YI M1 : What do you think?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Alchimista Forum Member • Posts: 57
YI M1 : What do you think?

Hi,

What do you think about the YI M1 mirrorless camera?

I round It at 250 USD with two lenses

I read a lot about and It seem a good camera... Or not?

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,044
Re: YI M1 : What do you think?

Alchimista wrote:

Hi,

might be worth it if you can use other manufacturer's lens on it

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 16,105

It was intended to be a social camera, so it should be Ok for that.  For more advanced uses I would shop around for a used Panasonic M4/3.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,596

beagle1 wrote:

Alchimista wrote:

Hi,

might be worth it if you can use other manufacturer's lens on it.

It uses the M4/3 mount so, AFAIK, all M4/3 lenses can be used on it.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Aristide Rutilant New Member • Posts: 21

Well the review on this very site is less than enthused. It's not an utter and complete disaster, and it says it's quite good "for a first camera", there's been some software updates to address some issues, but it's still quite a low score compared to most comparable cameras.

But the question is probably more about whether you can live with the shortcomings, which looks like the rather slow tactile interface and sub-par autofocus performance.

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,950

You get what you pay for, basically. It's the cheapest way to get a 20mp Micro 4/3 camera and a dual kit for $250 is a steal.

There were multiple firmware updates improving the camera, but you will not get as refined experience as from a twice as expensive Panasonic.

It is a proper Micro 4/3 camera, so you can use other lenses on it, and there are a lot of them. And quite a few very compact ones, which would make it a somewhat pocketable camera.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

It depends, it's basic and far from perfect, but with the dual kit lens it's quite cheap. The image quality alone is not too different from other M4/3 cameras.

One thing to watch out for is that many M4/3 cameras have IBIS, but the YI M1 does not.

I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, but more to a more knowledgeable photographer that understands the weaknesses and wants good value for money.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro FastStone Photo Resizer +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads