61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 12,023
61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
4

There will be some 35mm MP competition to the 50MP MF systems with the new Alpha

Key Features:

  • World’s first(1) 35mm full-frame 61.0 MP(2) back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor with latest-generation BIONZ X™ image processor
  • 15-stop(3) dynamic range at low sensitivities, resulting in smooth, natural gradations ranging from deep shadows to highlights
  • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps(4) with full AF / AE tracking for approximately seven seconds(5) in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times as long in APS-C mode
  • 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of image area and 425 contrast AF points
  • Debut of Real-time Eye AF for movie recording(6) and advanced Real-time Tracking(7) plus Real-time Eye AF for still image recording
  • Features an APS-C crop mode delivering stunning high resolution images of 26.2MP(2)
  • 5.76 million dot UXGA (Ultra-XGA) OLED Tru-Finder™ electronic viewfinder with outstanding detail, brightness and contrast
  • Upgraded connectivity and operability including high-speed Wi-Fi support, wireless PC remote connectivity(8), FTP wireless transfer, faster data transfer via USB and more
  • Professional 4K movie recording functionality including full pixel readout with no pixel binning in Super 35mm mode(9), S-Log3, HDR workflow support
  • Multi Interface Shoe™ with digital audio interface delivers the high-quality sound recording with Sony’s new microphone and XLR microphone adaptor
  • Additional enhancements to the body design include an improved grip and button layout for improved control with compact, lightweight body
-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

 Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm FinePix X100 +42 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
1

Chris Dodkin wrote:

There will be some 35mm MP competition to the 50MP MF systems with the new Alpha

Key Features:

  • World’s first(1) 35mm full-frame 61.0 MP(2) back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor with latest-generation BIONZ X™ image processor
  • 15-stop(3) dynamic range at low sensitivities, resulting in smooth, natural gradations ranging from deep shadows to highlights
  • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps(4) with full AF / AE tracking for approximately seven seconds(5) in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times as long in APS-C mode
  • 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of image area and 425 contrast AF points
  • Debut of Real-time Eye AF for movie recording(6) and advanced Real-time Tracking(7) plus Real-time Eye AF for still image recording
  • Features an APS-C crop mode delivering stunning high resolution images of 26.2MP(2)
  • 5.76 million dot UXGA (Ultra-XGA) OLED Tru-Finder™ electronic viewfinder with outstanding detail, brightness and contrast
  • Upgraded connectivity and operability including high-speed Wi-Fi support, wireless PC remote connectivity(8), FTP wireless transfer, faster data transfer via USB and more
  • Professional 4K movie recording functionality including full pixel readout with no pixel binning in Super 35mm mode(9), S-Log3, HDR workflow support
  • Multi Interface Shoe™ with digital audio interface delivers the high-quality sound recording with Sony’s new microphone and XLR microphone adaptor
  • Additional enhancements to the body design include an improved grip and button layout for improved control with compact, lightweight body

They have implemented pixel shifting as well which can get them up to 240 MP.

Looks like it will a speed advantage as well in the AF system and operations compared to the GFX 50 line - may even beat the newer 100 line.

Price wise - it will be very comparable unless Fujifilm reprices their 50 line.

Guess it will come down to the lenses.

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,588
Yep

Chris Dodkin wrote:

There will be some 35mm MP competition to the 50MP MF systems with the new Alpha

Key Features:

  • World’s first(1) 35mm full-frame 61.0 MP(2) back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor with latest-generation BIONZ X™ image processor
  • 15-stop(3) dynamic range at low sensitivities, resulting in smooth, natural gradations ranging from deep shadows to highlights
  • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps(4) with full AF / AE tracking for approximately seven seconds(5) in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times as long in APS-C mode
  • 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of image area and 425 contrast AF points
  • Debut of Real-time Eye AF for movie recording(6) and advanced Real-time Tracking(7) plus Real-time Eye AF for still image recording
  • Features an APS-C crop mode delivering stunning high resolution images of 26.2MP(2)
  • 5.76 million dot UXGA (Ultra-XGA) OLED Tru-Finder™ electronic viewfinder with outstanding detail, brightness and contrast
  • Upgraded connectivity and operability including high-speed Wi-Fi support, wireless PC remote connectivity(8), FTP wireless transfer, faster data transfer via USB and more
  • Professional 4K movie recording functionality including full pixel readout with no pixel binning in Super 35mm mode(9), S-Log3, HDR workflow support
  • Multi Interface Shoe™ with digital audio interface delivers the high-quality sound recording with Sony’s new microphone and XLR microphone adaptor
  • Additional enhancements to the body design include an improved grip and button layout for improved control with compact, lightweight body
-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +10 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
1

I think the real question is what is the resolving power of the FF system vs the 44x33 system?   Definitely comes down to the resolving power of the glass.

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: G Masters were supposedly designed for 100 MP...

If you believe their engineers - the G Master lenses were designed for it.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4410376132/sony-engineer-interview-g-master-lens-design

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,588
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution

moimoi wrote:

I think the real question is what is the resolving power of the FF system vs the 44x33 system? Definitely comes down to the resolving power of the glass.

It's going to have a 4.88 pixel pitch vs. 5.33 for the 50s and 3.76 for the GFX 100. It has the potential to resolve more detail than the 50s depending on lenses as you allude to.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +10 more
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,122
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
2

I would love to be a Fujifilm engineer at this moment. Imagine the rush of excitement and challenge on how they're going to compete against this beast.

I think Fujifilm will need to expedite their 50S and 50R updates after this announcement. They'll have to target 75MP, IBIS, BSI, PDAF, etc. to stay in the game.

Sony has another winner on its hands here! I assume Greg will be pre-ordering one...

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm GFX50R review: https://fcracer.com/fujifilm-gfx-50r-first-impressions/
Medium format travel camera: https://fcracer.com/medium-format-travel-camera/
Travel and photography blog: https://fcracer.com

 fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R +14 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
6

fcracer wrote:

I think Fujifilm will need to expedite their 50S and 50R updates after this announcement. They'll have to target 75MP, IBIS, BSI, PDAF, etc. to stay in the game.

Sony has another winner on its hands here! I assume Greg will be pre-ordering one...

I think we all have to be very careful about the MP race. More MP does not necessarily mean better image resolution as the sensor is only one part of the equation. Sony colors by default are not that great either.

I am sure there will be a LOT of new users coming to this board stating the FF is as good as what larger sensors can produce. For sure I will absolutely stay away from those conversations.

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
3

fcracer wrote:

I would love to be a Fujifilm engineer at this moment. Imagine the rush of excitement and challenge on how they're going to compete against this beast.

I think Fujifilm will need to expedite their 50S and 50R updates after this announcement. They'll have to target 75MP, IBIS, BSI, PDAF, etc. to stay in the game.

Sony has another winner on its hands here! I assume Greg will be pre-ordering one...

Hi,

AFAIK they have done that, it is called GFX 100...

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Website: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution

Wait until Canon comes out with an 80mp camera.

 Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Sample gallery here
1

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/3383580260/sony-a7r-iv-sample-gallery

Far from Fuji GFX territory 

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: Sample gallery here
1

moimoi wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/3383580260/sony-a7r-iv-sample-gallery

Far from Fuji GFX territory

Looks very similar to any other SOOC shot taken by people who have never used that camera before. In fact - its looks very similar to these

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/1463266434/sample-gallery-fujifilm-gfx-100-in-japan

Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,348
Re: Sony Semi-conductor wins
2

fcracer wrote:

I would love to be a Fujifilm engineer at this moment. Imagine the rush of excitement and challenge on how they're going to compete against this beast.

I think Fujifilm will need to expedite their 50S and 50R updates after this announcement. They'll have to target 75MP, IBIS, BSI, PDAF, etc. to stay in the game.

Sony has another winner on its hands here! I assume Greg will be pre-ordering one...

Funny how every manufacturer is chasing after the same customer – the camera market is really collapsing.

The convergence of the MF and 35mm market is really amazing.

Fujifilm is shrinking the size of MF bodies, speeding them up in operations, improving the AF systems to be almost like a mirrorless 35mm AF system, and dropping the body prices to the upper 35mm camera levels for the 50r.

While, Sony is moving up the sensor pixel count nativity and also with computation methods, improving the resolution of lenses for the higher pixel count to rival MF systems.

I would love to be Sony Semi-conductor here.

You buy a Sony camera – Sony semi-conductor got the sensor sale. You buy a Nikon / Fujifilm APS-C camera – Sony semi-conductor got the sensor sale. You buy a Fujifilm MF camera – Sony semi-conductor got the sensor sale. You buy Hasselblad - Sony Semi-conductor got the sensor sale.

Only if you buy a Canon would Sony semi-conductor lose the sale.

moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Re: Sample gallery here

Canadianguy wrote:

moimoi wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/3383580260/sony-a7r-iv-sample-gallery

Far from Fuji GFX territory

Looks very similar to any other SOOC shot taken by people who have never used that camera before. In fact - its looks very similar to these

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/1463266434/sample-gallery-fujifilm-gfx-100-in-japan

Because they use Adobe ACR or Lightroom (which are not very good). Adobe PS is excellent, but their raw converter are subpar

This is from C1 at ISO 6400 (I only trust my own hands). Clean and sharp.  This is what the GFX camera can produce!

https://gofile.io/?c=f37cgP

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Re: Sony Semi-conductor wins
1

Canadianguy wrote:

Only if you buy a Canon would Sony semi-conductor lose the sale.

Except that Canon knows how to make some fantastic glass. Their new R series kills all the competition. I had my hands on the 28-70 f/2. A monster of a lens, but the IQ is superb. That prevents me to sell my Canon gear. That 35 mm 1.4 ii is also a gem.

-- hide signature --

Digital: Fujifilm GFX50R / Canon 5Div
Film: Minolta X570 / Canon EOS 3
http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.instagram.com/maxsiegler645/
And back to Analog Photography as well, oh well!
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
theacguy71
theacguy71 Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution

moimoi wrote:

I think the real question is what is the resolving power of the FF system vs the 44x33 system? Definitely comes down to the resolving power of the glass.

Im right in the middle of switching from the A7R3 to the 50s,  part of the reason was for medium format experience , the fuji ergonomics, and the IQ

I too am curious about the Fuji GF glass vs Sony GM glass??

Curious if the Sony, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses can match the new sensors??

Competition is good, hopefully we will get better cameras in the future

 theacguy71's gear list:theacguy71's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
Steve in Colorado Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution

Must resist ...

 Steve in Colorado's gear list:Steve in Colorado's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Navman Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
3

theacguy71 wrote:

moimoi wrote:

I think the real question is what is the resolving power of the FF system vs the 44x33 system? Definitely comes down to the resolving power of the glass.

Im right in the middle of switching from the A7R3 to the 50s, part of the reason was for medium format experience , the fuji ergonomics, and the IQ

I too am curious about the Fuji GF glass vs Sony GM glass??

Curious if the Sony, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses can match the new sensors??

Competition is good, hopefully we will get better cameras in the future

I came from a Sony A7RII shooting a Loxia 21, ZM Distagon 35 and Loxia 85 - I would rate the GF 23 every bit as good as the Loxia 21, and the GF 45 is better than any 35 I was able to find on the Sony. The GF 110 is a very different concept to the Loxia 85, but optically delivers every bit as well if not ahead. I also have the GF 250, but did not have a Sony equivalent with which to compare it - I would rate it as one of the best lenses that I've ever owned. Overall, my impression is that the Fuji glass easily matches anything available on the Sony, and in some cases is clearly ahead.

Putting lenses aside, I take great delight in using a camera that operates in a way that is logical and consistent, with operations and menus functioning mostly in a highly intuitive manner - the 50R's long exposure and multiple exposure facility in particular is streets ahead of the A7RII. And although its a niche application, the Fuji is a phenomenal performer for astro compared to Sony's crippled astro performance because of its spatial filtering and narrower spectral sensitivity.

I'm now in the process of selling my Sony gear, which sums up my conclusions...

-John

 Navman's gear list:Navman's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R
theacguy71
theacguy71 Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
1

Navman wrote:

theacguy71 wrote:

moimoi wrote:

I think the real question is what is the resolving power of the FF system vs the 44x33 system? Definitely comes down to the resolving power of the glass.

Im right in the middle of switching from the A7R3 to the 50s, part of the reason was for medium format experience , the fuji ergonomics, and the IQ

I too am curious about the Fuji GF glass vs Sony GM glass??

Curious if the Sony, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses can match the new sensors??

Competition is good, hopefully we will get better cameras in the future

I came from a Sony A7RII shooting a Loxia 21, ZM Distagon 35 and Loxia 85 - I would rate the GF 23 every bit as good as the Loxia 21, and the GF 45 is better than any 35 I was able to find on the Sony. The GF 110 is a very different concept to the Loxia 85, but optically delivers every bit as well if not ahead. I also have the GF 250, but did not have a Sony equivalent with which to compare it - I would rate it as one of the best lenses that I've ever owned. Overall, my impression is that the Fuji glass easily matches anything available on the Sony, and in some cases is clearly ahead.

Putting lenses aside, I take great delight in using a camera that operates in a way that is logical and consistent, with operations and menus functioning mostly in a highly intuitive manner - the 50R's long exposure and multiple exposure facility in particular is streets ahead of the A7RII. And although its a niche application, the Fuji is a phenomenal performer for astro compared to Sony's crippled astro performance because of its spatial filtering and narrower spectral sensitivity.

I'm now in the process of selling my Sony gear, which sums up my conclusions...

-John

Agreed,  after searching through hundreds of images online,  there is something about the Fuji GFX  system and lenses that attracts me, more detail, more "pop" if you will?

Ive seen a lot of excellent images from Sony, Zeiss and Voigtlander as well

Im anxious to see the difference if any on Capture 1 and post processing time and effort as well

 theacguy71's gear list:theacguy71's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
pascal b
pascal b Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: 61MP Sony 35mm arrives today to compete with MF resolution
5

Chris Dodkin wrote:

There will be some 35mm MP competition to the 50MP MF systems with the new Alpha

Key Features:

Even if it was never announced as a key feature on the FF world, at least for me, the 4:3 and 1:1 Image ratio finally announced by Sony on an A7 body is a breaking point feature.

Now I (we) can finally compare a 44x33mm 50MP / 100MP "small"medium format with a 32x24mm 54MP even smaller medium format system

61MP 3:2
54MP 4:3
40MP 1:1

Pascal

 pascal b's gear list:pascal b's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads