Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Michiel953
OP Michiel953 Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Michiel953 wrote:

I'm not unhappy. I was just wondering about so many negative comments about what is an almost ten years old lens.

The 35mm f1.4 was designed by Mr Haruo Sato who also designed the 58mm. He mentioned somewhere that the 35mm f1.4 was his first attempt to create a lens with interesting imaging characteristics, but compared to the 58mm this lens prioritized sharpness more. I haven't used this lens but I would guess it tries to achieve nice bokeh at max aperture at the expense of sharpness in the image plane.

So it really depends on what you are after. The unique characteristics of this lens may or may not be what you like; it seems you do. It appears you also own the 58mm? If you go by Internet talk you better get rid of that at once too!

Regards

loL! Not going to get rid of those in a hurry. The 58 is fantastic, its rendering even more mesmerizing than the 35 (and the lesser used 24 and 85 1,4G's).

-- hide signature --

I'll play it first, and tell you what it is later

Michiel953's gear list:Michiel953's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Michiel953

58/1.4G @ f4.0, D850

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,894

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Michiel953 wrote:

I'm not unhappy. I was just wondering about so many negative comments about what is an almost ten years old lens.

The 35mm f1.4 was designed by Mr Haruo Sato who also designed the 58mm. He mentioned somewhere that the 35mm f1.4 was his first attempt to create a lens with interesting imaging characteristics, but compared to the 58mm this lens prioritized sharpness more. I haven't used this lens but I would guess it tries to achieve nice bokeh at max aperture at the expense of sharpness in the image plane.

So it really depends on what you are after. The unique characteristics of this lens may or may not be what you like; it seems you do. It appears you also own the 58mm? If you go by Internet talk you better get rid of that at once too!

Regards

If my memory serves me right he designed the 200/2.0. too?!

And the 70-300 CX, the best lens in the Nikon 1 lineup, and better than the AF_P version, by a wide margin!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson

Michiel953 wrote:

58/1.4G @ f4.0, D850

Totally delightful!

I just own the 58/1.4 made by Voigtlander!

Not a bad lens, but not in the same price class as the Nikon!

-- hide signature --

Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,649

No, Haruo Sato never did any of the big telephotos.

Mitsuaki Wada did the 200/2G (and if I remember correctly, also the 60/2.8G AFS)

-m

Tord S Eriksson

anotherMike wrote:

No, Haruo Sato never did any of the telephotos.

Mitsuaki Wada did the 200/2G (and if I remember correctly, also the 60/2.8G AFS)

Mike,

Thanks for correcting me!

That 70-300 CX is an astounding lens, as it almost totally flare-resistant, and very very sharp. As is the 200/2.0!

Used to own that 60 as well, sadly sold it.

-- hide signature --

Michiel953

Thanks Tord! I had the Voigtlander 58 as well for use on my FM2n/FM3a, but sold it after a while because I like my 50/1.2 AiS better.

For digital I decided against manual focus lenses a long time ago (there went my lovely Zeiss primes...), for convenience sake really, and it's not as if Nikon doesn't make very good primes.

-- hide signature --

dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 839

anotherMike wrote:

No, Haruo Sato never did any of the big telephotos.

-m

Came across this reference page:

http://www.cameragossip.com/nikkor-lenses/nikon-lens-patents

Confirms your recollection.

dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Sevan
Sevan Regular Member • Posts: 176

I will also attest to what Mike said. The sigma 40 1.4 just really has its own "look" that very much resembles a Zeiss look. It's incredibly sharp (probably my sharpest lens along with the Zeiss Milvus 25 1.4 ZF2), and It's such a beautiful lens to use for environmental portraits, events ect. I've yet to shoot landscapes with it but based on my side by side testing I did with the sigma 35 1.4 it left me near speechless just how much better the 40 1.4 really is. It's wide open performance especially at infinity just blows away the sigma 35 1.4 and tamron 35 1.8 I used it against. I used it recently on a hike (what a bad idea that was! Sigma 40 is not a hike friendly lens LOL!) and oh man the way things just melt away, the colors and rendering is so gorgeous.

And as mike said too, everyone has a different taste and different tools for the job. I use my tamron 35 1.8 (been wanting to test out the tamron 35 1.4) for close up shots, and my sigma 40 1.4 for events and general shooting. The sigma 35 1.4 has been sitting in the corner lately

I was actually really lucky to grab a perfect brand new retail copy of the sigma 40 1.4 art discounted by $400. It was on sale at adorama for only one day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads