Lumix S cameras - shutter count

Started Jul 17, 2019 | Questions
Peter1313a Junior Member • Posts: 30
Lumix S cameras - shutter count

Does anybody know how to check shutter count on Lumix S1 cameras ?

thanks

Peter

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
FinePix S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Peter1313a Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Lumix S cameras - shutter count

Common lads!!! Are you really don'n know how to check it ?

2ndviolinman Regular Member • Posts: 281

I really are don'n know how.

caver3d Contributing Member • Posts: 911

And I "don'n" know how either.

(Does anyone speak English around here?)

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Lytro Illum Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 +36 more
OP Peter1313a Junior Member • Posts: 30

caver3d wrote:

And I "don'n" know how either.

(Does anyone speak English around here?)

caver3d

(I don'n think so ) LOL

45rpm New Member • Posts: 6

Bump...does anybody know? I've tried Google and nothing.

JohnWick4001 Contributing Member • Posts: 514

45rpm wrote:

Bump...does anybody know? I've tried Google and nothing.

I've tried looking thru the exit properties in photoshop-no luck

JohnWick4001's gear list:JohnWick4001's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +5 more
bobdom6 Regular Member • Posts: 148
I figured it out for the S1R

Here are the steps to get the shutter count:

1. Press and Hold the Playback and AF-ON buttons while powering the camera on.
  2. Release the buttons
  3. Press and Hold the Playback button while quickly pressing Menu/Set, followed by the left arrow on the command wheel (this needs to be done quickly)
  4. At this point, you will come to a grey screen with a bunch of numbers. From this screen press Menu/Set

You'll come to a screen that contains some diagnostic information:

• PWRCNT - the number of times the camera has been powered on
  • SHTCNT - The count of the mechanical shutter
  • STBCNT - The number of times a flash has been fired
  • PSVCNT - The number of times auto power off has been activated.
mcvh
mcvh Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: I figured it out for the S1R

Since my S1r finally arrived I updated FW and of course was curious as to how many accutations it has on it.

Tried your method, but don´t seem to get anywhere......

Anybody has had luck?

-- hide signature --

Come to where the pictures are
www.von-hacht.com

2ndviolinman Regular Member • Posts: 281

bobdom6 wrote:

Here are the steps to get the shutter count:

1. Press and Hold the Playback and AF-ON buttons while powering the camera on.
  2. Release the buttons
  3. Press and Hold the Playback button while quickly pressing Menu/Set, followed by the left arrow on the command wheel (this needs to be done quickly)
  4. At this point, you will come to a grey screen with a bunch of numbers. From this screen press Menu/Set

You'll come to a screen that contains some diagnostic information:

• PWRCNT - the number of times the camera has been powered on
  • SHTCNT - The count of the mechanical shutter
  • STBCNT - The number of times a flash has been fired
  • PSVCNT - The number of times auto power off has been activated.

Obviously, you didn't just stumble on this routine playing with the camera, so I am very curious as to how you found it.

Is there a publicly available source with this and perhaps more diagnostic or setup information that you can divulge without jeopardizing your access to it?

bobdom6 Regular Member • Posts: 148

Actually, I did kind of stumble upon it. I used the following site as a reference and figured Panasonic would enforce a certain level of consistency for their technicians. The method I found was about the 5th combination I tried.

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/panasonic-g-shutter-count

mcvh
mcvh Regular Member • Posts: 225

bobdom6 wrote:

Actually, I did kind of stumble upon it. I used the following site as a reference and figured Panasonic would enforce a certain level of consistency for their technicians. The method I found was about the 5th combination I tried.

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/panasonic-g-shutter-count

To save everyone the hassle....

It´s the same as for the GH5 and G9. Some important info was missing so here is the complete guide to follow....

1. Insert a memory card into the card slot;
  2. Turn the camera ON and take a picture;
  3. Turn the camera OFF;
  4. Select single shot mode;
  5. Press and hold both the PLAYBACK and AF/AE LOCK buttons, while turning the camera ON. You are now entering the Temporary Service Mode, even though you might not notice anything unusual on first sight (in case you would like to verify that you are indeed in Temporary Service Mode, go to the Setup Menu [the one with the wrench symbol] and scroll to the last page where you will find a menu item "ROM BACKUP" that is not displayed in normal operating mode);
  6. Now, press and hold the PLAYBACK button together with the MENU/SET and press LEFT on the clickwheel;
  7. Repeat the last step, that is press and hold the PLAYBACK button while pressing the MENU/SET and LEFT on the clickwheel. A two-page operation history display will appear;
  8. Press DISPLAY to toggle between the two information menus;
  9. Write down the number next to PWRCNT. This is how many times the camera has been powered up;
  10. Write down the number next to SHTCNT. This is the shutter activation count;
  11. Write down the number next to STBCNT. This is the number of times the flash has fired;
  12. Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter actuations information!

This way it works like a charm.

-- hide signature --

Come to where the pictures are
www.von-hacht.com

45rpm New Member • Posts: 6

Thank you! I just tried it and it worked. I grabbed one of the refurbished S1Rs from B&H for 50% off. Shutter count was 100.

Wasabi Bob Contributing Member • Posts: 680

BE CAREFUL!

Hopefully my past experience will save some of you some grief and money. I also wanted to access the shutter count on a GH5S. The procedure is very similar. It wasn’t clear how to properly exit this mode, but eventually I got back to the normal operating mode. A few days later I noticed that photos weren’t being exposed quite right, and the color seemed a bit off. Checking, WB was definitely “off”. The camera went to service. I got a phone call explaining that the “error log” showed that I had been in one of the Service modes. Exiting it improperly caused most of the calibration data to be erased.

The let me speak to the tech who explained that once you enter the service mode the alignment data needs to be downloaded. Once the necessary tasks are done in that mode, your camera's data needs to be reloaded.

The realignment was not covered under warranty, and it cost me $167. I learned my lesson – stay out of where you don’t belong!

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320

Wasabi Bob wrote:

BE CAREFUL!

Hopefully my past experience will save some of you some grief and money. I also wanted to access the shutter count on a GH5S. The procedure is very similar. It wasn’t clear how to properly exit this mode, but eventually I got back to the normal operating mode. A few days later I noticed that photos weren’t being exposed quite right, and the color seemed a bit off. Checking, WB was definitely “off”. The camera went to service. I got a phone call explaining that the “error log” showed that I had been in one of the Service modes. Exiting it improperly caused most of the calibration data to be erased.

The let me speak to the tech who explained that once you enter the service mode the alignment data needs to be downloaded. Once the necessary tasks are done in that mode, your camera's data needs to be reloaded.

The realignment was not covered under warranty, and it cost me $167. I learned my lesson – stay out of where you don’t belong!

Did you reset your cam after checking the shutter count?

Wasabi Bob Contributing Member • Posts: 680

YES

From very credible sources I was told unless you manually reload the previously saved alignment data, the default data which is loaded at the manufacturing time is loaded as the default. The obvious problems I noticed, and the response from Service verified from the camera's error log all verifies what occurs.

Many manufacturers fail to give us the option to save our settings (what I assume you call "alignment data") when entering service mode, which BTW is not something one should be scared of. This is something that's really dumb because it's really easy to code that in the firmware (ditto for saving settings to a memory card) but they just don't care.

What I do with all my cams is check shutter count FIRST, right after I've unboxed the items and charged the battery (that would have saved you $167 LOL.) This is how I found out that the last Panasonic I bought from Shamazon was NOT new!

Anthony Cheh Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Are You Talking About the Same Thing?

Wasabi Bob and Chris 222:

I'm confused as to whether the two of you are talking about the same thing.

Chris seems to be addressing user settings, e.g., changes in camera menus from the starting default positions, such as matrix vs. spot metering, single vs. continuous autofocus, etc..

Wasabi Bob seems to be talking about calibration data from the final factory adjustments (cameras of this caliber are still individually fine tuned before packing and shipment), e.g., autofocus, AWB, exposure metering, etc.

If Wasabi Bob is talking about final factory calibration data needing to be manually saved before entering a service mode, and then reloaded before exiting service mode, would just looking at shutter count in a service menu require such saving and then reloading of the final factory calibration data?

I took a look at the shutter count on my refurbished S1r (less than 30) and the visual results for white balance, exposure, focus, at default settings, are the same as before.

Please clarify.

Re: Are You Talking About the Same Thing?

Anthony Cheh wrote:

Wasabi Bob and Chris 222:

I'm confused as to whether the two of you are talking about the same thing.

Chris seems to be addressing user settings, e.g., changes in camera menus from the starting default positions, such as matrix vs. spot metering, single vs. continuous autofocus, etc..

Anthony, glad to clarify. Yes, I was specifically referring to user settings which are (unnecessarily) wiped out when you enter service mode on some cams (and not on others.)

Wasabi Bob seems to be talking about calibration data from the final factory adjustments (cameras of this caliber are still individually fine tuned before packing and shipment), e.g., autofocus, AWB, exposure metering, etc.

If Wasabi Bob is talking about final factory calibration data needing to be manually saved before entering a service mode, and then reloaded before exiting service mode, would just looking at shutter count in a service menu require such saving and then reloading of the final factory calibration data?

Either way such calibration data should not be wiped, ever (barring some catastrophic damage to the cam's own memory, of course.) Certainly not by simply entering service mode. But then Panasonic has a long history of making money in such manners, at least in the U.S.

I took a look at the shutter count on my refurbished S1r (less than 30) and the visual results for white balance, exposure, focus, at default settings, are the same as before.

Hopefully your fine calibration data was intact too!

Anthony Cheh Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Re: Are You Talking About the Same Thing?

Chris 222 wrote:

Either way such calibration data should not be wiped,

Absolutely agree with you

Hopefully your fine calibration data was intact too!

Doesn't appear to have changed : )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads