you encounter.

My alternative to the Sigma 30 is the Oly 25mm f/1.8, another excellent lens; I just prefer the extra 2/3 stop of light with the Sigma given where I'm shooting a lot of the time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads