Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Some people refer to an A9ii as hopefully having 36MP.

Isn’t it more likely to have 30.65MP looking at this article and specifically the IMX554DQC?

I have an A7Riii and have never had an A9 so don’t know how different the AF feels in real life. I don’t take BIF or sport but would have thought the A7Riv crop mode at 26MP would be pretty useful, unless of course, it’s outweighed by the AF difference.

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
shootorrun Forum Member • Posts: 76

Nope. RIV looks great, but I won't upgrade until there is a camera with a faster electronic shutter than the A9. I can't give up silent shooting.

Wendy_P New Member • Posts: 2

shootorrun wrote:

Nope. RIV looks great, but I won't upgrade until there is a camera with a faster electronic shutter than the A9. I can't give up silent shooting.

Thanks for replying. I noticed that the RAW’s from the A9 are not as sharp in lightroom as the RII. I just learned that you have to add more sharpness to those RAW files than with the RII/III or IV. And when you downsize the 42pix files to 24 when exporting the files from Lightroom, you loose a lot of noice if so. Furthermore, the RAW files are more kind to you when you want to adjust the brightness etc. from you files that the A9. For me a reason to question if the A9 is for me the most suitable camera in stead of a RIII or IV. both are faster than my RII which was my main issue. So better than I used to. And I am not into sport photography. Well I’ll give it a try for some more time. But am seriously thinking to go back to the store and exchange it for the RIII or IV.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Wendy

Wendy_P's gear list:Wendy_P's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Richard M Contributing Member • Posts: 547

It’s really interesting to read a lot of people who have bought the A9 and are not sports shooters, or don’t value high frame rates for shooting.

my only reason for getting the 9 was shooting fast moving action.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Richard

Richard M's gear list:Richard M's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony a77 II +15 more
JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 758

Kansas Ron wrote:

Tempting if you don't need the 20 fps especially.

No, I'm going to be perfectly content with my Sony A9 and Sony A7RIII for a long, long time. It's now time for me to concentrate on what I bought the cameras in the first place and that is to take pictures. I just like reading about the new cameras to see what new features they are putting into the cameras and what improvements they are also making to them.

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
OP Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,391

Richard M wrote:

It’s really interesting to read a lot of people who have bought the A9 and are not sports shooters, or don’t value high frame rates for shooting.

my only reason for getting the 9 was shooting fast moving action.

My reasons were (going from A7iii) no blackout EVF and focus speed.

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

Kansas Ron's gear list:Kansas Ron's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 24-105mm F4
shootorrun Forum Member • Posts: 76

Yeah, no sports or BIF here. Just people. I shoot events and environmental portraits, so the silent shooting in almost any lighting is everything to me because people forget I'm shooting because they don't hear a shutter, so they behave much more naturally. And the speed of the electronic shutter means no worrying about motion blur. I love the super fast Eye AF too. Will sometimes shoot 20fps if I see a big moment coming, but it wasn't what sold me on the A9. I'm more than willing to sacrifice DR and resolution for these benefits because my keeper rate has skyrocketed.

It's great to have so many options with cameras today. RIV adds another great option.

MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,569

I've long wanted a Sony APS-C with a9/a7rxx ergonomics. Once I discovered the Riv's crop mode was more pixel dense than a D500/a6500/etc and has a 200 frame buffer I immediately ordered. I've lived it and seen many excellent examples of BIF work here with the Riii so that is a given with the Riv.....having a full frame landscape capable camera in conjunction with a capable APS-c inside is a dream body.

So what if Sony releases a true cropper, the mini-a9? I'd sell my a9 immediately and be happy with the mini and the Riv.

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 +56 more
Silat Shooter
Silat Shooter Contributing Member • Posts: 872

This has been an interesting read.  I'm with just about everyone here.  My A9 isn't going anywhere.  I'll echo other's comments such as blackout-free shooting is hard to give up, silent shooting is function I use all the time and the camera's tracking is addictive.  I'm waiting on the next A9 and will likely add that and turn my current A9 as my second body.

Sure the hi res of the A7IV is nice, but I'd need that less than the functions I just mentioned which are used consistently.  If I had the $$$$ I'd add the A7IV, but I rather continue to save for the A9 II.

Silat Shooter's gear list:Silat Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 +31 more
kencopen
kencopen New Member • Posts: 5

seiko4169 wrote:

Not even close. No black out free shooting and a rather bland predictable upgrade list. Reminds me of the cpu upgrades. (Boring)

I’m waiting at least for the a9ii assuming it’s the a9 plus 36 meg res sensor, higher dr, higher res evf, higher res rear screen, tethering via usb-c etc but even that will likely come across quite incremental. This would to me offer a great balance and would offer enough pixels for me whilst keeping the magical black out free immediate focus capabilities of the a9.

If I dream I’d love a top panel lcd instead of a zillion dials to make the interface more modern and a beautiful rear screen touch screen interface with speed and focusing ability.

I don’t even mind paying a premium for it, so I’m hoping Sony create the a9 as a genuine flagship that leads the way.

-- hide signature --

I'm reading this post in absolute sadness now seeing what we actually got on the A9ii. Ugh Sony.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9010840@N07/albums

kencopen's gear list:kencopen's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III
seiko4169 Forum Member • Posts: 85

Tell me about it. The A9ii offers nothing for me other than a chance to save spending. I suspect I’ve jumped on the Sony band wagon just as they slow down. If it wasn’t for silent blackout free shooting I’d have already jumped ship. I’m hanging on to the Sony brand by a finger tip now and hope they don’t rest on their laurels too long.

seiko4169's gear list:seiko4169's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,569

Having plaid with the Riv now for a bit over a week I wouldn't be so quick to denounce the a9ii....the body/ergonomics/handing of the Riv is an extreme upgrade for the feeling in hand and the new BBF button. The finger depressing in the grip is a wonderful addition as well. I'm not upping to the a9ii, maybe the a9iii when the pixels go up, but for those who do, well they'll love the body upgrades.

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 +56 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads