Weird 5DS Issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,698
Weird 5DS Issue

I just shot a batch of photos where the raw files are corrupted but the jpg files are not. This is actually good news because I thought I had a sensor issue, in part because the problem seemed to always occur half way through the sensor (middle of the sensor left/right). But if the problem is with the sensor, then the jpeg file should also be affected right? Oddly, the angle of view is different for the raw file than for the associated jpeg file. I'm attaching here a few of the corrupted files (well, jpegs converted from them).

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
Canon EOS 5DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,698
Re: Weird 5DS Issue

And here are the related camera-generated jpegs.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more

Victor Engel wrote:

Oddly, the angle of view is different for the raw file than for the associated jpeg file.

This could be because of lens correction being enabled in the raw converter, but it was turned off. Or does the jpeg engine do a lens correction process? I suppose I should check the camera settings for that.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Hmmm. I may have to change my idea. Here's a jpeg file that was corrupted.

... and here's the jpeg generated from the associated raw file.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

For my next shoot, I'll be removing the camera battery for some period of time and using a different card (I only ever had one card in the camera - both jpeg and raw were saved to the same card). I don't think it's a card issue, though, because the issue seems to always bisect the frame in the center.
Not all shots are affected.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

borno
borno Senior Member • Posts: 1,270

I had some files like that a few years ago on my 1ds2 and I'm pretty sure it was the cf card I was using. I changed cards and haven't seen it lately. Mine looked just like that.(hope I didn't jinx myself) : )

borno's gear list:borno's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

Must be a bug.

Sorry Victor couldn't resist. Probably a card failure but it 's weird I agree.

borno wrote:

I had some files like that a few years ago on my 1ds2 and I'm pretty sure it was the cf card I was using. I changed cards and haven't seen it lately. Mine looked just like that.(hope I didn't jinx myself) : )

Card integrity is one of the things I will be testing. It seems odd though that the raw files are the ones primarily affected, but maybe they're more vulnerable.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Joep van Steen
Joep van Steen Forum Member • Posts: 84

Victor Engel wrote:

Extracted or generated? The JPEG can be fixed, not exactly right yet .. :

-- hide signature --

Joep

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,035

Victor why shoot RAW and JPEG to one card when the camera has 2 slots ?

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Joep van Steen wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:

Extracted or generated? The JPEG can be fixed, not exactly right yet .. :

I have the camera set up to save raw and jpeg. The one I referred to as raw is a jpeg created by exporting from Lightroom using the raw file as a source. The other one is the unadjusted jpeg file generated by the camera.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Ken60 wrote:

Victor why shoot RAW and JPEG to one card when the camera has 2 slots ?

Because in order to use both slots I have to use two kinds of cards. I use compact flash cards. In order to use both, I'd have to purchase SD cards. Also, as has been pointed out several times, write speed is faster with CF only than with both cards in camera. Having said that, even if it is slower, the time to save all the files might be better with two cards since they would be done in parallel instead of serially. If I had appropriate SD cards to test with, I'd conduct such a test, but I don't.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

BTW, does anyone know of a utility that runs on OSX that can check the integrity of a CF card?

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor I use the 5DSR and use two cards all the time. I only ever use Sandisk Extreme cards and have never had an issue with speed.... I don't shoot sports !   I also shoot RAW to both, if one card goes down I want to still have a RAW file. 64 gig cards cost little these days .

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Ken60 wrote:

Victor I use the 5DSR and use two cards all the time. I only ever use Sandisk Extreme cards and have never had an issue with speed.... I don't shoot sports ! I also shoot RAW to both, if one card goes down I want to still have a RAW file. 64 gig cards cost little these days .

Well, you asked my reasons, and I gave them. The card in question is a 128GB 1066x Lexar card. This is the first issue I've had with it. I'm switching to a 64GB Lexar card except for testing on that 128GB card. My other cards are 32GB cards.
I won't be purchasing any more 128GB cards, I've found out from using it that 64GB is a better fit for me.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Perhaps relevantly, this was my first batch of shots after formatting in camera.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Way back in the 1990's all sorts of errors with cards were arriving. One of the rules that was written at that time, was to only reformat a card in the camera with which it was used.

I have followed this ever since, and try not to swap cards between cameras, and never format in the computer or laptop.  I have a very large SD and use this in place of the 64 gig SD to copy ( in camera)  all of the CF files ( RAW)  to the backup 256 SD.  At that point I have all of my RAWs on  3 cards.  Paranoia is the cure for technology glitches.

-- hide signature --

Ken60 wrote:

Way back in the 1990's all sorts of errors with cards were arriving. One of the rules that was written at that time, was to only reformat a card in the camera with which it was used.

I have followed this ever since, and try not to swap cards between cameras, and never format in the computer or laptop. I have a very large SD and use this in place of the 64 gig SD to copy ( in camera) all of the CF files ( RAW) to the backup 256 SD. At that point I have all of my RAWs on 3 cards. Paranoia is the cure for technology glitches.

Yep. That's a rule I follow, with one exception. If the sequence number just crosses over, I will remove all the supporting folders on the card so that the camera doesn't pick up the new number. This is an issue only when using multiple cards.
In the case of this bad card, I will probably be using a utility to test the card (I found f3 that will work on a Mac).

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Tentative Cause

It's the alignment of the planets!
I say this mainly because I had just changed batteries in my flash, had just reformatted the card in the camera, had used fresh settings on the flash because of the battery change, and finally, this morning, I noticed my computer's fans were running full speed and the computer would not respond to anything I did.
I got out of the computer issue by long pressing the power button on my Macbook Pro in order to restart the computer. I then renamed all the corrupted files (I thought I was going this on the computer disk, but I did it on the card by mistake. I then performed another import of the same files into Lightroom (this time with a different name), and they appeared fine.
So the problem was either with a connection between card and reader, between reader and computer, or with the computer. Because of the issue with the computer, I'm guessing the problem was there.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Re: Tentative Cause

So glad to see you have solved it ,.......... now I have seen a card corrupted during this conversation between computer and card reader . Perhaps a poor connection at the point where the USB cable plugs in ......... but there is a cure for this corruption ....

USE YOUR SECOND SLOT !

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads