Z6 - stabilization artifacts on videos in the corners

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Michael Sengers
Michael Sengers Forum Member • Posts: 77
Z6 - stabilization artifacts on videos in the corners

I have the feeling, that the ISS stabilization looks odd in the corner on videos. It stretches the image in the corners, specially on wide angle.

All shots are handheld with ISS on. Kit lens 24-70/4S.

Here is an example:

https://vimeo.com/348453807

Do you have the same experience. Any remedy except to stabilize in FCP?

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Z6 - stabilization artifacts on videos in the corners

I've seen this with other camera models with IBIS.  I think it is the nature of the beast.

my-2-cents Forum Member • Posts: 99

I've noticed it quite frequently on my Z7 as well.... I figured it is the IBS but wondered if that is what we should expect, or if other brand's IBIS also shows this.

-- hide signature --
sunnycal
sunnycal Regular Member • Posts: 312

Do you have electronic stabilization on?

sunnycal's gear list:sunnycal's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D810 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
Michael Sengers
OP Michael Sengers Forum Member • Posts: 77

No.

Thank you for all the replies. Seems to be a IBIS typical thing. Then I can live with it.

MattiD80 Contributing Member • Posts: 729

I know why this is. Wide lenses, always bend the images a bit, especially in extreme corners. In an images (2D) you don't really see it (especially after correction), unless it's such shot like UWA trees, where the roots bend at bottom. That's 'perspective distortion'. If you move camera even a little bit, those corners will bend in a much different way, but outside of those corners, the images renders 'succesfully' flat. The corners are basically over compensated (bended). This is worse in zooms. And should be worse in 24-70mm F4 as it has highest distortion in class so far (as far as i'm aware). IBIS makes it worse, as it basically extends the 'center that is used of the lens', by going up and down, further away from center into the worse zone that bends the image more. Weirdly enough my 24-70mm VR never showed this to big extend, i think it's because of the oversized lens (82mm), flatter field, and better distortion correction.

If you look true viewfinder (or EVF), and shake the camera a lot, with foregrond (like roots of trees), and far stuff (like branches in upper corners), you will see this fish-eye like effect of stuff in corners becoming small, then massive, then small.

When you zoom, you will see corners suddenly become less bended, and if you zoom out, more. This IBIS that Z- camera have, does sort of zooming effect. Image doesnt zoom in, but if IBIS move to one corner, that corner gets the 'bending' effect, wich equals a bit what zooming looks like. It looks like IBIS will have this look on Wide images, try 50-70mm, i think this problem shouldnt exist there, cause there is no image bending from thos focal length, maybe a little bit with zoom lenses. Over corrected lenses like Sigma 40mm F1.4 art will have this effect much less, cause they don't rely on corner bending to get stuff in frame, but a slow and steady 'widening of the elements (wich it has a ton off, wich is why it's heavy and so sharp at F1.4). The 14-30mm F4 should have this even more, because of it's UWA nature, and F4 distoration compromise design.

My nikon 20mm also has this. IF you move up or down, the corners render extremely different, they 'bend' out and inwards, while rest of image stays same. It's why i recognize it so fast in video, cause i learned to work with it on UWA lens.

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297

Michael Sengers wrote:

I have the feeling, that the ISS stabilization looks odd in the corner on videos. It stretches the image in the corners, specially on wide angle.

All shots are handheld with ISS on. Kit lens 24-70/4S.

Here is an example:

https://vimeo.com/348453807

Do you have the same experience. Any remedy except to stabilize in FCP?

Just curious if you stabilized the IBIS stabilized footage in FCP and FCP was able to compensate for the over-compensation of the IBIS footage? The FCP footage looked pretty good.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads