Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,365
Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Tempting if you don't need the 20 fps especially.

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

Kansas Ron's gear list:Kansas Ron's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
seiko4169 Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Not even close. No black out free shooting and a rather bland predictable upgrade list. Reminds me of the cpu upgrades. (Boring)

I’m waiting at least for the a9ii assuming it’s the a9 plus 36 meg res sensor, higher dr, higher res evf, higher res rear screen, tethering via usb-c etc but even that will likely come across quite incremental. This would to me offer a great balance and would offer enough pixels for me whilst keeping the magical black out free immediate focus capabilities of the a9.

If I dream I’d love a top panel lcd instead of a zillion dials to make the interface more modern and a beautiful rear screen touch screen interface with speed and focusing ability.

I don’t even mind paying a premium for it, so I’m hoping Sony create the a9 as a genuine flagship that leads the way.

seiko4169's gear list:seiko4169's gear list
Sony a9 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +2 more
Annom Forum Member • Posts: 51

No chance .  I think they are for different photographers.  It looks great .  But imagine the file size - an new laptop would probably be required 

Annom's gear list:Annom's gear list
Sony a9 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
kilofox Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Not selling the A9.... but probably the 7III     

kilofox's gear list:kilofox's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +7 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,557

Kansas Ron wrote:

Even at 10 fps, the A9 has 60 AF calcs/sec so should have a higher hit rate at 10 fps

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
lovehifi Regular Member • Posts: 455

No. Just bought mine during the last Sony Rebate. Plus while the A7R4 is AF faster than the MKIII I am not sure it would be A9 fast. Especially when it comes to tracking. If I do upgrade it will be my A7RIII that goes but I am happy with even that. At least for now.

Leo3 Regular Member • Posts: 469

seiko4169 wrote:

Not even close. No black out free shooting and a rather bland predictable upgrade list. Reminds me of the cpu upgrades. (Boring)

I’m waiting at least for the a9ii assuming it’s the a9 plus 36 meg res sensor, higher dr, higher res evf, higher res rear screen, tethering via usb-c etc but even that will likely come across quite incremental. This would to me offer a great balance and would offer enough pixels for me whilst keeping the magical black out free immediate focus capabilities of the a9.

If I dream I’d love a top panel lcd instead of a zillion dials to make the interface more modern and a beautiful rear screen touch screen interface with speed and focusing ability.

I don’t even mind paying a premium for it, so I’m hoping Sony create the a9 as a genuine flagship that leads the way.

Agree, a9ii is what would tempt me with 36mp, black out free higher res EVF, and i wouldn't even care if they dropped the 20fps down to 15 as long as mp went up to 36. Better weather sealing would also be a must. GPS would be nice but not a must. lock on the exposure dial would be much appreciated (and expected since they put it on A7r iv)

Leo3's gear list:Leo3's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Sigma 500mm F4 Sport +5 more
Zefah Regular Member • Posts: 379

No... Wait for the A9 II which is likely coming later this year and will have all of the usability upgrades in the A7R IV and probably more.

If the speed or blackout free and silent shooting wasn't important to you, why didn't you already move to an A7R III?

Zefah's gear list:Zefah's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +8 more
ShotsByCC New Member • Posts: 5

Yes, I'm going to go from an A9 to A7RIV I believe. Some may see it as a downgrade or why not wait until A9 2. But in regards to waiting until A9 2, no idea when they maybe, and presumably will be a lot more money than the already expensive A7R IV and if I trade in A9 now will be worth a lot more than when A9 2 Is released in my opinnion. Also no guarantee the A9 2 will be an r model and will more likely focus on speed than resolution.

I didn't get A9 for the 20 fps, nice bonus, rather it was several features it had at the time over the A7 options. I can't recall them all at this time.

The A7r IV gets us USB-C transfer and charging, a button for compensation dial (massive since it always gets turn on me), and removal of the speed dial so that we can program shooting speeds into custom modes/buttons, two UHS-II card slots rather than one, improved dynamic range, and 10fps is perfect for my needs. Enjoyed 20fps but ultimately spent forevering in Lightroom with all the extra shots. And the massive resolution increase is a major bonus. And can currently sell the a9 for roughly the cost of getting new a7r IV, while will cost me a few hundred extra.

Sounds like it's not totally blackout free, but most likely good enough if not a sports photographer. Also 74% coverage vs I think 93% coverage with A9, so that's more of a significant downside but the other benefits may out weight that. Also ISO is a lot higher on A9 I believe, but I've never used those extremely high numbers before so won't affect me but may depending no your type of shooting.

So if you bought A9 for sports photography (as it was intended) then I imagine you will want to wait for A9 2. If you bought it because it was the best overall camera at the time and had better features compared to other options at the time, then yes a7r IV may be a nice upgrade. Depending which of those you are tho you will probably feel strongly one way of the other.

Photography Matters Regular Member • Posts: 119

ShotsByCC wrote:

Yes, I'm going to go from an A9 to A7RIV I believe. Some may see it as a downgrade or why not wait until A9 2. But in regards to waiting until A9 2, no idea when they maybe, and presumably will be a lot more money than the already expensive A7R IV and if I trade in A9 now will be worth a lot more than when A9 2 Is released in my opinnion. Also no guarantee the A9 2 will be an r model and will more likely focus on speed than resolution.

I didn't get A9 for the 20 fps, nice bonus, rather it was several features it had at the time over the A7 options. I can't recall them all at this time.

The A7r IV gets us USB-C transfer and charging, a button for compensation dial (massive since it always gets turn on me), and removal of the speed dial so that we can program shooting speeds into custom modes/buttons, two UHS-II card slots rather than one, improved dynamic range, and 10fps is perfect for my needs. Enjoyed 20fps but ultimately spent forevering in Lightroom with all the extra shots. And the massive resolution increase is a major bonus. And can currently sell the a9 for roughly the cost of getting new a7r IV, while will cost me a few hundred extra.

Sounds like it's not totally blackout free, but most likely good enough if not a sports photographer. Also 74% coverage vs I think 93% coverage with A9, so that's more of a significant downside but the other benefits may out weight that. Also ISO is a lot higher on A9 I believe, but I've never used those extremely high numbers before so won't affect me but may depending no your type of shooting.

So if you bought A9 for sports photography (as it was intended) then I imagine you will want to wait for A9 2. If you bought it because it was the best overall camera at the time and had better features compared to other options at the time, then yes a7r IV may be a nice upgrade. Depending which of those you are tho you will probably feel strongly one way of the other.

Very thoughtful response.  It is helping me clarify my thinking.

I started a similar thread this morning asking about whether to go for the IV or wait for the A9 II.  The responses in these two threads have me leaning towards the A9 II.

My interest is increasingly in the direction of action and BIF photography, and I need all the tracking and AF help I can get, so the A7R IV--unless testing surprises and  it equals or comes very close to the A9's AF--is off the table. I'd love to have an all-purpose camera, and if the A9 II is 32-36MP, I'll be all over it. However, if the resolution doesn't increase to that range and other improvements are merely incremental, I'll pick up the Mark 1 version of the A9.  By that time, it might be available for $3000.

OP Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,365

ShotsByCC wrote:

Things I really lie in the R4 are the even higher rate EVF, higher MP, the improved camera grip (there was side-by-side on SAR and it is definitely a big improvement with little extra body size), both card slots the same (higher speed), and the improved sealing.   Things I would miss from the A9 would be the no blackout EVF, AF speed, and the fact that I would have to pay around $400-500 more to change - although the A92 will probably be $4500 when released (speculation).

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

Kansas Ron's gear list:Kansas Ron's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
robert614 Senior Member • Posts: 1,630

I think I’m going to hold off and see what other camera bodies (i.e. A9II, high end aps-c?) Sony is going to announce.

I don’t really want to give up the blackout free EVF. But I do want more reach. The high resolution of the R4 is very tempting.

Hopefully I can resist the GAS and wait to see what else is up for offer this year.

Michael Kaplan
Michael Kaplan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,385

The right tool for the right job. They are designed for different purposes.
The A9 is a Sports Wildlife Camera.
The A7RIV is more for Landscapes/ Studio work.

Of course, you can use any camera for anything but they excel in what they were designed for. That is why I have a Nikon Z7 (46MP) and the A9.

I do sometimes take both cameras with me but if I go out birding, I only take the A9 and if I am going out somewhere for most other things, I take the Z7.

-- hide signature --
 Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon Z7 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony RX100 III +27 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,621
Possible

The Jury's still out on the AFC for birding

Will it be close to the A9's?

If it is 80% of A9's I'm in since the extra MP cropping capability is invaluable for birding

Will impatiently wait for any birder's review on its capability for that genre

Everything else is just icing on the cake

I do like the new EVF, the larger AF-ON , larger grip but will miss the left dial on the A9

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,090
Re: Possible

The a7r4 af points only cover 74% of the image area but Sony only mentioned 100%+ af point coverage IN APS-C mode when this info came up on the screen.

I also cannot shoot without blackout anymore

I love the left dial on the a9.

I hope they add the new features on a7r4 on the a9.  red af, custom setting save/load..etc.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
TripleCoatedBokeh Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Possible

It's sports vs static subjects, imo.  Different tools for different jobs.

Yes this is oversimplified, i know the A9 can do fine with static and i'm sure the Riv will do great with sports and wildlife.

Zefah Regular Member • Posts: 379

ShotsByCC wrote:

Fair enough. If you don't need what the A9 offers and prefer what the A7R IV offers, it would make sense to make the jump.

I'll never understand this particular complaint/criticism/comment about "extra shots" that one "doesn't need."

Yes, it takes longer to sort through bursts before processing the,, but there's no way of telling which of the shots you ultimately decided were keepers were shots that you only got because you shot at a high frame rate.

The A9 gives you the ability to really pick out hero shots from a selection of "keepers" if you ask me. Not to say 10 FPS is bad or anything, and I suppose this is another thing in which "ignorance is bliss" might apply.

Yeah, I bought the A9 for its C-AF performance, deep buffer, and silent/blackout-free shooting. I actually switched from an A7R II, and initially thought I would miss the resolution. I did somewhat, but 24MP was enough for me in most situations and while I can't say I don't miss the A7R II files at all, it was a small enough difference that I ended up sticking with the speed and performance of the A9.

Zefah's gear list:Zefah's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +8 more
captivatingphotography Junior Member • Posts: 44
As with all kit...

The questions to ask, 100% of the time, is what do you need your equipment to do, will this be sufficiently capable and provide more than you currently possess, and can you/your business afford it?

Assuming this is not a pipe dream and money is the least consideration, then it tends to be an easier question these days, curiously, as the bottom line is that most gear is superb, regardless of make and model.

In this particular case, the A9 gives superb pictures in most scenarios and is blisteringly fast doing so. Where it falls down in comparison is, of course, the resolution, a little noisier perhaps, and the DR. Bear in mind, though, that this is a comparison and I've not come across a situation yet where the A9 failed to get the desired result for me.

That said, if those particular areas are the very ones that you make use of more than any other, it would be a 'no-brainer'.

For me, I crave the speed and baulk at the processing being any slower, together with the massive storage requirements, that the A7Riv would likely bring.

Wendy_P New Member • Posts: 2

Zefah wrote:

ShotsByCC wrote:

Yeah, I bought the A9 for its C-AF performance, deep buffer, and silent/blackout-free shooting. I actually switched from an A7R II, and initially thought I would miss the resolution. I did somewhat, but 24MP was enough for me in most situations and while I can't say I don't miss the A7R II files at all, it was a small enough difference that I ended up sticking with the speed and performance of the A9.

I switched last month from the A7RII to the A9 and I think I do miss the resolution. In general I am using my camera for photographing pets. (cats, in house - dogs in forest etc.) Which results in 7 out of 10 photo's that I will crop with a maximum of 1/3rd and lighten up the pictures in Lightroom for more details.
They prommised that even when you crop the files with 1/3rd you still can print the photo's in a size of 150cm. The A9 was supposed to have the same quality of picture at 4000-6000ISO in comparization of 800ISO of the RII. Faster AF, more light sesitive etc. Best things you can want if you shoot animals in a bit adarker places. Sounded as heaven. So I made the switch. In reality there is still a lot of noice in pictures of a cloudy day with 2000ISO. Not possible to crop with 1/3rd or lighten it up in Lightroom without even more noice. I have to admit that the pictures were 2 or 3 stops to dark, but I couldn't recall that that was a problem with the RII.

At this point I realy am wondering if I made the right choice and switch back to the R, maybe RIV and say goodbay to the A9 (although it is a fantastic camera for exception of the MP).

So to Zefah: can you take away my doubts based on your experience regarding the 24MP, did I just made a mistake or I am better of with the RIV with more resolution but misscing the super fast AF and no blackouts?

Wendy_P's gear list:Wendy_P's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +1 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 1,648

Kansas Ron wrote:

Or .... silent blackout free shooting and the fastest most nimble focus tracking available anywhere

If you don’t think that’s important you probably just shoot landscapes

Anyway.. You’ll need to pry my A9 from my fingers once you knocked me unconscious (at least until the coming A9ii offers much more).

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads