Apocolypse in my garden

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ratfugel
ratfugel Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Apocolypse in my garden

I am bereft.

I have a terrible feeling that the farmers around here have wiped out the whole of my bird population.

There has not been a single bird in my very large garden for the last fortnight.

No tits, no blackbirds, no starlings, no robins, nothing with feathers.

Eerie to say the least. Not to mention quiet. There were always bird noises all day. None at all now.

The clue came when I mentioned this to my neighbours in the village.

None there either.

Somebody mentioned an unusual smell coming off the fields.

Bet my boots it was pesticide. If so, there is little we can do about it.

Farming and birds don’t go together. Bottom line is the name of the game.

Maximise the crop. Sod the birds.

Sod us too, as there must be trace elements in the crops by now, but I never hear anybody mentioning this.

Looks like we’re all doomed by apathy.

Rat.

ratfugel's gear list:ratfugel's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 80D +1 more
Gzoladz Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Re: Apocolypse in my garden

Very sad if that is the case, unfortunately not entirely unusual.

If July though, birding activity decreases significantly, the the breeding season is finished and birds start moulting. That could be a reason, however the likes of Starlings and Magpie are always there.

We spent our family holidays 1H July in a farm in Portugal. I was actually pleased to see the huge numbers of birds...Shrikes (grey and woodchat), Warblers (Sardinian among others), GS woodpeckers, Red-legged partridge, Hoopoes, Bee-eaters, Little Owls, White storks, Quails calling, etc, and good number of raptors: Black Kite, Kestrel, Blackshouldered Kite, Spotted Eagle, Buzzards...they must be doing something different.

Gzoladz's gear list:Gzoladz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,501

That's very sad, Rat my friend!

Just saw yesterday in our news at evening, that beekeepers destroyed an entire colony  of bee-eaters in the cruelest way, by  pouring concret in the nest holes, over the live birds and their youngs

I think that that general greed will in the end kill us humans too, because we just trample down the complex balances and correlations of our Mother Nature...

I'm also very sorry,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,330

Yes the farmers around here sprayed pesticide for grass hoppers, it killed them Plus all the birds, a shame!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
ratfugel
OP ratfugel Contributing Member • Posts: 632

Further to my rant above, I now find that this mass bird killing has gone well beyond our village.

I called on one of my friends some miles away who is also a birding enthusiast and it turned out that he too had noticed the absence of all his feathered friends.

So we started asking around and found lots of other people had observed the same thing and come to the conclusion that something is seriously wrong with the erstwhile bird population.

Accordingly I have now  notified the RSPB and the national newspapers of a potential bird crime in progress and suggested that they should also investigate.

I don't know whether these goings-on in my area of the UK are of interest to the forum, but it could possibly happen elsewhere and I felt it might be of some use if I passed it on.

rat.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,519

ratfugel wrote:

Further to my rant above, I now find that this mass bird killing has gone well beyond our village.

I called on one of my friends some miles away who is also a birding enthusiast and it turned out that he too had noticed the absence of all his feathered friends.

So we started asking around and found lots of other people had observed the same thing and come to the conclusion that something is seriously wrong with the erstwhile bird population.

Accordingly I have now notified the RSPB and the national newspapers of a potential bird crime in progress and suggested that they should also investigate.

I don't know whether these goings-on in my area of the UK are of interest to the forum, but it could possibly happen elsewhere and I felt it might be of some use if I passed it on.

rat.

..Wow, thanks for updating us on what's happening to the birds in your area..

..yes, it's important for us to know about these things..

..as much we enjoy taking pictures of birds..

..but we also need to be concerned about the conservation of birds too..

..do keep us informed of your findings..

..thanks for sharing & happy shooting..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70
Hoodieman Regular Member • Posts: 125

Good for you for taking action, Ratfugel! So often people complain among themselves about environmental issues but rarely have the knowledge or courage to do anything about it. I hope your efforts lead to a thorough investigation.

The UK seems to have had this problem for decades. When I was at uni in London in the 1960s I rode my motorbike down to Spain and back for the holidays. Riding through France and Spain at the end of every day my face was covered with a sticky mess of Nivea and insects. On the way back, from Calais to London, there wasn't a single insect on my dial. Very sad that things don't seem to have improved.

Les

ratfugel

I got a reply from the royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

as below. Felt you all might like to know what they say:

Bird Deaths.

Wildlife <Wildlife@rspb.org.uk>

11:28 AM (44 minutes ago)

to me

Good morning

Thank you for your email.

It is very normal at this time of year to notice a decrease in garden birds as they begin their moult before they head into winter. When they moult, they will lose the ability to fly as well, as their new flight feathers will be coming through, so they will spend a of time hiding in shrubs and vegetation to protect themselves against predators. We are not aware of any lethal materials causing sudden bird deaths in large numbers. I think the sudden decline in the birds visiting is due to them beginning their moult.

They will also reap the benefits of berries and other natural food sources which will be coming into fruit at this time of year. The food we place out for them is purely supplementary and they will also still have their natural sources on offer and they will go further afield for these.

I hope this eases any worries you have and they begin to come back again soon for you.

Best wishes

Katie Nethercoat Supporter Adviser (Wildlife)

If the above is correct I should be seeing some of them return in due course.

On the other hand..............

rat.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,519

ratfugel wrote:

I got a reply from the royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

as below. Felt you all might like to know what they say:

Bird Deaths.

Wildlife <Wildlife@rspb.org.uk>

11:28 AM (44 minutes ago)

to me

Good morning

Thank you for your email.

It is very normal at this time of year to notice a decrease in garden birds as they begin their moult before they head into winter. When they moult, they will lose the ability to fly as well, as their new flight feathers will be coming through, so they will spend a of time hiding in shrubs and vegetation to protect themselves against predators. We are not aware of any lethal materials causing sudden bird deaths in large numbers. I think the sudden decline in the birds visiting is due to them beginning their moult.

They will also reap the benefits of berries and other natural food sources which will be coming into fruit at this time of year. The food we place out for them is purely supplementary and they will also still have their natural sources on offer and they will go further afield for these.

I hope this eases any worries you have and they begin to come back again soon for you.

Best wishes

Katie Nethercoat Supporter Adviser (Wildlife)

If the above is correct I should be seeing some of them return in due course.

On the other hand..............

rat.

..Thanks for sharing this!

..I sure hope you will be seeing more birds soon..

..Cheers, John..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX70
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,501

Thank you for sharing that!

I infer if they are right, then you should have remarked every year that kind of bird "disappearance", which wasn't the case, isn't it?

Therefore the birds moult more in one year than in other?

That seems very strange to me, to say the least...

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
cream Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

sad news indeed hope they do come back soon.

lots of us forget its there planet too .

but i think this seagull got his own back

A rogue seagull ripped off a man’s right testicle as he sunbathed naked in his back garden, it has emerged.

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/seagull-testicle/

cream's gear list:cream's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
ratfugel

You are right Augustin.

When I thanked the RSPB, I suggested the same as you did.

It is not an annual affair, otherwise I would have noticed this before now.

By the way Cream, it doesn't really matter which side does it?

Heard about a seagull making off with a pet Chihuaha pup yesterday.

Another lot pecked a dog to death.

Moral: keep your clothes on and your dog indoors.

rat.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 7,369

cream wrote:

sad news indeed hope they do come back soon.

lots of us forget its there planet too .

but i think this seagull got his own back

A rogue seagull ripped off a man’s right testicle as he sunbathed naked in his back garden, it has emerged.

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/seagull-testicle/

LOL..best fake story I've read in months. Now if said bird was a Northern Harrier or (heaven forbid) a eagle, I would have cause for alarm the next time I'm skinny dipping on one of my backpacking trips in our Sierra's.

cream Senior Member • Posts: 1,274
 cream's gear list:cream's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads